Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Planet X frustration
  • blokeuptheroad

Not a rant, not yet anyway. I’ve not used them before, so I don’t know if this is normal?

On Saturday I bought (or so I thought) an On One Scandal frame in a flash sale on their website. Slight cosmetic damage £125, £140 with next day delivery. Bargain! They debited my account, sent me a confirmation email with an order number and told me a tracking number would be sent shortly. Cue much excitement and credit card action to buy shiny bits to bolt on to it.

No tracking number was sent and in an exchange on the Scandal thread, I discovered the particular frame I had purchased (they were numbered) had also been purchased by akira of this parish. I believe it arrived with him on Monday, as did others purchased in the same flash sale.

No comms from them to let me know the status of my order and a couple of messages to them to ask have (so far) been ignored. I am prepared to cut them a bit of slack. Mistakes happen, it was a bargain, people off sick/WFH etc mean businesses aren’t running as smoothly as in plague free times.

However, they have my money, someone else has the frame I paid for, I have a pile of expensive bits with no frame to put them on. What are the chances they will:

a) let me know what’s happening?

b) send me another frame?

zilog6128

a) slim

b) none

akira

Yeah frame arrived with me on Monday, I had the same issue with on one years ago when buying another frame, they couldn’t tell me whether they had one or not and after a week it took a Brant interference to actually get my frame. Hopefully Blokeuptheroad gets sorted with a goodwill gesture.

danti

Have you tried using their Live Chat?

I’ve found they’re responsive through that.

blokeuptheroad

Have you tried using their Live Chat?

I’ve found they’re responsive through that.

The only means of contacting them I can see on their website is a web form accessed via the “contact us” link. Is that what you mean? Tried that twice, no answer. I also replied to the order acknowledgment email.

misteralz
    Free Member

I quite like my Scandal, so I was hoping this was going to be a new steel 29er hardtail from them.

I feel your pain, though. Tried to return something a while back and gave up. It’ll sit in my shed until it’s useful, and I won’t use Planet X again…

akira

The steel 29er hardtail is the big dog.

Superficial
    Free Member

To initiate live chat, you have to say HIS name three times on this forum. Like this:

Brant Brant Brant

zilog6128

@Superficial, don’t think he ever said but I assumed he’s no longer working for them as his absence has been pretty noticeable on the PX complaint threads lately!

martinhutch

To initiate live chat, you have to say HIS name three times on this forum.

That’s live chant, not live chat.

akira

Unfortunately for sorting out issues Brant is no longer a help. He’s now all trousers and no bike.

epicsteve
    Free Member

Oddly enough I was just thinking that in recent times I’ve found Planet-X better than Wiggle (as the latter have switched to using Hermes and I think I’ve yet to have a delivery actually happen on the delivery slot that’s been communicated, although occasionally it has been the same week).

chakaping
    Free Member

If they are not responding via their own suggested channels, leave comments on their FB promos politely asking them to speak.

tomd
    Free Member

Not a rant, not yet anyway. I’ve not used them before, so I don’t know if this is normal?

You’ve done the bike retail equivalent of ordering a new driveway for a bargain price off a bloke that told you he had some spare tarmac left over from a job, but it was going quick and the offer wouldn’t hang around only to wonder if it was normal that he didn’t come back after you paid a deposit.

blokeuptheroad

Had a response. The frame was “oversold” 😆 They don’t have any more. They will “investigate” but likelihood is they will refund me. Hey ho, you live and learn.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

I thought I bought the final pair of TT overshoes showing in stock. The other few bits showed up, but the overshoes were seperated from the order and had the address changed to North Wales (where I sent some bits for Xmas for family) without any comms. Now I’ve been told the overshoes are discontinued, after I asked to be notified of new stock.

So still no official comms regarding order and they’ve overcharged me for the bits that did arrive.

We’re hardly talking megabucks, but annoying, I needed those overshoes to get some KOMs!

spev

What size did you order? I have an unused scandal in medium that I’ve changed plans for, if your interested email me on spev11 at gmail.com or leave a message here and I’ll try and remember to check back

ginsterdrz
    Free Member

1. Sounds like someone has forgotten to correctly set stock level on the ad. Easily done.

2. Behind the scenes bike retail is ABSOLUTELY crazy at the moment, beyond anything anyone has ever experienced before. There are currently not enough hours in the day to deal with and dispatch orders in manner most of us have become accustomed to. Couriers are struggling with sheer bulk of parcels.

