• This topic has 52 replies, 27 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by brant.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)
  • Planet X XLS Shimano 105 Cyclocross Bike
  • Jamie
    Free Member

Anyone got one, and are they any good?

In the market for a disc’d CX bike, after selling on my Boardman CX, and just got an email about these. Looks like it would be just the ticket as one bike to do it all, type thing.

….or would it be too focused for anything other than short CX races?

http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/CBPXXLS105/planet_x_xls_shimano_105_cyclocross_bike

wwaswas

I saw that.

Looks like a bargin given they sell the frame and forks for £600.

Does have bottle cage bosses so it’s not that pure a cx race bike.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Would look nice in naked UD or matt finish. I think 12K gloss carbon looks gash.

cp

head tube length is short for a given size, and top tube length is on the shorter ‘cx racy’ than longer all rounder of the boardman.

was your boardman disc or pre-disc? why did you sell?

DavidB
    Free Member

I built up an XLS and have ridden it from Cardiff to Ben Nevis on tracks and all sorts of shitey roads, carrying lightweight gear.

I love it to death, so much so that I seem to ride it more than the MTB.

thedude
    Free Member

I’m hoping we see a 105 dirty disco soon.

Jamie
    Free Member

was your boardman disc or pre-disc? why did you sell?

Disc.

I sold it as even though I had the small frame*, it still was quite long and I do prefer to be a bit upright. I could have sorted it by changing stems and whatnot, but got offered a very good price for it so am just selling it and getting something else.

Boardman small = 540mm TT
    XLS small = 515mm TT

righog
    Free Member

Very tempted with this.

I have been looking for a CX bike to replace a Hardtail and a road bike. This looks like just the bike.

Any experiences of how it rides on road ( mainly 50 milers and the odd 100)

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Why are CX bikes shorter in the top tube?

I cans ee a logic to longer/taller top tubes and head tubes to create space, but does that mean buying up a size to get the correct reach?

Straightliner

I also have an XLS (SRAM gearing, not Shimano) and it’s lovely. Very comfy over long distances, yet with stiff and precise handling, and a nice low weight. At this price they seem an absolute bargain.

hora
    Free Member

How much does it weigh?

LS
    Free Member

Boardman small = 540mm TT
    XLS small = 515mm TT

Doesn’t tell us a lot in isolation, particularly without knowing the STA.

Del

click the link the OP put up?
    🙄
    looks stonking for the money. hmm.

LS
    Free Member

And what’s the STA on the Boardman, then? Or am I supposed to go searching for that? 😕

Slacker STA equals shorter effective reach and longer stem required for a given TT length, affecting the handling depending on what you want it for. And the opposite for a steeper STA.

vdubber67
    Free Member

I’ve got one of the SRAM equipped ones, but not raced it yet so can’t really comment. Crossjunkie review here…http://crossjunkie.blogspot.co.uk/2012/11/planet-x-pro-carbon-xls-cyclo-cross-new.html

Wheels are different with the 105 version to the SRAM one, but look equally heavy and crap. I’ve gone straight to tubs.

Del

Jamie
    Free Member

Or am I supposed to go searching for that?

Wouldn’t be hard, just a few clicks.

I’m feeling generous, so here you go:

Boardman on the right. XLS on the left. Click to make biggerer.

Creg

Would be interested to read others experiences of these too. Debating a cross bike to replace a road bike and to use for some offroad commutes to work and these look amazing value for money compared to whats in my LBS.

LS
    Free Member

If you have the same saddle setback on each bike then the effective TT on the PX will be approx 1.2cm shorter than the Boardman, so assuming you aren’t at the extreme ends of the stem-length scale you should be able to get the positions the same. Slacker headtube on the PX will help compensate for the shorter HT if you need it to.

RustySpanner

Wow.
    Silly value for money.

What’s the difference between this and the Dirty Disco?
    One more race oriented than the other?

Or is this just the new version?

