Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Planet X Model B road wheelset
  • uplink
    Free Member

Are these decent budget wheels?

I don’t really want to spend more than that but is there anything else worth looking at?

kevin1911

Yep, they’re very good for the money in my opinion. I got a superlight road bike from them that came with the model b’s. They’ve been strong, true, reliable and are actually pretty light. In fact, I’m sure they’re actually a rebadged version of a really expensive brand name wheelset.

brant
    Free Member

I named those. “You can’t call them that!” “Why not?”

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mieszko
    Free Member

I would check Pro-Lite wheels. For similar money You would get Pro Lite Luciano, very good wheels, reasonably light as well. Bladed spokes that are not straight pull like some Mavic or Shimano so any spares are actually easy to get. Ribble have them on sale at the moment. Trouble free wheels, nice and stiff.

It’s a bit of a shameless plug but I`m selling mine 🙂 Around 1 years use, 1760g + a bit for QR’s. Still in good condition. £75 posted

Jason
    Free Member

I have a set on the bike I bought from Planet-X. I have been very impressed with them. They have survived a battering over rough roads and have stayed totally true. The bearings have lasted well. For the money I don’t think you can go wrong.

cbrsyd
    Free Member

I have a set on the bike I bought from Planet-X. I have been very impressed with them. They have survived a battering over rough roads and have stayed totally true. The bearings have lasted well. For the money I don’t think you can go wrong.

+1

Got a set for about a year ago. Used them for commuting over some pretty rough roads and still run true and spin really sooth and I’m no lightweight.

mogrim

What are other cheapish options? I’m looking at the Mavic Aksiums, what else is there at that price point?

ianpv
    Free Member

I was very pleased with mine ’til the spokes pulled out of the rim after about 3000 miles maximum.

To be fair, planet X were brilliant, sent me a new PAIR, and didn’t even ask for pictures – apparently they had a batch that did this. Great customer service.

Also, the freehub is soft and you may need judicious application of a universal adjuster to remove cassettes – bit of a pain as I use a 12-27 for really long hilly rides and 11-23 the rest of the time. The splines are a mess after a couple of changes.

But, they’re light, cheap, and seem to hold their speed as well as the ksyrium SLs (I had nice wheels pre-children). Not quite as stiff but I’ve got no discernable sprint so who cares.

mogrim

Cheers, I’ll have a look at them too.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Shimano R-550, IIRC they’re the lightest of the ~£120 wheelsets and shimano generaly have heavier hubs so logicaly they must be lighter rims.

cp

Great wheels. They’re my race wheels, with shimano rs-10’s being my training wheels, though since a spoke snapped on those & I’ve not got round to fixing it, my model b has gone on the back for training. The shimanos are a little stiffer but so they should be for over 2kg.

The model b’s appear to be very tough & strong. The pair without skewers comes in at 1650g (my measured weight) which is way better than anything else close on price, and even some stuff quite a bit more expensive.

jimc101
    Free Member

Nice to look at, but with a freehub made of cheese, over the last few years have put in a lot of miles with bugdet rims communting.

Between the Model B (freehub gouging, bent rims), Shimano RS10’s (breaking spokes) and Fulcrum 7’s, would go for the Fulcrum 7’s, as have found these to last the longest, only a car vs bike managed to damage the rear.

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

I have a pair for training, they are superb value for money.

Only alternative I can suggest areThese, however I suspect they are the same rebranded.

TatWink
    Free Member

Great wheels! Have them on my Uncle John and have done numerous 50 mile rides, general commuting and they even came through the Three Peaks unscathed and I’m a fifteen stone gear masher….

Still run true and fast, can’t rate them highly enough!!!!

bazzer
    Free Member

So would a £250 set of wheels be much better than the model B wheels or are they that good ?

trickydisco
    Free Member

I’ve put over 2300 miles on mine. This was cycling London > barcelona last year as well

Been fine

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

So would a £250 set of wheels be much better than the model B wheels or are they that good ?

You wont get much performance gain at that price, spend the difference on good contact points etc.

uplink
    Free Member

Thanks all – I’ll get some ordered I think

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Planet X Model B road wheelset’ is closed to new replies.