Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Plea for help from the Apple fans
  • Richie_B

My laptop has just updated to catalina. Since updating I haven’t been able to see any new emails from my work account. I’m still on line. I get the little notifications at the bottom left hand corner of Mail saying I’ve received mail but I can’t see it. I assume all the settings have been carried over. I’ve checked everything I can think of but no joy. According to apple help this is not a problem they recognise. Its a pop3 email account if that helps

Any suggestions (preferably before I resort to reprogramming the useless scrap with a lump hammer or I seriously piss off any more of my clients)?

rickmeister

Resign in to your mail client with password etc etc?

FWIW, Gmail just worked after the update on mine, only thing screwed is playlists on iPad disappearing…

the-muffin-man

I’ve not upgraded so can’t help with specifics, but worth trying Mozilla Thunderbird and see if you can access emails with that.

https://www.thunderbird.net/en-US/

johndoh
    Free Member

Have you checked to see what default email account Mail is opening up – if you are getting notifications then it must be working correctly so my hunch is the default account not being your work one. (Go to Mail > Accounts and see what the default one is).

MrSmith
    Free Member

after the horse has bolted but don’t have automatic updates turned on!

you may find some answers on macintouch

edit, my links dont show? https://www.macintouch.com

https://appleinsider.com/articles/19/10/12/missing-message-issues-plague-mail-users-in-macos-catalina

euain

POP3? – maybe see if you can get another way to connect to it (IMAP?). Maybe not for now (as it probably won’t help get your messages just now) but it’ll work a lot better in this kind of situation.

Can you connect using webmail to see if the messages are still on the server? POP3 clients often download the messages then delete from the server. It’s not really designed to have more than one client accessing the email (worked well before everyone had iPads, phones, laptops etc. all accessing the same email account). Most email providers will provide some webmail functionality so you can log in.

It sounds like they’re getting to your Mac (hence the notifications) but you’re just not seeing them for some reason. Check for search set up.. are you looking in the right inbox etc? Are there any filters set up etc?

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

I’ve had occasional problems on Macs when email accounts or calendars just refused to work. Deleting the account and rebuilding the mailbox was quicker than trying to work out what was wrong.

Richie_B

after the horse has bolted but don’t have automatic updates turned on!

Sounds exactly like this.

Check for search set up.. are you looking in the right inbox etc? Are there any filters set up etc?

Yes and no, that was my first thought. I can log into the web browser for the service provider and can see they are on the server but they aren’t showing on Mail.

I agree about the IMAP/POP3 thing but its a case of everyone either switching at once or not at all

zilog6128

I binned off the built-in Mail app years ago, there were too many issues with it. Maybe take this as an opportunity to upgrade to a better app! As above, Thunderbird maybe, personally I like Spark.

peterno51

If this a pop mailbox be careful about deleting and recreating mailboxes without taking a backup first.

Cletus

Good advice to move to IMAP asap and do not delete anything if you still want the emails.

What happened to “It just works??”

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Plea for help from the Apple fans’ is closed to new replies.