Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Planet X Xls vs On One Space chicken – worth the extra?
  • spudly1979
    Free Member

Looking at these 2 options as i’ve had a bit of birthday money

https://www.planetx.co.uk/c/q/bikes/cyclocross-bikes/xls

https://www.planetx.co.uk/c/q/bikes/gravel-adventure-bikes/space-chicken

Its not going to ever be used for CX racing etc, just for riding on local trails when the fancy takes me. To replace my Cotic Escapade which is feeling a little heavy! Currently running 2×9, so i’d have to change that for the chicken.

Xls seems to be a lot better value, but is it much more cx race focused?

jamiep
    Free Member

XLS is race focused. Aggressive position, I find it to be a fairly stiff rear triangle

kilo

I was on my xls for a seven hour ride a couple of weeks ago, bridle ways mtb tracks road etc (Summer lightening in Surrey was one track we did) I didn’t find it particularly aggressive, depends what you’re used too.

branes

Although I can’t tell what tyre clearance you get on the XLS, I doubt it would be more than 40mm (probably less). The Chicken is much more versatile from a wheel/tyre perspective so imo much more likely to suit your trail riding intents that the XLS.

Head angle a bit slacker on the Chicken too, which will make it a tiny bit more stable, I doubt it’s a deal breaker though. Nothing to choose on the geometry otherwise really.

Thru axles on the Chicken make it a bit more compatible wheel-wise with any modern-ish MTB you might have.

footflaps

https://www.planetx.co.uk/news/products/q/date/2014/08/04/xls-vs-dirty-disco

Good read.

I was looking at the Chicken, but went for the Specialzed Diverge in the end….

kilo

You’ll only get 35s in the back of the xls

mos

I’ve had an XLS for the past 3 years & would say that if you’re not racing then the Chicken is the better option. XLS can be a little stiff at the back end & seems to be quite short in the top tube. Plus as mentioned above, a bit limited on tyre sizes.
    I think the Space Chicken is the more versatile of the 2. It would make a better cross bike than the XLS would make a gravel bike.
    If they had been selling them at £1200 this time last year, then i would have got one instead of the Pickenflick i bought as a commuter.
    Nothing wrong with it, just lack of mudguard ayes is a bit of an arse.

longsider
    Free Member

How would the chicken be in cyclo-cross events. As a newbie who just wants to compete would it do a job or would the XLS be more fun. I want a bike for entering some events, cycling to work on a canal towpath, doing mountain bike orienteering, speed rather than technical routes( not in mountains more on bridal ways) and thrashing around some blue trails at Cannock.
    I keep almost pulling the trigger and buying the Xls rival 1 for just under a grand but then see something else.

plus-one

Space chicken is a great bike I had mine around 9 months I’d happily have raced cx on it(hung my racing spurs up few years ago) only moved it on as I have way too many bikes and mtb suits me for my local stuff.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Planet X Xls vs On One Space chicken – worth the extra?’ is closed to new replies.