Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Please help cheer me up while I wait for my dog to get out of surgery…
  • Helios
    Free Member

Indy the Terror Pup my pesky dog* managed to get a thorn stuck in his eye last night. He didn’t show any sign of it until this morning, we thought he had a bit of conjunctivitis, so popped in some drops and my wife took him to the vets. Nope, it turns out he has a thorn right in his eye ball. I’m still feeling sick everytime I think about it. He went under the knife at 2pm to remove it and do whatever they can to repair things. I’ve been stuck in a meeting all morning so didn’t get to go with him to doggy hospital or see him before he went under. He’s only nine months old. I know I’m over-reacting with how much it has upset me (it’s just a dog right?). But I’m feeling in need of some serious cheering up. Even assuming everything goes well I won’t get to see him again until tomorrow and this will be the first night I’ve come home from work and not have him greet me. Feeling sad without my mate. So – anyone got (happy ending) doggy tales to help me out?

(*ie: the most important thing in my life after MrsH)

willard

Our yungest (Ralph) ate a flip flop and some stones when he was about six months old. He complained, we took him to the vets and he had to have them hooked out under GA. Nice scar, cone of shame, all better. A fe months later he’s just being collected from the kennels after I’ve been away for a fortnight and I notice that he’s a bit quiet. Fast forward two hours and he’s back at the vet’s having a third of his bowel removed because it had stuck at the previous op site and then twisted.

He’s fine now, but has some really nice scars.

Anyway, cheer up man. Your boy will be fine and will love you all the more. Just take it easy with him when he gets out and make a big fuss of him, but be careful he doesn’t use being injured as an excuse for bad behaviour. Ralph now demands cuddles from his mummy and gets away with murder from her. My dog, Ted, doesn’t. He puts up with it.

Karinofnine

Dogs are incredibly resilient – he will come out of the operation just fine. In a week or so he won’t even remember and he certainly won’t blame you. I know how horrible it is to go home and not have your best friend greet you but it’s only for a day and it’s best for him to stay at the vet where they can monitor his recovery from the anaesthetic etc.

Missy had cancer on her bum, and got better – he’ll be fine.

MrsPoddy
    Free Member

I was distraught when we had to take my mums dog to the vet (we were dog sitting) whilst she had a hole sown up at the back of her throat (dog / ground incident).
    She was very spoilt as she lulled around with a spaced out look that only a spaniel can have after being knocked out! Occupy yourself tonight with writing your next post – “How do I give my dog antibiotics as hiding it in the food is not working?”

daftvader
    Free Member

one of my friends cavalier’s had an op to remove a seriously infected and deep splinter from her paw… several months later she was still lifting her paw and crying…. sometimes she even got the right paw to lift 😆

racefaceec90

i hope your dog feels better after the operation.he’ll be right as rain before you know it.

Aus
    Free Member

My top dog (the one on the right) who’s now 14, in her earlier days, got a stone lodge in her tim, got quickly and seriously dehydrated, operation, instructions to keep her calm … but within hours was irrepressible again. They bounce back so quickly to put us to shame. [i]

Helios
    Free Member

Well he’s out of surgery and apparently it went well… Some risk his eye might develop further complications but the vet sounded confident… They said he was standing up in his cage like nothing had happened! I now have to wait to get him back hopefully tomorrow… Have a very quiet house right now 🙁

Still hearing tales of flip flop eating spaniels and bum cancer (plus the cat and sudocrem thread) has cheered me up no end…

willard

See? Told you he’d be ok.

Now, stop feeling bad and get out there and make a fuss of the little chap. Oh, and you know the rules. No puppy posts without photos. Get posting.

Helios
    Free Member

Oh, and you know the rules. No puppy posts without photos. Get posting.

Here he is, fast asleep last night… He hates having his eye drops, and was whimpering a lot all evening… But he seems to be getting better… MrsH is fairly unimpressed that I’ve gone away this morning and won’t be back til Tuesday – so she has to do all his meds by herself!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Please help cheer me up while I wait for my dog to get out of surgery…’ is closed to new replies.