Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Please help me, clever fork servicing people
  • getonyourbike
    Free Member

I’ve been working on my Rebas doing a lower lag service, changing the poploc to crown mounted lockout and new oil in the damper. I thought it all went pretty well but I’ve noticed that I can’t use all the travel, even with a stupidly low presure of 50 PSI in both chambers. It’s not the damper or too much oil in there as it’s all been done perfectly according to the manual and the poploc conversion is worknig eprfectly after a small hitch. The only thing I can think off is a tiny bit too much oil in the lowers, like 1-2ml.

Would this cause my problem? I’m thinking that this may be the cause as there was too much oil in the damper before and I could not get full travel even with no air in them but now I can get full travel with no air in them but as soon as there is jsut a bit fullt ravle is not possible. I’m going to go ahead with opening up the forks again on monday anyway but I was just asking incase it is another problem. These are the 2012 Reba RLTs if that makes a difference.

Cheers
    Pete

getonyourbike
    Free Member

Nobody? 🙁

Please LoCo, appear. Pretty please…

Shorty121
    Free Member

if there is too much oil in the dampner then you will not achieve full travel.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    franciscobegbie
    Free Member

You might be right about too much oil in the lowers.
    When I serviced mine, I did that and couldn’t get full travel.

getonyourbike
    Free Member

yeh, when there was too much oil in the damper before and I couldn’t get full travel but with no air in them, now I can get full travel and the rebound and low speed compression damping is sweet so I think the damping unit is sorted.

As soon as I add air to them so that they extend to full travel, I can’t get full travel again. I’m pretty sure it’s too much in the lowers and hopefully it shouldn’t take too long to fix; it’ll probably take longer getting the forks out of the bike than doing the work.

franciscobegbie
    Thanks for confirming my suspicions. I’ll get the job done ASAP then

saladdodger
    Free Member

what oil did you use in the lowers???

I did my revs with Fox Float fork oil which was too thick and the forks would hardly move

Stripped em down again and put some er 10wt oil in Sorted back to full travel

biscuit
    Free Member

are they dual air? i had this problem with some revelations. if you remove all the air can you acheive full travel?

if not they could be hydrolocked? I belive this is when the oil from the top of the fork pushes past the seals and enters the bottom. Im sure someone has a more technical explanation.

But essentially i bought a new seal kit from ebay, changed the seals, replace all the oil, and bingo, they worked again.

Google revelation/reba hydrolock, think theres a lot of stuff out there.

getonyourbike
    Free Member

I used Foix Float Fuild on the foam rings and the recommended 15WT oil in the oil bath.

If I remove all the air, the forks don’t reach full travel on their own but will do when I compress them. I hope it isn’t a blown seal, they’re less than a month old!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Too much oil in the damper. Thats the common cause and it has happened to me despite using her recommended amount – maybe some was left in the damper somewhere>

It could be the lower legs but the damper is more likely

getonyourbike
    Free Member

So, should I check the amount of oil in the lowers and if that’s all fine then service them with all new o-rings? Would it be better to leave the Float fluid on the foam rings and just use the 15wt oil for everything?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Just take teh top nut off on the damper side and remove a bit of oil – say 20 ml – see if that makes any difference – I bet it does

getonyourbike
    Free Member

An update:
    with the forks fully assembled I undid the top cap and compressed the forks (so too much oil didn’t matter) and I still couldn’t get full travel so it isn’t an oil level problem.

I also tried taking all the oil out of the damper and the lowers adn reassembled them. I still couldn’t get full travel with no air in them at all. I’m at loss to how to sor the problem.

I think I may try emailing LoCo and beggnig for help. I don’t have a clue what it could be that’s causing the problem.

getonyourbike
    Free Member

I just checked that the bump stops were properly situated and then reassembled. There was no change but I noticed when taking them apart that as soon as I took out the rebound side 5mm hex bolt holding the damper rod in place and knocked out the press fit, the pressure released and I could compress the forks all the way. It was like pressure built up in the lower leg on the damper side.

Does this indicate anything?

getonyourbike
    Free Member

Nobody else, I’m sad 🙁

getonyourbike
    Free Member

Bump for the evening crew

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Please help me, clever fork servicing people’ is closed to new replies.