Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Planet X RT90 vs Viner Mitus – spot the difference??
  • dantsw13

I can’t see any, apart from £100 in the price tag! The Geo is identical, the frame shape and weights are too. Since PX bought Viner recently, I guess they thought they would just rebadge a design they own!

nemesis
    Free Member

Or it’s an open mould carbon frame that loads of company sell as their own.

Bianchi Zolder

Fuji Altamira CX Disc

My CX bike, frame direct from China

Same frame

lunge

See also PX Pro Carbon and Viner Gladium I think.

Rorschach
    Free Member

De Rosa R838

Ribble Stealth

See also Ritte Bosberg V1/Pedal Force CG1/Deng Fu ??

Onzadog
    Free Member

This is a fun game. Can someone do it with a disc/bolt through road frame please?

nemesis
    Free Member

The ‘Ridley’ TT bike Cadel Evans used in the TdF a couple of years.

The direct from China frame that Ridley, Ciocc and various others were selling as their own

hora
    Free Member

Someone will be along shortly to tell you that its not true, someone is copying something and that the ‘copy’ isn’t the same factory at all but bogroll that has been touched up with black permanent marker in someones Chinese shed. 🙄 😆

nemesis
    Free Member

To be fair, I reckon that does/can happen Hora – just because it uses the same mould, doesn’t mean the quality is the same. You need to buy from one of the companies with a good reputation if you don’t want to take that risk. Don’t ever buy the fakes – eg frames direct from China but sold as a Specialized, Pinarello or whatever, go with the ones that are happy to trade on their own name (Carbonzone, Deng Fu, Hong Fu, Miracle, Ican to name a few of the good ones).

Onzadog
    Free Member

Yes, we all known that actual carbon grade might be different or there might not be the same level of qc. Or perhaps there might and we can pick up a bargain.

gary

Looks suspiciously like an FM006 (this one from HongFu, for substantially less than PX/Viner, possible layup differences notwithstanding)

[/url]

hora
    Free Member

nemesis agree but if its the same factory, mould and same staff I doubt (in this instance) they’d suddenly change the way they lay (they’ll be used to doing it fast and efficiently, almost mechanically wont they.

nemesis
    Free Member

Probably so but it’s not so straightforward to find out exactly which factory is doing which brands right now as understandably people are a little cagey about that… Not to mention that the bigger brands don’t use open moulds anyway.

dantsw13

Good game this!!

With the P-X/ Viner one, I was surprised, as P-X wanted Viner to be their premium Race brand, that they would re-badge one of them as P-X! The descriptions are identical too – same grades of carbon, and identical frame weights!

nemesis
    Free Member

Dirty Disco

Ican

EDIT – the Ican isn’t the right one but they do do (or at least did) one! can’t find it now…

dantsw13

I’ve just read a BikeRadar review of the P-X RT-90 which states that the frameset is indeed made by Viner, and a rebadged Mitus frame.

edhornby

and just to close the loop – Cadel’s TT ridley bike is sold by PX as the Stealth

ribble (aka de rosa) are Dedacciai

dantsw13

That’s interesting. I’ve been lusting after a few De Rosas, but find Ribble a bit “meh”. Just shows the power of branding & marketing.

hatter

and just to close the loop – Cadel’s TT ridley bike is sold by PX as the Stealth

It was never really a Ridley. they didn’t make a TT bike at the time and needed something sharpish for the Lotto team so they got a decent Chinese open mould TT framesets and had them badged up. I don’t think they were ever sold to the public as Ridleys.(Feel free to correct me if I’m wrong)

Now they have their own design TT bike range called Dean, none of which look anything like the bike Cadel rode back then.

sq225917
    Free Member

It’s a minefield isn’t it boys?

There’s open mould bikes from shit QC OEM houses.
    Open mould bikes from good QC OEM houses.
    Open mould bikes from OEMs who have on- site QC from a brand’s representatives.
    Open mould bikes made to modified spec for one brand only.
    Territory limited moulds where you’ve shouldered part of the dev cost and get a region exclusive.
    Closed mould bikes with all of the above options.

Old open moulds tend to get passed around, literally. A company might use them for a few years, then redo the mould and sell the old ones off to another OEM. These are your ‘no brand’ eBay bikes. When you see the same frame shape from loads of different sources on all the auction sites – steer clear!

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Planet X RT90 vs Viner Mitus – spot the difference??’ is closed to new replies.