Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)
  • Play in mavic crossride rear hub
  • radonrob
    Free Member

Got the same problem after 2 rides from new with a X12 crossride hub. Stripped and cleaned completely in case the spring was not sliding down the washer and pulling up the slack against the bearing and its still the same – anyone know a fix?

coatesy
    Free Member

Seems the foolproof solution is the one followed by the owner of the hub in the original post, he borrowed a Hope hubbed wheel from us while we attempted to sort his, and hasn’t been seen or heard from since 🙂

SOAP
    Free Member

I’ve got this problem with a crosstrail hub. Cannot see a way to preload the hub.

Doug
    Free Member

I fixed mine by buying something else and putting the Crossrides on the Mrs bike for towpath use.

radonrob
    Free Member

Have been told its designed to have a “tiny” amount of play. Did everyones play remain the same once noticeable or get progressively worse/ how bad??

tgarv
    Free Member

I have the same issue with Crossrides ’13, front 15 mm and 142/12 rear. The play doesn’t seem to get any worse but it is there. Went back to LBS and they “fixed” it. After few miles problem returned.

sykik
    Free Member

I got nowhere trying to get it fixed through Mavic with my 2013 crossrides so instead changed the standard rear axle with a Shimano e-thru one and it’s drastically reduced. It’s still slightly noticeable but not at all whilst riding and hasn’t got any worse.

Nobody appears to have found a proper fix for it or if they have they haven’t bothered to let everyone know about it.

wolfenstein
    Free Member

Sorry to bring this thread back, how do you remove the tip of the axle..is it a compress fit?

radonrob
    Free Member

When you say the tip of the axle do you mean the red adaptors? if so yes they are press fit.

erky21
    Free Member

i have mine too brand new 2014 mavic crosstrail. just two rides and i notice a play on my rear hub how do i fix this one? is there any solution for this?

darrenspink
    Free Member

i have mine too brand new 2014 mavic crosstrail. just two rides and i notice a play on my rear hub how do i fix this one? is there any solution for this?

Get rid of them and buy something else?

TBH, not sure…I’ve just cleaned mine and it’s taken some of the play away but still pretty bad. Might take it down to my LBS again to look at and may ask them to talk to Mavic. I would contact who you got yours from to ask what to do, not good is it.

germanjulian
    Free Member

Hi,

same issue on my Canyon Grand Canyon AL SLX 7.9 which comes with Mavic Crossride 29″ wheels. Only done about 70 miles on it and noticed this today when checking tire pressure.

I read some German forums where people say “bit of play is OK” and other people try to address the issue with ways which I don’t understand (hey I bike not a mechanic)…
    Anyway I asked Canyon and will go to my lbs to see what they say… lets hope its not “should have bought from us” as I already went there to bleed my Avid’s too (Canyon paid).

Will update when I hear back from both 😕

PS: german forum links:
    http://www.mtb-news.de/forum/t/mavic-crossride-x12-hr-nabenspiel.620330/
    http://www.mtb-news.de/forum/t/mavic-crossride-29-hinterrad-hat-spiel.621226/

germanjulian
    Free Member

So Canyon did confirm those hubs cannot be adjusted but when I do my first inspection they will do my hub and could adjust the axes somehow… anyway didn’t get it.

I did find this: http://www.tech-mavic.com/tech-mavic/uk/sources/Produits/ROUTE/Roues/Cosmic_Elite_05/Bearing_Adjust_QRM.pdf

Hub play must always be gauged with the wheel fitted and tightened in the frame or fork. Tightening the quick release skewer significantly increases the lateral pressure
    exerted on the bearings. Therefore:
    • if there is play in a wheel not fitted into the frame or fork, it may disappear once the wheel has been fitted;
    • if there is no play in a wheel not fitted into the frame or fork, it is possible that tightening the quick release skewer will over-stress the bearings, thus damaging
    them

This tightening force is a subjective parameter that is directly dependent on the end user, and as such it is difficult to accurately determine the optimum bearing adjustment
    at the factory.
    In order to avoid any problems for your customers, we factory set bearing play by simulating an extreme quick release tightening force.

So a quick read about the Syntace X-12 axel on the Canyon website says tighten with 20Nm which seem extreme to me but not knowing what 20Nm of force feels like I bought a decent enough torque key which arrived today and after I applying 17Nm the play which was minimal already was even less minimal and now at 18.8Nm its gone.

The hub I swear sounds a bit deeper/silenter too now but that might be my imagination.

