Platform SPDs with flats feel

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Platform SPDs with flats feel
  • MRanger156

Hi,

After trying flats I’ve decided clipless works better for me but I did really like the feel of the bigger platform on my feet. I’m looking at platform SPD compatible pedals which will give me the feeling of flats whilst clipped in. Will pair them with a pair of Shimano AM9 shoes and currently looking at the below options:

1. Nukeproof horizon cl
    2. DMR V-Twin
    3. Shimano saint

Recommendations please?

Premier Icon mikewsmith
    Subscriber

Crank Brother Mallet DH/Race

The chewed up nature of my shoes say the pins are biting, I’ve been happy unclipped in them too. Big nice and stable

Premier Icon oldfart
    Subscriber

Shimano Trail Pedals , bombproof Devore level less than £30 XT version twice that . Work perfectly with AM9s .

dc1988

In my experience it’s as much about the shoes as the pedals, I run Mallet DH with DMT shoes. I also have some 5.10’s but I find the sole too sticky and that it interferes with the pedal

MRanger156

I’d rather stick to a SPD compatible pedal for ease of changing shoes/pedals for cross country rides so don’t really want to go go the mallets.

How are mallets not SPD compatible? I used to use them years ago before making the step up to flats, with normal spd shoes (five10 Maltese falcons), are they different now?.

MTB Rob

think when he says “SPD compatible” he means same Cleat as shiamno SPD system so he can use he shoes with other “SPD” pedals.

pothead

+1 for crank brothers mallet dh

Shimano Trail Pedals , bombproof Devore level less than £30 XT version twice that . Work perfectly with AM9s .

Not shimano trail pedals, I hate them enough that if anyone wants to swap a pair of hardly used 530’s for a set of similar 540’s PM me!

TBH I’ve never found the lack of platform a problem, even with relatively soft/flexibly soled Specialized Cadets. All the platform ever does is make clipping in that bit harder (which then spirals into not clipping in and using the platform, and needing a bigger grippier platform, etc) Whereas bog standard SPD’s you just stamp your foot onto, it clips in first time, and you go.

Premier Icon mikewsmith
    Subscriber

Just go all in and pair the mallets with some candies for xc 😉 though as its different tools for different jobs I normally just use xc shoes with xc pedals now and keep the flat soled ones for the big pedals.

I’ve certainly had issues on steep wet/loose trails where I’m happier just stamping and dealing with it later. I did years on various shimano spd’s and never got the stamp and magically you are clipped feeling

Premier Icon crashrash
    Subscriber

I have had a similar experience – prefer the SPDs and like a platform – tried a set of Horizon from a mates bike but ended up with V-Twin – like the sprung spd bit, simple to exit and clip in and big platform. They are a little thick but lots of colours so it matches the orange on my bike! They have been reliable and despite a few pedal strikes ( i have a Whyte so BB is low) no worries with axles. Being DMR you just know they work.

Personally not a fan of the egg beaters – wear out too fast.

Ah, cheers Rob, i was being a bit of a div this morning!.

Always preferred CB engagement, and time pedals too, over shimano.

MRanger156

What did you not like about the horizon cl crashrash?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.