Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)
  • Play in mavic crossride rear hub
  • coatesy
    Free Member

As above, new wheel, anybody else out there suffering something similar?

martinhurton
    Free Member

No, and I’ve had two pairs. You can tighten them with the mavic c-spanner though.

Or if it’s new you could just send it back.

coatesy
    Free Member

New ones are non adjustable, I know what the problem is (we’ve had a few already), just wondering if anybody else has had it as both Mavic and Hotlines say they’ve not come across it.

247cycleshop
    Free Member

They are adjustable so you can take the play out.
    You need a 17mm open ended spanner and a 13mm cone spanner.
    You undone the left hand locking nut with the 17mm spanner, screw in the left hand cone slightly using the 13mm cone spanner and then lock the locking nut back up.
    Even on the new 2013 they work the same.

coatesy
    Free Member

Not the ones we’ve got problems with, they’re held together with a circlip that retains a flat washer, a bevelled washer, and a spring clip. Mavic seem to think that a slightly thicker washer is the way to stop the axle being a loose fit in the bearings.

martinhurton
    Free Member

Have you got any photos?

coatesy
    Free Member

Nope, haven’t even got a camera.

martinhurton
    Free Member

Well this thread is turning out to be useful 😆

coatesy
    Free Member

Not for me, we’ve had a few with play (even after being modified,which I really didn’t think would work anyway),and I was wondering whether it was widespread,or whether we’d just had a poor batch.Seems it may be the latter, but this is STW, so they may just have taken the bikes home, polished them, and given them pride of place in the living room 🙂

247cycleshop
    Free Member

I have put pictures of both on my facebook page here Which model of crossride do you have?
    The standard QR version according to Mavic 2013 tech sheets use their standard adjustable axle or is it the 15 / 12 that is compression fit?

coatesy
    Free Member

It’s the 12mm rear, the axle seems to be loose in the bearings, can’t see a how a thicker spacer washer’s going to stop it. As said previously, just wondering if we were alone with it.

S_J
    Free Member

I’ve got the same with my crossride rear with 12mm bolt through. They were new on a new bike last August.

247cycleshop
    Free Member

If you have the reciept of purchase of the wheels / bike, contact Mavic customer services at gbcustomerservices@mavic.com you will need the bar code number from inside the rim as well and see what they say.

Sorry I have not worked on any of the 12mm rear wheels yet.

mfinlayson
    Free Member

Yup, me too. Going to contact bike supplier.

mfinlayson
    Free Member

Was sent back under warranty. Seemed tighter, just fitted it and is loose at hub. Suspect the thicker washer fix has been tried as cant see any evidence of new axle being fitted. Contacted bike supplier again. Another wheel sent back at the same time to the same supplier by a friend has come back similarly unsorted.

mfinlayson
    Free Member

coatsey, have you had any better response?

coatesy
    Free Member

Think we had the offending wheels replaced eventually, can’t say for sure at the moment as one of my colleagues was dealing with it, won’t be seeing him until Friday to check.

mrelectric

Just waiting for someone to ask for the Mavic tech site log in details.
    A popular Groundhog Day thread on the STW massive.

Good heads up on how to fix this. Ill try it without the Mavic tool.
    Rear hub on mine has this play but are really old Crossmax STR (?) though so no use for the OP; sorry.

timboman
    Free Member

I recently bought a La Pierre Zesty 514 2013 from Evans Cycles- comes with Mavic Crossride wheels. After one ride I detected play in the rear hub- the wheel was sent to Mavic for inspection and returned ‘repaired’. The hub felt ok when it was returned but after my second ride it was loose again.

I took the wheel back to Evans and they supplied me with a new wheel.

I have just returned from a weekend away with the new replacement wheel and that too has become loose.

It looks like there is a manufacturing defect with these rear crossride wheels- internal hub bore is too big and so the bearings get play when subjected to a rider’s weight?

I’ve sent Mavic an email directly now and asked them what they think.

Watch this space!

Cheers

Lee

poggs38
    Free Member

Has anyone had any luck with sorting the free play in hubs of these wheels yet? I have just bought a Canyon 29er with X12 rear axel. I have done 4 rides and there is free play already in he rear. Have taken the wheel to my local bike shop, which is a Mavic dealer and they say, they have not seen this hub before. I am waiting on them contacting Mavic as to how to proceed.

coatesy
    Free Member

We’re currently trying a bearing retaining compound on the axle/bearing interface, no results as yet as the customer has a loan wheel, and hasn’t collected it.

beberules
    Free Member

Any news on a possible solution? I have the same problem, also on a Canyon 29er with X12 axle.

robinlaidlaw
    Free Member

mfinlayson had his replaced with a new wheel by Canyon. The new wheel seems fine so far. I’ve no idea what, if anything the difference between the old wheel and the new was though.

sykik
    Free Member

Does anyone have any updated info on this issue?

