Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Planet X Tempest Photos and sizing
  • RRD
    Free Member

Seriously considering a Tempest.

I am exactly 6ft falling between L and XL frame size.

Firstly, what are peoples sizing experiences?

I would also appreciate any photos to see them in the flesh (specifically L and XL).

Thanks

escrs
    Free Member

Cant help with the photos or sizing but im also tempted by one of these, also looked at the space chicken but its god awful ugly colour schemes put me off

I would like to know if its possible to run an internal routed dropper in a Tempest frame?
    Got a brand new Marzocchi Transfer post (exactly the same as a FOX Performance dropper) in 31.6mm and dont know if the Tempest has any holes in the BB area that a cable could pass through?

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Stack and reach, taking the stem length into consideration.

I’m 5’10 with ~32″ cycling inseam (“hardback book” with bare feet method), my 58cm Cube has 388mm reach (with a 110mm/ -6 degree stem) and 610mm stack. The RS505 hydraulic brifter hoods are quite long too, adding another ~10mm+ compared to most hoods.

The 510mm Tempest frame has 383/579mm reach/stack.
    The 530mm frame has 394/588mm.
    The 550mm frame has 406/599mm.

By default the Tempest comes with a 100mm/ +10 degree stem. Probably wouldn’t want the stability of a longer road stem. http://yojimg.net/bike/web_tools/stem.php makes it 19mm less reach and 24mm more stack than my Cube stem, using Tempest 71.5 head angle.

I would probably choose the 530mm frame even though I think I would also fit the 550mm without upsetting my lower back, because I think I could then choose to use a 110mm frame if it was getting far more road than offroad use.

igm

I’m 6’. I got a large.

Seems about right for me, but no guarantee for anyone else.

Alex

5ft11 long body/short legs. Got a Large. No idea if you could drill for a dropper. Really happy with mind. Ridden in on (easy) singletrack and done lots of back-lane, gravel-y type riding. Also Welsh C2C and it was just fab fully loaded up with luggage.

Pic you say?

Unladen
    Pub-Bike

Bikepacking
    Lon Las Cymru - Day 3

Lon Las Cymru - Day 4

Riding
    Lon Las Cymru - Day 3

Lon Las Cymru - Day 1

I swapped the ‘reach for the stars’ stem with the same length but zero degree one. Left the spacers where they were. Stuck a non cast iron seatpost and charge saddle on it and then just rode it.

Fits me really well. Not sure I’d want an XL.

mattbee

6’2” with a 34” inseam, on a Large. Think the XL would have been a bit long although would have meant less spacers under the stem, which itself could then have been a bit shorter but I’m happy with the handling and sizing & don’t feel I should have gone bigger. The saddle/bar positions are set using the measurements I git from my Retul road bike fit but with slightly higher bars to reflect the less aero/head down position I wanted from an all rounder rather than a full on road bike

RRD
    Free Member

Thank you for your posts. Confirmed I am a large.

toby

Timely thread, As a 6-footer I’ll stop regretting umm-ing and ah-ing long enough to miss the XL one that popped up on eBay at the start of the week…

I can’t see that it would be any worse than a steel bike to Dremmel a cable hole in for a dropper post and there are a few threads on people doing that – at least it won’t rust!

Should we start the magic incantation? Brant Brant Brant[1], thoughts on likelihood of catastrophic failure if one were to make a stealth dropper hole?

[1] In this case, should it be Zak, Zak, Zak?

escrs
    Free Member

Cheers for the dropper post answers and sorry to the op for car jacking his thread

Not looking to drill any holes but rather to use any existing ones which could fit a gear cable through, in the Planet X pics there looks to be a hole on the underside of the BB and on the bottom of the downtube by the BB right next to the cable guides looks like a cable port or something

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/FRPXTIGRV3/planet-x-tempest-v3-fm-titanium-gravel-road-frame

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Planet X Tempest Photos and sizing’ is closed to new replies.