Viewing 38 posts - 41 through 78 (of 78 total)
  • Planet X London Road
  • HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

I’ve certainly noticed water getting into mine. It just stops the cable working so smoothly, so its a gradual worsening of rear braking performance.

It’s made slightly worse by the fact that there’s a loop of cable under the BB where the water can collect.

It’s not something that’s unique to the London Road though, lots of CX bikes have the cables routed in this way.

I think i prefered the routing on my old (aluminium) Tripster, which had cable stops above the BB and didn’t use full outers. Water can still get in, but gets out easy too, so they don’t rust as much.

thorpie
    Free Member

Damn, tried to change to the Hydros but they have already started building mine and I’m too late! Ah well, £200 saved. New wheels?

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

Here’s mine:

[url=https://flic.kr/p/sEs19v]image[/url] by Shortbread, on Flickr

Build:

Wheels are an old de-stickered FSA 29er MTB wheelset (front) and the rear rim of the same wheelset I rebuilt onto a superstar ultra hub.

Specialized Captain CX front tyre, Vittoria XG rear. Both set up tubeless.

XT rear mech, Hope narrow wide ring (40t), 11-34 XT cassete. Good enough range of gearing for local riding. 9 speed tiagra STI’s.

TRP Spyre cable disc brakes.

Planet X saddle and post. FSA stem and bard from old bike.

First ride last night was great. Did a mix of paths and tarmac and it coped well. Nice and light and felt quick as a result. Cornered and tracked really well – much better than my old KHS CX bike. Stiffer wheels probably helped in this regard but it was great putting it into a corner and it confidently going where I pointed it.

The 1x set up worked well – chain hardly moved, and it was nice and quiet, no discernible slap off the chainstay.

Will probably replace the cranks with a black version for and look for a medium cage rear mech but aside from that I’m dead chuffed with it. 🙂

cynic-al
    Free Member

On a London Road the caliper is on the chainstay so the cable exit is pointing upwards… allowing crap and water in. I’d avoid mechanical discs and go hydraulic.

Loads of biks have this. Rarely an issue IME (of using, selling and maintaining them)

Neither is “continual” adjustment of BB7s – mine raraleyt need adjustment and when they do it takes seconds.

breadcrumb

I am tempted by one of these.

Is it a decent all rounder? Okay for long-ish rides and fire road blasts?

My current road bike is a Langster but I’m feeling the draw to something I can get some hilly miles under my belt.

johnmcl7
    Free Member

I see the silver frameset is down to £150 and wondering if a Shimano hydraulic build is feasible? I’ve been pricing up RS785 shifters/brakes, 105 derailleurs, crankset, cassette and Shimano RX31 wheels which with finishing kit looks to come to around £1,000 which I’m thinking would make for a fairly quick, durable bike.

morph027
    Free Member

Just finished mine as commuter…

Alfine 11 with Versa STI …

img_8100.jpg

img_8101.jpg

img_8103.jpg

Mudguards will arrive soon by mail. First ride was lovely so far (coming from years of mountainbiking 😉 )

morph027
    Free Member

Now with 28c tyres and mud guards….commuting never was so fast 😉

img_8111-original.jpg

adsbatts89
    Free Member

Morph027 – This looks great! What front light set up have you got?

shermer75
    Free Member
    SandyThePig
    Free Member

I ordered a London Road (the one with hydraulics and a single front chainring). Mainly for commuting.

Build date is Monday, using Yodel for delivery … Wonder if I’ll ever get it?

twojumpers

You might do if you’re in, mine was left outside the house until my neighbour found it and took it in a few hours later!

morph027
    Free Member

@adsbatts89: Thank you. Yeah, @shermer75 is right, B+M Cyo T …

I’m using the LR every day since it was built and love it 😉 Ok, Ice and Snow are a bit sketchy, but if things get too wild, i’ll just grab one of my MTBs.

Bigmantrials

This is my London Road, still enjoy riding it, its currently fitted with 40c WTB Nano tyres, 1×9 drivetrain with a 40t Rotor QCX chainring, only thing I am looking to change at the moment is to some Ritchey EvoMax Comp flared drop handlebars in 46cm width.