I have the same problem with a rear crossride using the 12 x 142mm axle. It’s developed play within 2 weeks of use.

I emailed the LBS where I bought it from about a week or so ago, they have attempted to get hold of Mavic with no luck so far.

The sun’s out and I just want to ride the sodding thing!

ptwee
    Free Member

Same here. Play within 30 kilometers on rear axle (12×142) on my Crossride from my new Canyon 29er.

mekon
    Free Member

2013 rear…same issue. Got in March. The play is about 3mm so when its on I can’t tell but still worried.

edit…mine is QR

beanieripper
    Free Member

So it’s 2013 and Mavic still can’t make a metal pole with 2 bearings on it which a wheel can spin on..i cant believe they still get away with it..

Irish_AL
    Free Member

You won’t get much help from mavic tech, apparently there is meant to be play. I gave up discussing the matter with them in the end. Managed to solve the problem with
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/sun-ringle-rear-conversion-axle-2013/rp-prod65450

sykik
    Free Member

Irish_AL

I’m not too clued up with hubs and axles and things but may I ask how that has solved the issue?

Irish_AL
    Free Member

On my 29er cross rides, the play was coming from the two little 12mm to qr adapters, which just didnt fit quite snug enough. the sun ringle adaptor is one piece and fits just that little bit better, been running it now for about 3 months with no signs of play.

excitable1
    Free Member

Ditto. Spanking new Crossmax XT’s converted to QR with the adapters out the box. Loads of play on the first ride.

I noticed that the adapters have play in them and that the diameter of the skewer is smaller than the hole in the adapter. It’s also slightly thinner than a Hope skewer. However keeping with the Mavic QR skewer I found that tightening up the QR so it was an effort to push the lever over took the play out.

In summary… crap QR adapters and skewer results in play.

sykik
    Free Member

Well I have just had another look at mine and it appears that it isn’t the actual hub thats providing play but seems to be the maxle that doesn’t fit completely snug inside the hub and allows the wheel slight movement.

Is this normal for a 142 x 12mm wheel to do this?

mekon
    Free Member

Just took mine to the LBS. Did a quick service…and all is good. Bit of crap in there 🙂

poah
    Free Member

sorry to drag this up – I’ve just fitted a set of crosstrails to my ghost. First time just going round the block no issues but 4 days later I’m getting a clicking noise when I push hard on the pedals (fine if I just cruise about) its a clicking noise I’m getting is this down to the crap QR adptors? changing skewer made no difference.

tmizrahi
    Free Member

Hi, I’m having this issue as well. Crossride 2012 rear is 9.5mm version. After 2 rides I noticed a little play on the rear wheel. Is there anything to do with this issue except for tighten the axle, That I already did ?

Thanks

colin9

I’ve got some new 2009 Crosstrails (lying around the LBS for a couple of years) with QR and also noticed the rear wheel working loose during rides. I replaced the Mavic skewer with a Hope one and it seems to have solved the problem – for the moment anyway. I think the suspected play in the axle was actually the skewer loosening.

darrenspink
    Free Member

As mentioned before took my rear wheel to the lbs who spent 5mins giving it a clean. This was 5mths ago and play has come back. Might take it down again or look into doing it myself. Any hub should be serviced after 1000 miles I would think.

d4ilyrider
    Free Member

I thought I had the same “problem” few month after I got my Zesty 414. BUT after a lot of reading and getting my wheel back from Mavic, I finally understood and I know how to fix it ! No more problem now

maico
    Free Member

d4ilyrider – Member

I thought I had the same “problem” few month after I got my Zesty 414. BUT after a lot of reading and getting my wheel back from Mavic, I finally understood and I know how to fix it ! No more problem now

So,eh…what was the fix ?

bigpole
    Free Member

And then the freehub packs up !!!! I’ve had A set of crossrides for 3 years and not a squeak! Got some 2013 29 ERS and the bearings went closely folowed by the free hub after 9 mths of use :'(

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘Play in mavic crossride rear hub’ is closed to new replies.