Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Please appraise this peaks ride starting at Castleton
  • jekkyl

I’ve got all day to do this ride on Friday, any suggestions to improve or lengthen much appreciated. Ta

http://www.peakdistrictcycleways.co.uk/cycle-route.php?route=HEVC1

Where’s that old bit of road that collapsed, I’d like to see that.

ahwiles
    Free Member

Where’s that old bit of road that collapsed, I’d like to see that.

from Castleton, head up the road towards Mam farm, don’t fall down any big holes…

simon1975

You can’t really go wrong around there, but that particular climb up to Hollins Cross isn’t great, expect some pushing! Your ride finishes with Cavedale which is superb.

It would be easy to add a loop featuring “The Beast” descent (turn right at Hope Cross) if you wanted to do more.

And this is the “broken road” you mentioned:
    http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=413185&Y=383730&A=Y&Z=120

D0NK

not bad, presume you’re doing it anti-clockwise, did a similar ride a few weeks ago.

I’d park at windy knoll easier from our side of peak district and can change the route a little.

If you don’t like steep slippy wet rock descents do dirtlow rake instead of limestone way. Either way I’d head up the road to do pindale afterwards and take the quiet road to Hope.

At hope cross if you want to extend the ride you could go right descend The Beast and push back up or go round to do blackley hey climb (or descend blackley, push up the beast)

Finish off the ride then you can session the broken road (that road south of mam tor from windy knoll that becomes dot dash dot) Some nice big drop offs to have a go on.

jekkyl

you guys are stars, thanks muchly.

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

If you want a bigger ride Start at Castleton go up the broken road below t Man tor/then across Rushup Edge and then down Chapel gate/road to Edale then off-road past Clough Farm up to Hope X left there down Roman road to A57 across road up past farm and over the top of Fairholmes and down to Ladybower and by cafe across to Dam and then go up the tracks towards the Lurking stones then lovely track down to Ladybower inn then cross dam and ride along to the bottom of Beast walk up there and back to Hope X and run the Roman road down to Hope.Lots of options.

carlos
    Free Member

Pretty decent ride that, not mega miles but defo some good stuff in there. Not my choice if I had all day but then that’s amoo (a matter of opinion, for ttgas)

Start on the main road in Castleton, head up the broken road, Rushup Edge, Chapel Gate, climb back to Mam Nick, descend Greenland, Climb to Hollins Cross, descend Back Tor Farm, Jaggers Clough to Hope Cross, Descend the Beast (fluffy cat) steep fire road climb to Wooler Knoll, descend Hope Brink, tarmac to either Brough and climb to Bradwell Edge or climb past Shatton Mast to Bradwell Edge, Descend into Bradwell and then pick up the track behind the cement works back to Castleton. If your legs are up for it climb up Pindale and along to finish on Cavedale.

You can make it even longer by adding a run over Lockerbrook and Zhores farms, round to Fairholmes, climb the slabs and long to WTL, descend to the pub, tarmac through Thornhill and pick up th Dhatton Mast climb.

Whatever you choose you enjoy it.

jekkyl

Cheers, think I’d best get myself an OS Explorer for the area.

richpips
    Free Member

Steady down Chapel Gate, it’s recently been resurfaced with loose gravel which is interspersed with big drainage channels.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

but that particular climb up to Hollins Cross isn’t great, expect some pushing!

I’d recommend keeping going into Edale then left up the hill to Greenlands then head exactly east up the bridleway to Hollins Cross. That route heads diagonally up the hillside and is all rideable, just, in good conditions.

Also, if there aren’t too many ramblers about then when you head from Hollins up Mam Tor, don’t break right too early to go on the bridleway round Mam Tor, rather keep going up the sandstone slabs as they get steeper and steppier and see how far you can get. It’s absolute heaven.

chambord
    Free Member

That route heads diagonally up the hillside and is all rideable, just, in good conditions.

I can never manage to clear it up those steps towards the top 🙁 . Might go there on Sunday and give it another attempt.

simon1975

Don’t worry about what was said agout Chapel Gate, you’re doing that as a climb!

jekkyl

Cheers Si. I’ve mapped out the route now, gonna do that route as laid out but add in ‘the beast’ and push or ride back up, take in the alternative detour suggested by the generalist and also the one he suggested about mam tor but instead of going back to the route I might cheekily ride down to the broken road and then loop back up, OR I might do it all then ride up the broken road so I can finish with a loop down winnats pass. hurrrah!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Please appraise this peaks ride starting at Castleton’ is closed to new replies.