Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Planet x tt bikes limited options
  • Edric64
    Free Member

They seem to offer strange and limited options on some builds 11 -28 cassettes on a tt bike and wide 53/39 rings with no bigger option also only offer short cranks .I keep thinking about hiting the buy buton but would need to change to much .180mm cranks ,55 t ring and a closer cassette for a start.

mtbfix

Is the ‘take it or leave it’ spec not the reason for the cheapness?

wwaswas

they sell a lot of bikes to tri-athletes 😉

Edric64
    Free Member

Possibly I dont know if upgrades are available .I appreciate that im tall and use huge gears so may not be easy to cater for

njee20
    Free Member

If you buy a Trek/Spesh/Scott etc you don’t get to choose those things, why would you on a P-X 😕

jono84
    Free Member

can you opt out of a chain ring crank an casette etc an sorce your own from else where? or buy whats on offer and sell the bits you dont want/need to fund the other bits …..maybe worth dropping them a email

warton
    Free Member

buy frame only, use the spare cash to buy stuff you want, and a pair of cheap Chinese wheels

Edric64
    Free Member

The Chinese wheels are more than the PX ones ! and it seems strange to do tt bikes with such huge cassettes and short cranks ,unless they are aimed at triathletes in which case they are missing the stabilizers

STATO
    Free Member

172.5mm is hardly short.

STATO
    Free Member

TBH if your big enough to need 180mm cranks PX bike will likely be too small for you anyway, they dont cater for the extreme ends of the market much, at least not the tall end anyway.

Edric64
    Free Member

But not to offer at least 175 mm cranks is, most stuff comes that long and some come in 180mm

STATO
    Free Member

They offer bikes so cheap by massive bulk buying groupsets (look at the amount of RED shifters they were trying to shift last year!). If your bulk buying you buy a size that 99% of people are happy to use, your the 1%. If they started to match lengths to bike sizes etc. then they would be a fair bit more expensive.

Anyway, have you atcually asked? they do offer the ability to switch parts if you ask.

Edric64
    Free Member

I can see that its a one size fits most policy

brant
    Free Member

Possibly I dont know if upgrades are available .I appreciate that im tall and use huge gears so may not be easy to cater for

I can’t remember ever stocking 180mm cranks, but I’m sure our sales team could put something custom built for you, with FSA or Shimano kit I’d hope.

However, a quick whizz around the B2B sites suggests even getting a 180mm crankset doesn’t seem that easy right now.

Edric64
    Free Member

Looks like TA do cranks to 185mm still

brant
    Free Member

However, a quick whizz around the B2B sites suggests even getting a 180mm crankset doesn’t seem that easy right now.

To clarify, I meant “stock available to buy in the UK right now”.

ian martin
    Free Member

I had 180mm truvativ stylo crank on my 2006 single speed Inbred 26er, fitted as standard.
    They were handy on the climbs.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Cuts both ways. I’ve looked but wanted 170mm cranks. Not an option either. Such is life.

carlos
    Free Member

When I bought my PX SL Pro and wanted to upgrade the crankset all it took was a phone call to ask and agree a few extra ££ for the one I wanted. I’m sure the prices are keen and priced well for the spec (just like any brand) but there is always room to upgrade and any half decent shop will let you.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Planet x tt bikes limited options’ is closed to new replies.