Ta.
    R P McMurphy.

righog
    Free Member

How many is “Lots in stock” Hope it’s enough, so I have time to save for it 😀

mrblobby
    Free Member

Looks like it’s a bit slacker with a shorter top tube to the disco. Sounds a bit less racey. Is a bit confusing though when Planet X and On One appear to have competing bikes.

Straightliner

The cross-junkie posts talk about the DD and the XLS and the differences between them. XLS is supposedly the more racey of the two.

Jamie
    Free Member

How many is “Lots in stock” Hope it’s enough, so I have time to save for it

I have emailed Planet-X a few questions, so hopefully find out in a week or two 😀

….I did mean to ask about the helitape thing, but forgot.

Caher

sorry got in late on this: but why sell the Boardman – reviews suggest it was one of the best CX’s around for under 1K?
    I was thinking if getting one but now that Planet X looks very good…

Jamie
    Free Member

but why sell the Boardman

It was an excellent bike, but I got made a decent offer. Plus I really wasn’t a fan of SRAM Apex, the BB30 and it was a bit long for me.

Caher

thanks

Jamie
    Free Member

The new 2014 range was supposed to be coming out soonish, but I have the feeling it might be months, rather than weeks.

Weird how all major companies are realising bikes after the CX season starts.

codybrennan
    Free Member

I’m seriously tempted by one of these. Anyone got one yet?

If so, re sizing: I’m about 5′ 7″ or so. Would a small be ok?

Jamie
    Free Member

If so, re sizing: I’m about 5′ 7″ or so. Would a small be ok?

Same height as you, and Brant (brant, brant) said small should be fine.

codybrennan
    Free Member

Thanks Jamie.

Jamie
    Free Member

No worries, now go and buy one and let me know if it’s any good 😀

mjrose
    Free Member

What is the likelihood of the 57cm coming back into stock anytime soon?

stuzz
    Free Member

I’m after a cx bike, and have looked at the Ridley x-bow 105 and the Planet x xls.
    But i’m unsure about the size with xls. I’m 5’10” and normally ride a 54/56cm but i have heard that the xls has a short wheelbase and to be careful as your toe may catch the wheel on sharp turns! And im worried the 57cm may be to big!

Anyone heard this or have one with some advice??

clubber
    Free Member

I had a good look at the xls recently and discussed with their semi sponsored rider. It all sounded good but the head tubes are sorry and I reckoned of would be too short for me. Smaller people or those looking to use it purely for cx racing may not find that an issue.
    http://crossjunkie.blogspot.com/2012/11/planet-x-pro-carbon-xls-cyclo-cross-new.html?m=1

Why are CX bikes shorter in the top tube?
    I cans ee a logic to longer/taller top tubes and
    head tubes to create space, but does that mean
    buying up a size to get the correct reach?

Simple answer is that it works… Top tube length affects weight distribution not just your position on the bike. That said, historically I suspect that many used the same ish length stem on both road and cx (since cx bikes are usually built up with old road components) so the frame automatically adjusted for that by being shorter in the tt.

Jamie
    Free Member

but the head tubes are sorry

Nothing worse than an apologetic headtube 😡

clubber
    Free Member

Just seen this.

😀 “SHORT”

Damn you autocorrect 😉

Caher

Been in between sizes I might be forced to travel up to Sheffield to see the bike before I buy. Anyone been to the store? Can I ask to have ready two sizes to try?

72dg
    Free Member

got this dilemma as well, its a 180 mile round trip for me so I am loathe to go but havig been into other shops and tried a variety of different sizes in Trek and Giant bikes I just dont know. I’m 180cm with short legs and inflexible, so I should go for the Large but I’m borderline on Giants between a m and M/L which is about 55cm apparently.
    If I buy it totally stock do I have the right of exchange at my cost if I get it horribly wrong do you think?

Caher

380 round trip for me so I’d better call before I go!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Planet X XLS Shimano 105 Cyclocross Bike’ is closed to new replies.