Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Planet X Tempest – Small or Medium?
  • kingofhtefr
    Free Member

Hi folks,

Long time lurker seeking PX owners advice on the magnificent Tempest.

I’m 5’7″ but it’s spread out so I could probably make a Small or Medium work with some adjustments. It’ll be thrashed on a mix of roads, gravel and single track so again in theory either size could work with the right setup.

So, based on your experience, would Tempest owners recommend that I get a Small or Medium?

If folks have one that they’re willing to part with please let me know. Otherwise I’ll have to wait until PX have a sale.

Cheers,
    Stephen

iain1775
    Free Member

I’m 5’10” and went for a large
    It’s fine for me but I’ve switched to a 70mm stem that makes the steering a bit quick
    I would say a small, sizing is quite generous

cogglepin

I’m 5’ 8” and have the medium which is spot on for me. Whereabouts are you based?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    kingofhtefr
    Free Member

Thanks dude, north Somerset!

Interesting that there’s only 2″ between you and iain1775. Presumably he’d have preferred a Medium which would put me on a Small.

MrSparkle

I’m 5’9” and my Medium is bob on size wise. Reckon you are right and need a Small. Ace bike, btw. Good choice.

cogglepin

Ah, I’m in East Yorkshire! As Mr Sparkle says it’s an ace bike and it’s my go to now, love it!

kingofhtefr
    Free Member

Thanks All,

It’ll be a big upgrade from my much abused Dawes Ultra Galaxy. There’s currently nothing on eBay or Gumtree so if anyone knows of someone letting go of a small please send them my way.

Otherwise with any luck PX will have a sale in the near future!

Cheers,
    S

ojays
    Free Member

I’m 5’8 and on a medium.

If I was using it as a road bike I’d have been potentially better on a small with a normal stem.

I use it more off road where possible so with the shorter stem I’m running (80) and bit of height the medium has over the small I’m very comfy on it. I think the small might have given a too aggressive position for gravel use.

I’m usually right in the cusp of road bike sizing between 52 and 54 if any use.

Just been out today on mine – love it, it’s a great bike – really comfy and really quiet running rival 1x and 650b wheels with some Senderos tyres at low pressure. Still feels quick on road too even with the tyres.

kingofhtefr
    Free Member

Thanks ojays, good to know!

Been playing around on my employers C2W scheme – Cycle Solutions. Based on folks experience of C2W does the deal on this Genesis CdF seem to good to be true?

CdF

squealer
    Free Member

£322.67 doesn’t divide into £4,399 so there’s something off with their calculation, it seems to imply you’ll make 12 payments of £322.67 so you’re getting the bike for £3,872.04. Is that right?

the calcs after for the savings are about right, as a basic rate payer you’ll save 32% of the monthly payment and as a higher rate you’ll save 42% of the monthly payment.

riklegge

@kingofhtefr I have messaged you.

igm

Slightly off topic, but get two sets of wheels.

Out on mine on 18 miles of tracks and paths last night with a set of WTB Nanos on (40mm and I still get mudguards on!). Quick change of wheels to the GP5000s and I did the 20 miles into work this morning with panniers etc. Another 20 home this evening.

Incredibly accomplished bike.

I’m 6’ with a 32” leg on a large. For road/commuting I like a 100mm -6 degree stem, but for off road 90mm +6mm. The compromise is the off road set up on the stem. The wheels/tyres swap makes a huge difference though.

kingofhtefr
    Free Member

Thanks igm!

Two sets of wheels sounds ideal and something I’ll probably have to consider as I’ve only got space for one bike. I’m swaying towards a Small as I do spend a fair amount of time on roads but you’ve reassured me that I could make either a Sm or Med work, albeit with a compromise.

Seeing as the thread is still receiving interest I thought I’d share a shot of the bike the Tempest will be replacing, out in the woods (MBUK favourite) today. I’ll need to make room for the Ti so the Dawes will have to find a new home sadly.

Dawes Ultra Galaxy

I’d never have guessed in 98/99 that I’d be lusting after a PX all these years later…

igm

Can I take it back? I’m knackered after that ride home.

Thursday 0700 1hr personal trainer
    Thursday 1830 18 miles gravelly
    Friday 0630 20 mile commute
    Friday 1900 20 mile commute home

Now, still buzzing but dead.

igm

PS looking at the picture, you could have gone one size larger at the front. Not sure at the rear.

kingofhtefr
    Free Member

And only a week later I’m the proud owner of a Small Tempest courtesy of a full forum member.

It managed the Blue run at Cannop much to the amusement of everyone I passed on the way down. Looking forward to trying it with 650b wheels and Senderos.

Great bike!

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Planet X Tempest – Small or Medium?’ is closed to new replies.