Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Planet X road bike headset question.
  • Bazz

Yes it’s a question about a crown race but please allow me to elaborate 😁 So i recently built up a new Planet X Pro carbon road bike with a the own brand Selcof headset, and for the life of me i could not get (or see how it would) install the crown race on to the fork, despite the crown race having a split. However the bottom bearing does fit snuggly onto the fork crown and i continued the installation without the crown race and it adjusted and appears to work just fine without said crown race, now whilst this may seem a little rash i’m sure i read somewhere that many modern road bikes don’t actually need the crown race, trouble is i can’t remember where i read it and can’t seem to re-locate the article (don’t you hate it when that happens!)

Anyway, i fired off a question to PX along the lines of “Do i need this crown race?” to which someone replied “yes you do”, so obviously i re-visited it and made another attempt to install it, no way is it going on, not that i can see and i have installed a few in my time.

So long way of asking, anyone else have experience in this area? anyone have the same bike that they want to drop the fork out and check?😮

Bazz

Just in case!

damascus
    Free Member

Some carbon forks do have a crown race shape at the bottom so when you install a crown race it leaves a gap as the crown race doesn’t fit flush on the bottom like a mtb fork would.

When Trace Velo built his bike people commented that you don’t need one so he removed it to try. See 11m40s on this video where he inspects them after a period of riding.

Find the original build video for more details.

Not saying its right, just that others haven’t used one.

The fork failed for a different reason by the way 🤣

Hope this video helps

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Bazz

Thanks, that looks a lot like whats going on with my fork crown.

damascus
    Free Member

Anyway, i fired off a question to PX along the lines of “Do i need this crown race?” to which someone replied “yes you do”

Has anyone got a new build from px recently and regreased the headset and checked how they are building them in px hq?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Planet X road bike headset question.’ is closed to new replies.