Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • PLanet X winter shoes (MTB) anyone taken the plunge?
  • svensvenson

and if so, did you get wet feet? ha ha. Seriously they don’t look so bad for the price, any idea which make they’ve “borrowed” the design from?

My current pair of defrosters are entering their 4th (5th? I can’t remember) winter and are missing some chunks out f the sole etc.

any advice welcome (within reason obviously – so wrong place to ask , I know…)

Steve.

simondbarnes
    svensvenson

looks like them, although the photos seem to have changed from the first time I looked…

thanks for finding them. any idea about whether they’re any good though?

hardtailonly

I’m interested too, as I’m going to get some proper winter boots this year rather than my standard XC-ish SPDs (with or without (not-very) waterproof socks and/or overshoes).

I actually find overshoes pretty good on the road, but they get chewed up pulling over bulkier MTB shoes, it if having to get off and walk.

Winter boots seem to get a mixed reception, and I suppose I’m trying to avoid spending cash on something that is a bit ‘meh’ …

damascus
    Free Member

The problem with them for me are:

1) you can buy branded waterproof boots in the sale for not much more. I bought some Scott gortex heater boots for £55 new and they have been brilliant.

2) planet x change their prices with the wind. I’d hate to buy them for £70 to find they are in some wakey sale linked to the number 13 etc. If thyy sell well, then the price might go up. If they don’t sell a lot then the price will go down. I suspect the cheaper £35 shoes have sold more.

3) £70 for some untested boots with no long term reviews are a bit of a gamble.

4} merlin make their own shoes now. I picked up a set of fizik Road shoes for the same price of their own brand shoe and they look identical. Chances are they probably are identical so it’s just about the brand. I choose the bigger brand.

Edit. Have they all sold out or are they just not in stock yet?

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/SHFLRDEF/planet-x-das-boot-extreme-weather-off-road-cycling-boot—2-bolt-spd

damascus
    Free Member
    kneed

It looks like a rebranded version of the FLR winters (as mentioned above) that are reviewed here – but with a different closure method (ie laces):

https://off.road.cc/content/review/shoes/flr-defender-winter-shoe-review-3311

I may have taken a punt on them but got some Diadora polarex’s for £55 recently from a Wiggle clearance. Otherwise – I think I would. But yeah – the price will be £200 tomorrow and then then be free with a helmet the week after!

vdubber67
    Free Member

I’ve had some of the FLR road shoes for a couple of years. Surprisingly awesome actually. They’re really well built.

hardtailonly

Well, someone must be able to report back. Went to try and order some, and despite them only coming into stock last week, all sizes (bar one) are now out of stock.

So … Worth holding out for?

@brant
    … More stock coming soon?

hardtailonly

Hmm. PX live chat says more coming end January …

Anything else I should consider at a similar price?

gibbsy88
    Free Member

I’ve got some. I originally got them in a size 46 which is the size of my trainers and shimano mtb/Road shoes but I had to send them back and get a 45 which were a much better fit. Afrer reading up on it I think people usually get a size up in shimano so makes sense. They seem well made and they’re very comfy. They’ve got a fleece lined inner and a soft neoprene cuff. The lacing system is also very easy to tighten and feels secure. I’m not used to winter boots so it took a bit of getting used to with them coming up so high. I went out yesterday and my feet didn’t get cold at all and I went through a flooded section where my feet were submerged up to the cuff and my feet didn’t get wet which was a bonus. When I got home they were covered in mud so cleaned them under the outdoor tap making sure no water got in the top and they stayed dry inside so I’m chuffed with them. I think they’re great but I only have none winter mtb spd shoes to compare them to. Happy to answer any other questions about them

willrab
    Free Member

I’ve got a pair of the Planet X ones and an older pair of Northwave winter boots. The Planet X ones have kept my feet warm and dry through some very wet muddy MTB rides, the fastening isn’t ideal for hike a bike moments as the neoprene flap is in one piece rather than split like the Northwaves but does the job. They seem good value for money and would probably go for them again, but haven’t tried them in really cold weather yet.

georgesdad

Have just ordered a pair. Sick of cold feet in my lightweight Polaris shoes even with overshoes on. Ordered a 46,same size as my Polaris so will report back on fit and warmth/waterproofing. If they’re as good as the other stuff I buy off them they should do the job.

georgesdad

OK, back from wet muddy 18 mile night ride with warm dry feet. First impressions, awkward to walk in, great on the bike. Stiff sole. No grip on wet rocks. Not sure how long the gripper on the laces will take to wear the laces. However there’s a huge difference in warmth over my ‘summer’ shoes, waterproof socks and (planet x) overshoes.

They might be twenty quid come march, but it’ll be warmer by then so I’m happy with them for £69.99. Will see how they last for the rest of the winter.

Poopscoop

Sound like a good investment mate, cheers for the feedback.

stevie750

Anyone got any longer term views of these, back to £69.99 so thinking of getting a pair

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

They sized a little small for me, I ordered the EU 43 a month ago, but felt too cramped for my toes within a few minutes… Ordered the 44s and sent the 43s back for a refund the other day and refund issued this morning.

drnosh
    Free Member

I bought a pair, 2 bolt cleat fitting but had to size up – 46 up to 47.

Used them when we had the snow and freezing fog a couple of weeks back and…..NO cold feet.

Silk liner sock and normal sock.

Certainly very splash proof from the wet/puddles yesterday, but have not tested full waterproofness as yet.

For the price, I’m happy.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘PLanet X winter shoes (MTB) anyone taken the plunge?’ is closed to new replies.