Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Planning permission granted-especially bike friendly!
  • No_discerning_taste
    Free Member

Some of you may remember that about 4 months ago someone complained to the council that I allegedly ran a mountain bike centre in my garden in connection to my B&B. I was told by a very reasonable planning officer that I should apply retrospectively for planning permission for change of use of the property to incorporate the B&B and any cycle activities that takes place on or in my property. At the time we suspected that it was a neighbour complaining, but since then it seemed more likely that it probably was an angry walker that had walked past and later looked up our website as it is quite biased towards mountain bikers and decided he didn’t like to sound of it.

Anyway, I finally got the planning permission through yesterday, granted in full with the following conditions attached:

1) Provide secure, covered and practical bike storage facilities for minimum of 4 bikes as well as bike washing facilities

2) Encourage guests to take part in cycling/walking activities in the local area to minimize car use.

As the whole point of doing the B&B is based around point 1 and 2 and all of that is already in place I was laughing out loud in delight and can help thinking that the miserable person that complained in the first place kind of encouraged the very thing he/she wanted the council to get rid off!

I would expect most planning applications regarding B&B/hotel etc would now be expected to put the same facilities in place which is good for us people who won’t go on holiday without our two-wheeled companions!

fastindian
    Free Member

revenge dont come much sweeter 8)

Bunnyhop

That is such good news.

The countryside is for everyone. Hope it all goes well for you in the New Year and plenty of mtbers take up holidays in our country as well as abroad.

beej

Nice – I remember the original thread.

mmb
    Free Member

where is your b&b then?.

No_discerning_taste
    Free Member

mmb- We are on the hillside between Marple and New Mills which for not so local people means the north west corner of the Peak District.
    http://www.lilybankfarmcottage.co.uk

Stoner
    Free Member

how odd.

You dont need planning permission for any of the points made above in your OP.

I wouldnt have even made the application as you werent in breach of any planning regs in the first place.

mmb
    Free Member

looks really nice!.

loddrik
    Free Member

I am/was a planning officer and condition two is the most ridiculous condition, I can’t really understand why it is there, it certainly isn’t enforceable and therefore shouldn’t be a condition.

fadda

I remember the original thread – bloody great news, fella!

No_discerning_taste
    Free Member

The planning application was needed because of the change of use of part of the property rather than any changes to the property itself. And the conditions mentioned above is probably a part of a national drive to encourage people to walk/cycle and use public transport instead of the car. In the letter they say they wish to see suggestions for local walks/rides, local pubs etc and pick up from train stations, nothing we don’t offer already and stuff I would like to see myself when I stay somewhere. So can’t complain about the council (not about this anyway!)

Stoner
    Free Member

change of use of part of the propert

what was the change of use from/to?

No_discerning_taste
    Free Member

The change was from “private dwelling” to “private dwelling with ancillary use of part of the property for bed and breakfast” or something similar with that effect. Nothing too drastic so I guess they just wanted to check out the complaint and make sure we were complying with their bike friendly policy!

Stoner
    Free Member

ah, I thought you already had B&B planning.

The conditions though are spurious and unnecessary and dont need specifying.

Mr_Mojo
    Free Member

Just looked at your website and you’ve got a great looking place there. Congratulations on getting your planning application approved.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Point(less) 2 really is absurd! No doubt simply ‘green’ box ticking at the council.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Planning permission granted-especially bike friendly!’ is closed to new replies.