• This topic has 18 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 1 week ago by Mowgli.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Planet X Tempest
  • Premier Icon zepnat
    Free Member

Hi guys, after drawing a blank on a Charge plug titanium I was wondering what people’s opinions were on the Planet X tempest, this looks better than the Charge, takes guards and rack if needed so ticks the boxes, is it best to upgrade from Rival or is this adequate? Did yours come with the selcof flared bars? Might need to contact Brant to see what options could be to put standard bars on the build.

If anyone has one that they are selling in size large I could be interested, live in Derby can only do local pickup but happy for courier etc.
    Cheers in advance
    Chris

Premier Icon neila

Have a look via the search box up there^^ There have been several (big) threads covering the Tempest and the overriding opinion was good. I have one for commuting and light off road/gravel riding and other than a dislike of Sram Rival (since swapped out for GRX) it’s been great.

Premier Icon Saccades
    Free Member

Had rival 22 HRD on my bike (PX LR) for 6 years, the brifter just died so not too bad I don’t think, have averaged 3.5k hilly km on it so lots of changes.

I replaced the chainset for 105 as I was sick of the gxp bottom bracket having to be replaced way too often mind.

I don’t think there is a reason to upgrade.

Premier Icon mcnultycop

Might need to contact Brant to see what options could be to put standard bars on the build.

You could, but he’s not there any more.

Premier Icon BlobOnAStick

I’ve got one with Rival 22.

Erm….. I guess that once I’d got used to the SRAM shifting style I had absolutely no problem with it.

The bike is really comfy almost off the peg (self-identify bars and all.) I replaced the tyres with Gravel kings set up tubeless. Aside from an issue where the “tubeless ready” label was actually tubeless rim strips which weren’t properly installed (so leaked via spoke nipple holes) it’s been absolutely faultless and I really enjoy riding it.

Happy to answer any questions but as already stated there’s been a couple of threads running and the feedback is almost relentlessly positive.

Premier Icon superdan

I like mine. I’ve ridden it round the mtb trails at Whinlatter, and podiumed at a local Crit race on it (swapped tyres, obvs). It would be hard for me as a mountainbiker to justify a “proper” road bike, given the Tempest seems to work so well for everything up in the Lakes.

With a bit of care, you can run all of the cables for the back of the bike through the internal routing port for the brake line. Way more aero that way, or at least that’s what I’ve convinced myself.

*should read “selcof bars and all”

Premier Icon igm

I’ve had one for 18 months that came with an Ultegra / Ultegra RX (is that GRX?) 2×11 mix.

Panniers and mudguards fitted and two sets of wheels – one with 32mm GP5000 TL for commuting and one with 40mm WTB Nanos for playing. Both fit inside the mudguards.

Nothing bad to say about it.

Did change from a 100mm -6 stem to a 90mm +6 when it started getting more off-road use.

PS – do have the carbon seatpost. It’s lighter and more comfortable.

Premier Icon intheborders
    Free Member

I went for a Free Ranger instead, same concept & price etc but carbon.

Came with the Selcof flared bars, but, they’re not as flared as the On One Brian’s I was using on my old bike – so will be replaced.

Premier Icon Mowgli
    Free Member

Enjoying mine too. Got some very light Ali Express wheels recently for tarmac over the summer. Also have a 700c dynamo set with slick gravel kings for touring, and a 27.5×2.1 mtb set for off road. Very versatile bike!

I’ve put Red cranks and a carbon post on to save a fair bit of weight. I won’t buy Rival again – the shifters, particularly the front, are very heavy action and quite hard to use with cold hands at the end of a long ride. It’s not bad enough to warrant an upgrade just yet, but I’ll get 105/GRX when the time comes.

Premier Icon zepnat
    Free Member

Thanks everyone, have also read the other threads, sounds like everyone likes there’s. will have to call or message Planet X to see what can be done, don’t fancy flared bars, and make sure of a carbon post.

Premier Icon Mowgli
    Free Member

Personally I’d just buy it stock and change the bits yourself. I had a bit of a nightmare trying to get PX to make changes to the standard spec. Their bikes are good, but customer service pretty poor unfortunately. I guess that’s why they’re cheap.

Premier Icon zepnat
    Free Member

Yes read about that, as you say bars and stem are cheap enough and easy enough to swap over.

Premier Icon freddiest

Any recommendations for a carbon seatpost?

Premier Icon holdsteady

If you aren’t in a rush I’d look at getting the Sonder Camino Ti instead, yes it’s a few hundred dearer (or much cheaper than a Tempest if you have a “cycle to work” scheme as Planet X don’t take them) but the Sonder Camino gets a 10 year guarantee whilst Planet X only offer 2 years, and fixing Ti frames is not cheap.

Premier Icon SOAP
    Free Member

Mine gets built on Monday 🙂 I went for the Force version.
    Got some 43mm gravelkings and a deda carbon seatpost to swap out.
    Actually looking forward to garvelbashing the local xc tracks.

Premier Icon MrSparkle
    Free Member

I like mine. A lot.

Hmmmm. Ali express wheels? Tell me more @mowgli…..

Premier Icon Mowgli
    Free Member

@BlobOnAStick thread here

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.