• This topic has 10 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by ajaj.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Planning permission certificates
  • oldgit
    Free Member

Selling my house, and I’ve been asked to provide planning permission and consent certificates.
    I live in an old pub that was converted to four freehold houses.
    I bought one of those houses, surely I wouldn’t be in possession of all the planning certificates.
    Is it right that I’ve been asked to supply them.
    Help.

andylc
    Free Member

Sounds kind of obvious but have you looked through the documents you got when you purchased it? We bought a barn 8 years ago and there were loads of documents there about previous purchases, planning permission for conversion and all that.
    If it was donkeys years ago then I’d very much doubt you need it. You could try contacting the local council who should keep copies of all planning permissions granted, although I’m not sure for how long they keep them.

oldgit
    Free Member

No not a thing. I successfully got a mortgage on it without having any docs.
    It was converted in 2016.
    I have nothing, not even the certificates for the central heating or rewiring.

Rubber_Buccaneer

All these documents may be publicly available on your local council’s planning portal.  I have no idea about whether you should have to supply them but they may at last be easy to get

sharkbait
    Free Member

Is it right that I’ve been asked to supply them.

Yes, in the same way that your solicitor would have wanted to see them when you bought the house.

You could try contacting the local council who should keep copies of all planning permissions granted

This…. there will be a record of the planning for the 4 properties.

koogia
    Free Member

Planning permissions are publicly available documents so the buyer’s solicitor shouldn’t have any trouble obtaining them from the relevant local authority; most probably accessible online (presuming the solicitor possesses a degree of competency).

Local Authority should also have relevant completion certs if they did the building controls work.

nt80085

Use the Local Authority ‘Search for planning applications’ under the address, it should come up with any planning history for the site. Alternatively if the property has changed names search by postcode or road name. As its recently been converted it should be on there. If that does not work you may need to fill in a request form with the planning department. Hope this helps.

petec
    Free Member

yeah – as mentioned they should be online

here’s the acceptance for a school playing field in Newbury, back in 2001

http://planning.westberks.gov.uk/rpp/showimage.asp?j=01/01132/FUL&index=131673

VanHalen

The council will only provide building regs info to the property owner or if a person has written permission from the owner.

Planning docs are available on line but can be a bugger to find sometimes.

andylc
    Free Member

It’s worth saying that if you’re lacking a building regs certificate that you need for work done, you can buy very cheap insurance that covers the buyer for anything that arises out of it. We did some internal work on our old house and then were told when we sold it that we should have had building regs approval (we didn’t get it at the time as we believed the builder who told us we didn’t need it!). Insurance to cover the lack of a certificate was about £30.

ajaj
    Free Member

your solicitor would have wanted to see them when you bought the house

When we bought our house the seller supplied a whole load of paperwork to our solicitor; planning permission, FENSA certificates, something to do with insulation. The solicitor showed them to me but I never got to keep them. Should I have so that I can do the same when we sell on?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Planning permission certificates’ is closed to new replies.