• This topic has 136 replies, 88 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by kevj.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 137 total)
  • Please do not ride on footpaths.
  • John_Rowlands
    Free Member

As title. Not only riding on footpaths but when they are in a wet condition is even worse. Pay some consideration for why it is a footpath and not a bridleway, plenty of decent bridleways in the country anyway. Not only are you eroding the path, you are creating a bad reputation for all your fellow mtb’ers. As a biker I feel a winging so and so for saying this, but lets be honest arent there enough decent areas to ride?

allthepies
    Free Member

Tom83

I’ll get the kettle on.

z1ppy

coffeeking
    Free Member

No. And footpaths are just as fair game as any other, however any footpath that’s being badly eroded/suffering from waterlogging should be avoided by common sense.

Just think, we have no distinction of footpaths up here and we all get along just fine, both bikes and walkers – who’d have thought all you need is a designation to get everyones backs up and cause mahem.

(loving being the first person to bite)

grtdkad

Would never even consider it. Nope. Never ….

Gary_C

highclimber
    Free Member

uh-oh.

jonba
    Free Member

I though I’d get this one going…

Pay some consideration for why it is a footpath and not a bridleway

why is that exactly?

Not only are you eroding the path

so is everybody else who uses it? Is it not the volume of traffic rather than the type?

but lets be honest arent there enough decent areas to ride?

depends on where you are… but in general I’d say no, the more the better.

Just out of interest as you are telling me where to ride, in your opinion should I be wearing a helmet? 😉

chalkstorm
    Free Member

……….should be avoided by common sense

…especially if common sense has phat tyres on it’s bike………

lowey

I’ll ride where I want thanks. Happy trails.

z1ppy
    B.A.Nana
    Free Member

CHB

Bridle ways are covered in horse muck and hoof ruts near me.
    A bike makes no more mess than a walker (probably less).
    I always give way to pedestrians and horses when I am on the bike. Smile, take care and ride where the urge takes you.

highclimber
    Free Member

Some of the best singletrack sections are on footpaths. Now, I’m not going to stop doing singletrack because you say so as that will mean this site is pointless!

ahwiles
    Free Member

i can see the need for ‘walkers only paths’ – if only to keep bikes away from wobbly old people, or maybe to protect steep/inappropriate paths from erosion or whatever.

but there is no* logic behind the designations as they stand.

i can show you quiet, over-grown, stone-armoured, footpaths that i’m not allowed on.

i can show you busy, boggy, eroded, bridleways that i am allowed to on.

until the council/government/whoever get around to sorting out this nonsense, i’ll use my own common sense, and ride where i think it’s appropriate.

(*not even a tiny bit)

richieokeefe1
    Free Member

I dont care where I ride noting wrong with it ….some of the footpaths are better and I ride them at speed !!!!

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

The footpaths round by me are great. When there is a red traffic light I can use the footpath to go round it.

No riding on Scottish footpaths then…..

damo2576
    Free Member

less walkers to shout “boo” at on bridleways

John_Rowlands
    Free Member

😆

miketually
    Free Member

The footpaths round by me are great. When there is a red traffic light I can use the footpath to go round it.

Those are pavements, not footpaths.

trailmonkey

sorry dad

Rorschach
    Free Member

Stoner
    Free Member

Pay some consideration for why it is a footpath and not a bridleway

Because the landed gentry in Herefordshire campaigned of a wimpish, idle and pathetic civil servant charged with the job, for footpath classificaiton over bridleway classification when the definitive map was set under the National Parks and Access to the Countryside Act 1949.

The distinction had no basis in use, prescription or history. It made for a stupid application of an ill defined process as demonstrated by some of the paths round ‘ere that as they cross the border from Worcestershire into Herefordshire change from bridleway to footpath arbitrarily in the middle of their run, with no other way of leaving the bridleway but turning around.

So I ignore it. I ride whatever I like with the caveat that if I think my riding might cause damage sufficient to incite a case for trespass and restitution by a court demanding I pay damages then I wont ride there. Otherwise, it’s up to the landowner or his agent to make a case if he can.

As for any other bylaws – they’ll just have to catch me and get my name & address.

GaVgAs
    Free Member

LOL at the stw massif…# pulls up chair #…+ 1 stoner 😉

allthegear
    Free Member

There are plenty of places I won’t ride a bridleway because it is in bad condition or overrun with walkers. There are plenty of places where I will ride a footpath as often I’m the only one who’ll be using it and I won’t cause unreasonable damage. Just needs a little bit of common sense.

Then again, if someone feels the need to stop me tell me how they think the “law of the land” works, I’m happy to listen to them. I’m also happy to then just carry on my merry way…

Rachel

ahwiles
    Free Member

oh, and;

…but lets be honest arent there enough decent areas to ride?…

no, not really. i live in Sheffield, the ROW office have decided that bridleways should be 2metres wide and smooth enough to allow access by wheelchair. As a result our bridleways are now smoother and straighter than our roads.

juan
    Free Member

As for any other bylaws – they’ll just have to catch me and get my name & address.

Ha Ha Ha you’d better hope I don’t catch you as I have both 😈

Stoner
    Free Member

If Im caught on the one of the GRs that dont allow bikes I’ll probably get repatriated to Algeria 🙂

allthegear
    Free Member

ahwiles – most of the DH runs in Morzine are smoother than the roads in Sheffield…

Rachel

yunki
    Free Member

MartynS

I’ll ride on the basis of a tracks suitability thank you. Some “footpaths” are actually farm access landrover tracks round here, I reckon that’s suitable for a bike too…

yossarian
    Free Member

Stoner has it off to a tee except this bit

that if I think my riding might cause damage sufficient to incite a case for trespass and restitution by a court demanding I pay damages then I wont ride there

I would insert ‘that if I think my riding would have a significantly detrimental effect on the trail given the prevailing conditions, or if I suspect that a collision with another trail user is likely given the location and usage of the path’

Footpath = wheelpath

geebus
    Free Member

Having done my share of greenlaning, I can see the issue from both sides.

Unfortunately the enjoyment for motorised off road got seriously curtailed with restrictions on the lanes used.
    Once that was brought, the legal traffic was forced on to a much restricted selection of routes. Naturally these get overused, leading to even more closed and the situation getting worse.

Luckily, I can’t see that happening with pedal power, as it’s much harder to trace people and both for the lack of numberplates from those making some pretence of legality and less noise etc too.

Possible that as a typical knee jerk, some bridleways could be downgraded, making it worse for those that stay 100% legal though.

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

Footpath:

Bridleway:

Footpath:

Bridleway:

Do you get the point yet?

Stoner
    Free Member

yoss – yep that’s the only other condition i hold myself to: some paths I wont ride on round here before its dark just to avoid conflict with dog walkers. I dont need to ride the path during daylight hours so it would be churlish to do so, knowing that there’s bound to be a dog walker or grumpy oldie on it.

there’s a difference between riding any path and riding every path, or even any path at any time.

bol

Round here I’d be walking more than riding if I didn’t use footpaths. I always give way to others and dismount if i think I’m might cause offence. I even smile and say hello to dog walkers (who IMHO do a lot more damage than your average cyclist). None of our local trails (cheeky or otherwise) suffer from errosion.

Northwind

geebus – Member

Once that was brought, the legal traffic was forced on to a much restricted selection of routes. Naturally these get overused, leading to even more closed and the situation getting worse.

Aye. How to instantly half erosion- double the number of trails.

Spin
    Free Member

I’m glad I live in Scotland where we have sensible access regulations…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 137 total)

The topic ‘Please do not ride on footpaths.’ is closed to new replies.