• This topic has 59 replies, 37 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by Solo.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)
  • Planning laws. Anyone planning on starting a blood feud with their neighbours?
  • binners

So the relaxation of planning laws means you can build upto an 8 metre extension without planning permission

Have they thought this through? Do they realise what they’re unleashing here. Middle Englands very favourite pastime is objecting to planning applications, and general border disputes about hedges

How long do you reckon before the first death? As someone’s next door neighbour, incensed by a new structure next door, wipes out an entire family

I’ll give it a month, tops 😆

CaptJon
    Free Member

Do people have the money to build extensions?

Scamper
    Free Member

Is that 8m just for a one storey extension?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    clubber
    Free Member

FFS, could have got a bigger attic extension than we did earlier this year 🙄

cloudnine
    Free Member

Won’t this just encourage DIY enthusiasts to attempt an extension

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

What about sheds? Surely here at STW we’re all about the sheds!

Stoner
    Free Member

Won’t this just encourage DIY enthusiasts to attempt an extension

relaxing planning will have no impact on the need to nmeet regs.
    bodgers will always bodge.

theblackmount
    Free Member

Neighbour of mine is currently planning a 6m2 extension and I have every reason to be grateful for the “protection” the planning system has given me.

Desperate stuff from Cameron and his cronies.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Thankfully, the new build generation won’t have to share their estates with chavvy neighbours in the social housing the developer was forced to build by the nasty nanny state.

More **** tory bullshit.

footflaps

Just starting on a 8m x 4m bike workshop in my garden this WE, however I have already got planning consent for it (took 14 months mind).

binners

Bravisimo – you could well be right

A friend is a planner and she seems to think that, in combination with previously announced policies on social housing like this, that its paving the way for the complete geographic separation of frightful ‘social’ housing from more Middle class areas. And this is effectively going to lead to the creation of ghettos in all but name.

sas
    Free Member

Does anyone live next to a Tory MP?

binners

Tory MP’s don’t have neighbours. They have moats 😉

footflaps

and Duck Houses….

Junkyard
    Free Member

i will chip in for an 8 m phallus or a hand with one finger pointing up if you do

bikebouy
    Free Member

I think it’s a fantastic idea. I’ve had 2 plans killed off by some nimby and not that it hindered their life in any way, they sought to undermine my right to build a kitchen extension on a G2 listed, grrrr…
    Mind that was 20+ years ago now.. I’ve never recovered from nimby’ism planners/objectors. Have I mentioned my 2nd SO’s father was a Solicitor who also sat on the planning committee for Derbyshire? No? ohhh I have a great deal to say about him…and his limited view of life.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Bet the facists at Peak Park Planning Authority are exempt as they attempt to pickle the environment in aspic at some fantasy point in an idyll that never existed, unless you are a farmer or quarry or cement factory of course – and breathe!!

KonaTC

So there is a relaxation of planning laws that mean you can build up to an 8 metre (24 Foot) extension without planning permission? Or so my mate Dave says;

Now there’s a plan (no pun intended) that’s not going to survive contact with the fascists at your local planning department, I’m sure they will find a rule within a sub clause, of a document within a document dating back to the Doomsday Book; that says your extension needs planning consent and places a prohibition order on you stopping all work until you jump through many red taped hoops, several times over.

Please Note: this may be a biased view as I have the wounds after one house renovation and a garage and extension to another house.

binners

I’m planning on annexing half our street 😀

samuri
    Free Member

Horrible little people in planning departments.

Honestly, some of the ones we had to deal with were just downright nasty. One guy actually said “I can’t extend my house, why should anyone else.”

Little shit. Thanks to him, we had to cut the corner off our conservatory to ensure it didn’t pass the 3m limit. What a joke and let me re-iterate, what a nasty, nasty little person.

Good I say, what you build in your own garden is your business.

mt
    Free Member

Binners will you be having a party once the first extension related death has been confirmed?

binners

Yes… then I’m going to annex the local park for my new guitar shaped swimming pool

bikebouy
    Free Member

Ahhh yes the Peak Planning “Authority”

The once was a farmer who wanted to convert a scrap yard in the rear of his farm into a shed for his cows.. refused.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Good I say, what you build in your own garden is your business.

Thankfully, this is not the case, and the planners make sure this is so.

zimbo
    Free Member

I don’t agree with this, so I’m going to extend my garden by 8m by knocking down my house.

br
    Free Member

Just starting on a 8m x 4m bike workshop in my garden this WE, however I have already got planning consent for it (took 14 months mind).

This for me is more important, we’ve just been put back again by planning (so now can’t start until spring as I need the roof off and the walls will be exposed – to frost). They have 8 weeks to respond to an application; after 7 weeks they asked a question, which after our answer gives them another 8 weeks…

And the question they asked – are we on private or public water supply? And for those who know Scotland, they could’ve just looked at our Council Tax bill, as it is on there FFS!

mk1fan
    Free Member

Do people have the money to build extensions?

