Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • please help before my laptop gets launched out a window! STW IT support required
  • mustard
    Free Member

we got Virgin BB installed on Tuesday and I can’t get the wifi to work on my laptop. To get Claire’s laptop to connect the engineer plugged in the ethernet cable and changed the wifi password and it then connected fine but I still can’t get mine to connect. Our mobiles are both connected too.

My laptop can see the wifi and connect to it but then says no internet access. Anyone have any bright ideas?

Windows firewall is turned off and I have AVG free on the laptop; could this be the issue?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Have you tried turning it off and then on again?

*Ducks to avoid flying furniture*

Cougar

Uninstall it and find out?

i know it’s a cliché but, reboot the router, reboot the PC.

Do you really *know* the password? If you drop an established device and then re-enter the PW does it work?

ask1974
    Free Member

Plug in with Ethernet cable and see if this works. Check WiFi properties and make sure DHCP is selected. If all else fails see what Claire’s IP address is and manually set yours to something on the same subnet but different last address.

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

The fact that your other kit is working OK suggests an IP address issue on your laptop.

Check the properties for the wireless network connection. It may be that the IP settings in it were specific to your old router / ISP. Right click on the internet protocol / IP V4 as appropriate and check that it’s assigning you an IP address dynamically rather than using a fixed one (check that the DNS settings are also set to automatic while you’re at it).

If after changing it, it doesn’t work straight away, open a command prompt and type:

ipconfig /release
    ipconfig /renew

… to get a new IP assigned.r

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

Doh… ask1974 beat me to it!

Cougar

>.<

juan
    Free Member

proper LOL at CFH

mustard
    Free Member

Thanks SJ/ask1974 – I am now communicating with you via the wonders of wifi! 🙂 The IPv4 was set to automatic but the DNS(?) wasn’t set to automatic.

And yes, I am that incompetent with a computer that it has taken me the last 45 minutes to find it! 😳

I was hoping I wouldn’t have to go so far as to ask how to open a command prompt 🙂

druidh
    Free Member

Could be a DNS problem. What do you have configured?

Edit: too late

FWIW, my DNS settings aren’t set to Automatic either. They are currently set to use the Google DNS servers 8.8.8.8 and 4.4.4.4. always worth a try to make sure the ISPs DNS servers aren’t at fault.

somouk
    Free Member

^^^^^ That’s fine unless you need to use the ISP’s DNS servers for anything internal or the equipment goes into a work place as well 🙂

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘please help before my laptop gets launched out a window! STW IT support required’ is closed to new replies.