Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Plastic grid as a shed base?
  • ebennett

Anyone able to advise on how plastic grids (like this) that you fill with stones are as a shed base? They’re probably the best option for us as there is no access to the back garden without going through the house, but I wasn’t sure if they would just create a different set of headaches!

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

When we moved house in October we needed a new small (6×4) shed and after inheriting a plastic one in the old house, went plastic again and obviously needed a base to put it on. Used something very similar to what you’ve linked but from B&Q.

Initial thoughts were that despite all the “easy to use” rubbish, it wasn’t. Was a bit of a ballache to get reasonably flat and throughout I was wishing I’d just got some slabs and sand and created a base from that – it’d have been as much faff and definitely a LOT cheaper.

All that said, now its settled it works. Would I use it again? No – as said, slabs and sand base would have been as good in use and cheaper (we also only have access to the rear garden through the house).

ebennett

Thanks, that’s useful to know. The other complicating factors are that you need to climb steps to get into the house and I have a dodgy shoulder, so I was hoping to avoid slabs but it may be best to just get fairly small ones – probably cheaper as well.

grahamt1980

I did ours with the interconnecting ones.
    Bought a tonne bag of 10mm gravel, shovelled a load of it as a base then used the interlocked plastic to level everything off checking with a spirit level. Then filled in the gaps.
    Would have been awful with bigger gravel and did take a little while to get flat but def took less time than laying slabs plus water drains through easily. Will be doing the same again for a potting shed we are going to put in

bigyim
    Free Member

I used it for mine and it was super easy and seems to have all stayed in place

carlos
    Free Member

Yep, just laid one for a 10×7 shed. I leveled the area by eye first, then a quick check with the level. Once I was happy enough I laid a bit of stone, placed on the grid, leveled this all up again and filled in with 10mm gravel (I’ve got about 100kg left out of a 1 tonne bag and did an area of 9ftx12).

This is the one I used (8×6 off Amazon is £72)

ebennett

Thanks all, that’s really helpful!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Plastic grid as a shed base?’ is closed to new replies.