Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Please can you recommend me a new road bike?
  • damascus
    Free Member

Hi, 

Mboy recommended a saracen Avro last time I wanted a new road bike, it’s been great but I fancy a replacement now. I don’t read magazines so I’m not upto date on what’s good or not. What are you riding?

I use the bike for commuting to work and the occasional weekend ride with my friends. I’m looking at more road bike than gravel or adventure.

My list of requirements are:

1) It must take mudguards front and rear.

2) normal threaded bottom bracket

3) fairly lightweight, definitely not steel.

4) must be disc wheels.

5) it must take at least 25mm tyres with guards

6) bolt thru front and back.

7) looking at either shimano 105 gears or sram rival at my budget.

8) I have a decent set of wheels and tyres so not bothered about them.

9) looking at 60cm or XL frame.

10) budget? Im no roadie, so less than £1500 ideally.

Any suggestions or links much appreciated.

Thanks

freddiest

Kinesis G2 might be worth a look.

Edit: sorry but it seems that it is on the adventure side although that means it has clearance etc.

stumpy01

Ribble CGR?

joat

Pinnacle Arkose R2?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Came to suggest a Paralane, already done! That or a Defy of some flavour.

ozric45
    Free Member

Can’t say they would be threaded bb but I have been really impressed with my vitus it’s a great bike for the money. They are certainly one of the value for money brands out there.

damascus
    Free Member

@stumpy01. I really like the look of the ribble cgr

https://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/ribble-cgr/

alanl
    Free Member

PX London Road ticks all the boxes apart from no. 6.
    https://www.planetx.co.uk/c/q/bikes/road-bikes/london-road

PX get slagged off, but I couldnt fault mine. I only sold it as I bought a carbon framed one.

damascus
    Free Member

Speaking of planet x ……

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBPXPCEDRIV22/planet-x-pro-carbon-evo-disc-rival22

I like the look of this bike but the listing is so confusing. Is it disc and through axles or rim brakes and quick releases. How can you have so many errors on one page after it’s been advertised for so long and customers must have questioned this already?

It says no to mudguards and racks but it’s possible it does have mounts but they got the listing wrong.

chestrockwell

My mate has one of those Cube’s and I have the non disc version. Great bikes and highly recommended.

chakaping
    Free Member

Don’t get hung up on the BB on road bikes, the press fit ones can last years.

twowheels
    Free Member

I am waiting for the 2019 Kinesis Racelight 4S frameset to be reduced. Finally it is bolt through. It has rack and mudguard mounts. Decent geometry for road rides. Claimed 1.55kg for the 55.5cm frame. Not willing to spend £750 on frame only though.

damascus
    Free Member

@chakaping i just like threaded BB so I can remove and clean them at home as part of my maintenance. My mtb has a push fit bracket and I don’t have the tools, I need to pop to the local bike shop to borrow the kit to clean it. Its a hope BB and fine but I just find threaded easier to maintain especially on a commuter bike.

wait4me

If you’d consider just 2nd hand I’ve got a Defy Advanced Pro1 that I’m going to sell. It was an insurance replacement after the last one and me got written off 🙁 it’s full Ultegra, carbon wheels. Done a couple of hundred miles tops on the road and a bit more indoors on the trainer. Just realized that it’s not for me any more sadly. It’s a Large. I’m 6’3-4 and fits great. I will get round to listing it at some point, but the whole mental side post accident is stopping me.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Try to beat the spec on 2018 Cube Attain GTC Race disc

Ribble Endurance AL – full Shimano R7000, hyd 7020 brakes – I’d live with R7000 gears for the swap in hood shape of the 7020 levers. Especiailly as its £200+ cheaper too….

Think it also ticks all the requirements

rOcKeTdOg

My mate has one of those Cube’s and I have the non disc version. Great bikes and highly recommended.

Press fit BB on those though

belugabob
    Free Member

Another vote for the Kinesis Racelight 4S, here.
    Bought mine in October 2016, and am very happy with it.
    Threaded Bottom bracket was one of the main must-haves for me, too, as I didn’t want to enter the creaky bottom bracket lottery.
    Mine has 9mm QR wheels but, in time honoured fashion, they changed to bolt-through soon after I bought mine.
    I built it up with Ultegra Drivetrain flat mount brakes and tubeless wheels, so it ended up at about £1800, but switching to 105 groupset and non-tubeless would bring the price down a bit.

Have fitted it with mudguards (only once, though), and it was faultless on a 390 mile round trip to Bristol and back, sporting 30mm CX tyres and Panniers.

Worth every penny, IMHO.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Please can you recommend me a new road bike?’ is closed to new replies.