There’s plenty of activity in this section of the market already. I’m turning away work. It’s housing developments that are ‘needed’ not bigger extensions to existing homes.

Existing PD rights are generous enough as they are (imo) and don’t need relaxing further.

Tom-B
    Free Member

A couple of years back in Stoke-on-Trent a bloke was murdered by his neighbor as a result of a planning dispute….

kimbers

clubber – Member

FFS, could have got a bigger attic extension than we did earlier this year nope its only applies to ground floor extensions

Its possibly one of the most pointless gesture by cameron yet

I imagine the only extensions it will get built are ones that have already had permission turned down, ie the most contentious ones so will probably cause a load of grief

it does nothing to alleviate the housing shortfall and serves to remind us all just how far removed from reality politicians are

Stoner
    Free Member

samuri, check out
    http://www.tlio.org.uk/chapter7/

It is not likely that the planning system specializes in recruiting the nastiest, most two-faced individuals it can find, so it is safer to assume that there is something in the culture of the planning system that leads planning officers to behave like this. One factor is that your planning officer is probably fairly junior and after having been initially encouraging towards you, he or she may well be leaned on by superiors; and these superiors may well be influenced by councillors or other local political interests. One former planning officer states: “There is a hierarchy of planning officers that the application has to filter through and there can be a lot of conflict of view and pressurized disagreement. Certainly, if one officer is considered too sympathetic to certain applicants or developments (‘gone native’), then a more hostile (‘objective’) senior takes over.”

mrben100
    Free Member

I can’t help but think that planning departments have been making money off planning applications for extensions that would have been allowed under permitted development anyway and not advising this is the case.

*So it only really appears to be an (ahem) extension of these existing rights.

More of a concern generally is that in alot of cases developers of sites usually have to give a proportion over to affordable housing – the new guidance I heard was that this would no longer be required if it wasn’t economically viable.

Can’t help but think that not many affordable based of developers calcs that the figures don’t stack up!

* I haven’t actually seen what the proposals are fully.

loddrik
    Free Member

Planning officer here, and it’s quite funny that people are happy to slag off planning officers and the planning system, and quite rightly to a point, but when someone wants to build something monstrous next door to them or their dear old gran, it’s suddenly not such a bad thing…

And as for this stupid new rule governing the size of permissible extensions, this is utter utter madness. This Tories have always hated the planning system and will do all they can to dismantle it.

Just yesterday I had to go and see an old lady whose neighbour had just put up a 10ft wooden fence which has had a devastating effect on her property and more significantly her happiness. Luckily the planning system will see that the wooden fence comes down, not if Dave and his mates had their way it wouldn’t though.

loddrik
    Free Member

I can’t help but think that planning departments have been making money off planning applications for extensions that would have been allowed under permitted development anyway and not advising this is the case.

Very few planning departments are running at a surplus, and those that are the revenue is used to prop up other council depts which are running at a deficit. The aim is to have the dept self funded, though most are not.

binners

I really wasn’t joking about the deaths, you know? I seriously reckon there are going to be passive-aggressive, suburban killings over conservatory-based disputes.

What do you reckon loddrik? You must see these disputes first hand

loddrik
    Free Member

See them all the time, not seen any get violent, but it seems the richer the occupants and bigger the house the more bitter the dispute.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Perhaps it’s just PPA that is staffed by opinionated nasty little people, but when living in a village that is 40% rendered buildings to be told that render is not in keeping and the cost of the project should double because “in my opinion it should be stone, and that is what counts”, you may see why petty planning officials are up there with estate agents and solicitors as everyone’s favourites.

pjm84
    Free Member

I’ve never had any major problems

mrben100
    Free Member

Was just trying to point out that not many people (outside of the industry) seem to know about permitted development – and get advised that this is the case by anyone.

I work in an Architects practice (though I’m not an Arch), and the rule of thumb appears to be: Planning granted = good planner, Planning refused = bad planner 😉

bikebouy
    Free Member

It’s the petty minded stupid illogical decisions the Planners make the peees everyone off, like the render post above.
    Thats what you lot get bad press for.
    Helping Old Ladies with garden fence disputes is what you should be there for, not to decide “it don;t look right to me so No you can’t do it like that” decisions.

First hand experiance here from both sides of the fence.

ebygomm
    Free Member

If planning permission is refused there is the right of appeal. If decisions are really ‘petty’ you can also be awarded costs against the local authority. Do people really think that planning officers refuse things on a whim? Planning officers are generally working to rules set by others. Councillors on the other hand…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘Planning laws. Anyone planning on starting a blood feud with their neighbours?’ is closed to new replies.