Leigh2612
    Free Member

Has anybody ridden one of these and the mango AR to compare?

jeffl

Didn’t Brant design the Mango as well? From memory the London Road was the last bike he designed for Planet-X/On-One.

If so he may be able to advise.

brant
    Free Member

If so he may be able to advise

Though perhaps not terribly impartially!

rien16
    Free Member

Does anybody know if 43mm Bruce Gordon Rock ‘n Road tyres or 42mm Soma Cazadero tires fit on a London Road?
    I know it says “fits tires up to 40mm width”, but just want to know if somebody already tried this

Saccades
    Free Member

Rorschach – Member
    I was thinking of combining my nice bike,winter bike and cx bike into one and was looking at this. Mud room with a 35c tyre in it?

rien16 – Member
    Does anybody know if 43mm Bruce Gordon Rock ‘n Road tyres or 42mm Soma Cazadero tires fit on a London Road?
    I know it says “fits tires up to 40mm width”, but just want to know if somebody already tried this

brant – Member
    Designed to clear Bruce Gordon Rock N Road 44’s with min 6mm clearance.

The designer says so.

sleigh62
    Free Member

Here’s mine … love it. The wheels are a bit over the top for ridgeway type duties and commuting … but they were an offer I couldn’t resist. I also changed the bars … genetic digest … spend way more time on the drops now.

skankingbiker
    Free Member

I am very much considering this frame for a gravel cx build what with the sales and all. Are people still having seatpost sizing and headset issues?–or was that just with some older batches.

shermer75
    Free Member

Sleigh62 that looks gert nice 🙂

maximus28
    Free Member

And here’s mine. 9.5kg and rides great.

It’s got a random Campag 10sp / Ultegra Short Cage 9sp / XT 11-32 drive train, but I’ve tweaked it to work nicely.

Also fixed the slightly loose seat tube with the old coke can shim trick.

cp

That’s quite nice. I like the green.

codybrennan
    Free Member

Here’s the one I’ve just built for my daughter. She’s quite pleased with it. Its sitting on 28mm road tyres here, but I’m going to put on a set of CX tyres for a pedal she’s doing tonight.

Could be lighter…..I think the full carbon fork would have helped, and I’ve swapped the stock Gipiemme wheels for some slightly lighter Giant ones I had knocking about.

Nice bike I think.

mattbee

Looks nice in black with the little bit of colour on the bars.

codybrennan
    Free Member

It does. She wanted that as the bottle cage had a wee purple accent 🙂

shermer75
    Free Member

Also fixed the slightly loose seat tube with the old coke can shim trick.

Good to see that they’re percivereing with this little design feature 🙂

codybrennan
    Free Member

The seat post on my build seems to be a firm fit, no shim needed.

richardthird

Heads up, spare mech hangers for these are £2 at the mo – been a ridiculous £20 for ages and ages.

Bigmantrials

When I tried to order a spare mech hanger from P-X for mine, they sent the wrong one TWICE! eventually got one from Superstar Components for £8, had to buy 2 from there now!

duckman

Bigmantrials – Member

When I tried to order a spare mech hanger from P-X for mine, they sent the wrong one TWICE! eventually got one from Superstar Components for £8, had to buy 2 from there now!

Ha! Mirrors my experience with trying to get one for a dirty disco.

codybrennan
    Free Member

richardthird – Member
    Heads up, spare mech hangers for these are £2 at the mo – been a ridiculous £20 for ages and ages.

Excellent PSA, thanks

danoodog
    Free Member

Can anyone advise on frame sizing I’m 5’8 can’t decide if I’ll need a small or a medium ?

danoodog
    Free Member

Anyone?

amaferanga
    Free Member

I’m the same height as you, ‘normal’ proportions and have a small London Rd. Medium for me would have meant a silly short stem.

alanl
    Free Member

5’7″ here, and I have a medium with a 80mm stem, fits me fine.

danoodog
    Free Member

Thanks guys gonna go for a medium with 70mm stem

Viewing 38 posts - 41 through 78 (of 78 total)

The topic ‘Planet X London Road’ is closed to new replies.