Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Playing a decent mix of music for a party
  • Rich_s

Looking for some assistance, please.

We’re having a party for SWMBO’s 40th at home and I’m trying to figure out how to play some funky choonz. We have Amazon Music plus various downloaded stuff on laptop/etc. Is there an easy way to “mix” the music together so it’s a bit more seamless than 2 random records that happen to be next to each other?

Happy to create a playlist for it but just a bit uncertain whether there is a magic solution I can use to make this work. (Hiring DJ is not an option at present)

stevied
    Free Member

Does anyone coming have Spotify? They have user-generated playlists for all sorts of things or they have preset playlists for all sorts of genres.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

There are some good dj apps for spotify. Someone will of course have to be an expert knob twiddler and I’m not sure how it would work double dropping Pulse into Messiah mind.

There are automated ones too, but don’t know what they are like !

edit: If you make a playlist can you post it here so we can ‘constructively critique’ it  🙂

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    stevied
    Free Member

You could also ask guests to give you a few songs prior to the party so you can add them on a playlist on AM (if you can create playlists?). We did similar for our wedding and it worked pretty well..

the-muffin-man

Whatever you do make sure it’s downloaded for offline use – or there’ll be no music if your ‘tinternet goes down!

I’ve just created a Spotify playlist in the past and stuck it on random. No one will give a monkeys how smooth the transitions are after a few drinks.

lunge

Agree with the above, find someone with a paid Spotify account, get them to log in and find a playlist from there. Or make your own if you have time, but really, the play lists on their are better then you’ll put together anyway.

kayak23

Spotify? Soulless.

Get someone in. A great dj adds personality and pzazz to any soiree!

mrwhyte
    Free Member

We’re just hiring some sound equipment from a friend and then having a spotify playlist on, with tunes people have requested for our wedding. I would have DJd myself, but I do not think people would expect the groom to be djing at his own wedding.

Will have a look in to the spotify automated mixing apps.

centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

If you can use Spotify look for these playlists :
    Global Funk
    Ninja Tune/Trip-Hop/Chillout

binners

null

grantyboy
    Free Member

download a free copy of DJ Pro (7 day trial) and you can link it to mix with your Spotify playlist. As it’s an 40th go heavy on 80’s (All Out 80’s playlist in Spotify) and throw in a generic bit of current radio pop hits and some power ballad rock classic. Job jobbed!
    Alternatively leave an open playlist and people can add to it as they want and leave it on shuffle, that works well if it’s not to big a function.
    The more dance oriented playlists in Spotify now have algorithms to do basic mixing

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

All Out 80’s playlist in Spotify) and throw in a generic bit of current radio pop hits and some power ballad rock classic. Job jobbed

By that you mean everyone leaves? 🙂

jekkyl

plenty of mixes on soundcloud or mixcloud without adverts, (which you’ll get on youtube) but they’ll be dance music. It is a party afterall. just search for ‘*your favourite dance music genre* mix’ and sort to most recent.

DezB
    Free Member

I’ll do you a mix 😀

Rich_s

Some great ideas on here! Thanks peeps. I’m loving the idea of just getting people wasted so they don’t notice the gaps.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Playing a decent mix of music for a party’ is closed to new replies.