Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 81 total)
  • Plea to Singletrack – subscribers plastic packaging why?
  • iain1775
    Free Member

Not sure if this has been done before as very rarely on here these days having lost my interest in the mtb industry/press in general and to be honest I cancelled my sub a while ago so now seeing out the last couple of issues (they keep coming, they remain largely unread!)

Why oh why are Singletrack magazines delivered to subscribers in a plastic envelope
    Can this not be changed to a paper envelope or cardboard (like Cranked comes in)

Or is the plastic wrapping recyclable, there is nothing on it to indicate it is

I’m not a diehard environmentalist by any stretch but like to do whatever I can and this would seem to be a simple change to make, perhaps someone from the mag could comment?

IdleJon

I noticed that the Cycling UK mag arrived in recyclable packaging last week.

andybrad

cost

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Non subscriber moans about free magazine.

How very STW.

bearnecessities

Paper magazine sent in paper packaging probably wouldn’t arrive in tip-top shape 🙂

sharkbait
    Free Member

I read that plastic bag production uses less energy and produced less CO2 than paper bags (which it seems is why supermarkets keep using plastic carrier bags) – cost issue?

Cougar

I’m speculating but, isn’t it entirely possible that it’s down to the distributor and STW has no say in the matter (other than to switch distributor)?

aide

Often wondered this myselfwould be good to know that the packaging could be recycled but don’t think it can in its current form

russyh
    Free Member

Wish mine turned up at all without having to chase….

mattbee

Camping and Caravan Club mag and National Trust mag (how middle aged dies that make me sound!) both come in recyclable ‘plastic replacement’ packaging. Be nice if ST could investigate switching.

sebcranked

Plastic bags are cheap and light, which helps to reduce shipping costs. Cardboard wrappers and envelopes are more expensive to begin with and also heavier, potentially adding more cost. Generally speaking the publisher gets to choose, and the distributor invoices accordingly. Cranked uses card envelopes because they’re recyclable and they offer much better protection to the mag (although, to be fair, our office copy of ST usually turns up undamaged in its plastic wrapper).

TomB

How much more do the potato starch wrappers cost?

CountZero

Use Cellophane?

Cougar

Plastic bags are cheap and light

… and also waterproof of course, unlike paper.

cookeaa

Digital sub here, costs me less and even fewer trees have to be pulped. I’m not worried about sniffing pages though.

sebcranked

Plastic bags are cheap and light

… and also waterproof of course, unlike paper.

Sure. Although, thousands and thousands of mag deliveries all over the world later, we’ve only lost two to the weather (leaving a cardboard envelope actually in a puddle isn’t likely to do either it or the contents any favours…)

twistedpencil

Cardboard works for me though I can see the additional cost in posting. Compostable wrappers must be the way forward though. Single use plastic should be phased out by law, but until that happens maybe enlightened publishers should use alternatives?

Goes to sit at the front door to await Cranked 16…

Cougar

So,

I’ve just spoken with Mark, and this afternoon he’s been in contact with their printers to enquire about more eco-friendly packaging. They’ve come back and proposed a bio-plastic solution made from potato starch. It’s 100% biodegradable, compostable and recyclable. He’s asked for pricing on this and is now awaiting a quote.

IF it proves affordable and IF they can get their ducks in a row in time, this could be place as soon as the next issue.

And I suppose if those things don’t happen then they’ve looked into it at least.

twistedpencil

Singletrack I salute you.

scotroutes

Cougar – could you also ask Mark if the whole magazine could be printed on potato starch? It might prove to be an important source of calories come March 29th.

rOcKeTdOg

They’ve come back and proposed a bio-plastic solution made from potato starch

is it edible…maybe with salt and vinegar on?

Cougar

Actual LOL at that, scotroutes, thank you.

Simwit

I was wondering about this the other day so It’s a thumbs up from me

DezB
    Free Member

Hate to break it to ya, but repackaging a few hundred mags every few months isn’t gonna save the planet 😉
    I get 3 other mags and they’re all in the plastic (like, really thin plastic) covers.

National Geographic have gone for the eco option… “will save more than 2.5 million single-use plastic bags every month” they reckon.

Strange about the supermarket etc, carrier bags, I always take a bag into Tesco Express, but never see anyone else doing it. The staff automatically reach for a bag when you step up to the till, always seem surprised when I say I’ve got a bag.

ossify

It’s probably recyclable PE anyway, with plastic bags. Any larger supermarket should accept that.

Anyway as stated above: generally speaking plastic = worse for pollution and paper = worse for CO2 emissions and energy use.
    Apparently also now that capture systems are getting better, it’s better for the environment to incinerate plastic than to recycle it. Depends on whether your local rubbish gets burnt or goes to landfill I suppose.

spooky_b329

Embarrassingly, I cannot recall noticing much arriving in compostable plastic replacement. So if it does get changed, make it obvious to dispose in the food waste rather than the bin, otherwise it won’t make much difference

orangespyderman

Strange about the supermarket etc, carrier bags, I always take a bag into Tesco Express, but never see anyone else doing it. The staff automatically reach for a bag when you step up to the till, always seem surprised when I say I’ve got a bag.

This – and it’s a real culture thing. there are countries where you get looked at like you’re something stuck on the underside of an already filthy shoe if you go shopping without bags, but in (too) many places they hand them out like they’re made of fresh air. This really needs to change.

singletrackmag
    Free Member

Pricing is in and the good news is it’s a modest increase on the plastic wrap so we are going to give it a go on the next issue.

Dezb, how many subscribers do you think we have?

We aren’t going to save the planet by using compostable wrap but we are potentially going to save 30k plastic wraps a year going into the bin. Considerably more than a few hundred every few months.

Drac

Complete opposite here see loads take their own bags, never seen a sales assistant looked shocked. In fact the question is usually “Have you got your own bags”

aide

Good news, looking forward to seeing the change. Well done singletrack

Cougar

Hate to break it to ya, but repackaging a few hundred mags every few months isn’t gonna save the planet

But it might make a difference if everyone did it. So why not make a start?

Honestly, some people could have an argument in an empty room.

bearnecessities

is it edible…maybe with salt and vinegar on?

Chipps Chippenmail

grtdkad

Great news STW. 👍🏻

Ditto here on the shop bags too. Always take my own now. It is the new normal around these parts.

GHill

Single use plastic should be phased out by law

It’s really not that simple. A bit like diesel cars – the reduction in “pollution” that they were supposed to provide has caused problems with other types of pollution that might actually be a bigger problem overall.

I’ve not done the life cycle analysis myself, but when wrapping fruit and veg apparently you’d have to reuse a paper bag five times before it’s overall better for the environment than one single-use thin plastic bag. Hard to see that being practical.

Responsible disposal of waste plastic seems like a better first step to me, but that requires the general public to change their attitudes.

EDIT: Almost forgot to say – thanks for the speedy response to this ST.

dirkpitt74

Great work STW.

soobalias
    Free Member

Honestly, some people could have an argument in an empty room

you are new here right?
    STW is that empty room where folk come to argue

seosamh77
    Free Member

Cougar

But it might make a difference if everyone did it. So why not make a start?

surely a pdf is the eco-warriors choice media? 😆

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Unformatted plaintext surely. You’ll be mining Bitcoin next you monster!

seosamh77
    Free Member

Minified for faster loading times! 😆

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 81 total)

The topic ‘Plea to Singletrack – subscribers plastic packaging why?’ is closed to new replies.