Anyway issue fixed 8)

tgarv
    Free Member

The hub is designed with circlip and spring that should press against conical washer and eliminate movement. Cheap design that simply doesn’t work and I doubt you will be able to eliminate the side play without some design change ie. maybe extra washer. Tightening the axle seems to work but only for a while.

booney
    Free Member

Hi,
    I’ve a 13 Canyon Nerve AL 7 with Mavic Crossride wheels
    Bike still under warranty but have to send parts back to Canyon then they have to send to Mavic and then I don’t ride for a month, blah,blah…….
    Anyway Problems with massive front wheel play so I fitted SKF 6001-2RSH but still small amount of play is evident and not possible to adjust. So I’ve just ordered 7001-2RS MAX Enduro Angular Contact Bearing 12x28x8 which I’m hoping will cure the problem. I think maybe they are fitting the wrong bearings in these wheels?!
    And the rear? Funnily enuff rear wheel bearings are OK but massive amounts of play btween free hub and cassette. Awaiting new cassette from Canyon so again hoping this will cure it. Will,post again and tell you.
    Anyone else had issues with the front hub?
    And why can’t you talk to Mavic?
    Booney
    :mrgreen:

timidwheeler

I have play in my rear x12 crossride hub. There is no way I will send the bike back to Canyon again so I am interested to see if your solution works. Can you keep us updated?
    I suppose my other option is to buy a new hub. I have no idea which one. If anyone has gone down this route what hub did you swap to?

germanjulian
    Free Member

…now after 3 months from previous post “All fixed” above:

Hub made a bit of a squeaky noise recently so went to LBS who “greased it up” and noise was gone. Notice today after 2 rides though a lot of side to side play…
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tv5Va1Q6BGg

One more time to LBS and see if they can do anything if not I will ride it hard, live with it and see if/when it gets worse and then get some DT Swiss wheels… f. Mavic and not going to bother with Canyon and warranty.

germanjulian
    Free Member

LBS is sending them to Mavic… skipping the me to Canyon to Mavic route so hopefully turnaround time is a bit better.

germanjulian
    Free Member

so got them back and took a ride today so far so good… but pretty sure Mavic changed quite a few things inside the wheel as it looks like I have QRM+ now 😀 from the outside the wheel is mine apart from the adjustable QRM thingy now so I suspect the insides have changed, see picture:

jimicarl
    Free Member

Well…; so far. We have several sets of CrossRides. Two pre-2013 with which I’ve had no problem whatsoever. The post-2013 set is bestowed with 27″ rims on a Turner Burner – and uses a DT Swiss through-axle. Just a bit of side-to-side play at the rim, which we’ve been able to deal with by snugging the through-axle. The bike’s almost a year old now, and we’ve just noticed enough play to warrant taking things apart to see what’s going on. The hub internals were in surprisingly good shape. A little gooey where you’d expect, and damp in the axle bore – but we ride all year around in mud-country & incorporate a couple of creek crossings on a fairly regular basis – so no real surprises. Overhauled the hub. No new parts necessary (wait – there’s more to come). Everything looked pretty darn good in there – with the exception of the 12mm adapters. Straightforward servicing. The axle itself is well captured in the bearings,and the bearings can’t be “pre-loaded” because they all exist between two snap-rings – one on each end of the axle. The snap-rings stop the longitudinal loading on the axle, that would (without them) effect the bearings – which Mavic apparently doesn’t want to happen any more than the tapered-washer & spring “automatic” pre-loading. In our case…, this play thing, is all about the ID of the axle, being just a smidge bigger than the OD of the through-axle (not really an “axle”, but a removable shaft to hold the axle & everything attached to it, in the right place). Even with the overhaul, there’s still some lateral slop between the axle & the through-axle – and with no apparent wear of either part. What I did find is that the 12mm adapters had ssignificant wear, and the little 0.5mmx18(?)mm o-ring “keepers” fitted inside the adapters were trashed. So for $16 – I got a new pair coming in the mail. Hopefully will arrive before the weekend – or it’ll be a hard-tail ride (on a set of perfectly functional pre-2013 CrossRides). I’m guessing that normal wear of the adapters may be allowing the axle to through-axle slop to be felt more readily. And may have be preventing the axle to seat properly in the frame – which could have some negative effect on getting the through-axle tight enough. And if not…, it’s probably more annoying than really damaging – so we’ll continue to ride them and start shopping for a new set of wheels – probably DT Swiss. I’ll get back with an update when we’ve had a chance to fit the new adapters & snug everything down.

turbo1397
    Free Member

Just resurrecting this thread. Is there a fix for this as I bought a set of used crossrides and they’ve developed this problem..

coatesy
    Free Member

If it’s the same issue we had, the bearings were sloppy on the axle, Mavic tried unsuccessfully to fix it by fitting thicker preload washers behind the circlips (pointless as that wasn’t where the play was), and we ended up using a bearing retaining compound on the axle to take up the slack.

booney
    Free Member

OK better late than never update!
    Rear wheel hub developed some play and had to go back to Mavic and they sent me a brand new pair of Crossrides.
    Great for a while, then the play came back again! Talked to a dealer who said he was giving up on Mavic Mtb wheels
    because of all the problems. So it’s not a case of “oh we’ve never had any complaints before” they are just a shite hub design. The little clip assembly thats meant to take up the play is like a DIY bodge to get you home at best.
    So now my bike is well out of warranty and I have massive rear wheel play and there’s no real permanent solution.
    Marvellous Mavic?

Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘Play in mavic crossride rear hub’ is closed to new replies.