3. Deliveries to retailers and distributors are slow and often delayed.

Just an insight.

We are not in normal times peeps!

matt_outandabout

You forgot 4. One One are pretty crap at the best of times.

blokeuptheroad

@spev I ordered a medium, email sent 👍

@ginsterdrz
    I suspected as much in the current situation. I’m mildly peeved at the inconvenience but I’m not berating Planet X. Mistakes happen.

akira

Hopefully you’re sorted out, frame sitting in corner of living room makes me feel slightly guilty.

blokeuptheroad

Hopefully you’re sorted out, frame sitting in corner of living room makes me feel slightly guilty.

Hey, you’ve absolutely nothing to feel guilty for! Planet X’s cock-up not yours. Good luck with your build, hope to see some pics on the Scandal thread 👍🙂

wzzzz
    Free Member

Can’t believe they don’t just send you another one….! There was profit in them at £150 so thee must be something at the price you paid and they messed up.

They must have stock for the builds! Unless that note on the build page about building in July really means theres some on a boat and they don’t actually have stock.

blokeuptheroad

@WZZZZ in their message yesterday they say they are waiting for stock and will probably have to refund me but will investigate and get back to me. I’m hoping they pull one from a scheduled full build, but if they don’t I at least have a fall back plan thanks to spev. I know you also very kindly said you would consider selling me your large frame, I think a medium will suit me better but thanks anyway👍

akira

I’ll post pics up, sweating the build currently, some bargain fox 34s on wiggle or wait for German shop to get sub £400 Revs back in. Going for cheap build so mavic xa or dt Swiss m 1900 then donor parts of another bike.

snotrag

@akira if your looking towards a lighter end build, a bunch of us are using these – https://www.alltricks.com/F-11918-fourches/P-405824-rockshox_reba_rl_solo_air_29_____boost_15x110mm_offset_51___black_2019 which are great value and usefully lighter than most other forks available at that price. Delivery was pretty quick too.

Mavix XA on mine too.

akira

Hmmm not sure whether I want a lighter build or something a bit chunkier, fox 34 rhythm are £299 at wiggle for 120mm but cheap and easy to extend. Those Reba’s could be good though, anyone got any pics.

Cheeky-Monkey
    Free Member

I rejected the delivery of my “bargain” scandal because the HT had punched through a thin looking cardboard box and I could immediately see some damage. Whether it was enough to have ovalised the HT I don’t know but, honestly, I CBA to deal with it if it is and if as an outfit they can’t sort decent delivery I’m not interested.

It’s a risk with them and I’ve already experienced their “variable” build quality (Fireline, baggy seatpost) and “unique” approach to customer service. In fairness they sorted it but only after I’d done the running around. Such stories are plentiful, I think, but then so too are lots of posts regarding happy folks with bargain frames. I’m not a hater, still have at least two of their frames (v2 Scandal and the Fireline) and have had plenty previously, since an original Inbred swapped for some booze and cash with Brant. But they’re a lottery, in terms of historical CS and in terms of QA / QC of their products IMO.

In fairness to them they responded very quickly via Live Chat and I was refunded in full (including delivery) within the period they stated for the rejected Scandal.

wzzzz
    Free Member

Theres a medium gone up in the classifieds on here, paint damage but they all have after 30 seconds of riding apparently.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

The paint on mine actually doesnt seem too bad. I covered up the stays etc but in 150 miles the only chips are one under the seatstay and one under the BB.

It looks/feels powdery but seems a bit more robust than it looks.

Also it went shiny after a wash. Probably all the cheap silicones in the car shampoo, might wipe it with muck off to get the matt back.

TBH though it’s a “hardcore hardtail”, if Ive not reduced the frame to a battered mess before the end of its life then it will have been wasted 🤣

cogwomble
    Free Member

Unrelated to your woes but I’ve recently complained about some god awful sealant that I obviously couldn’t return as I’d used it, at a tenner I wasn’t too bothered tbh, really it was just to let them know they might have a bad batch, or if not the product is dog eggs.

They gave me a credit note, then five days later refunded the entire order of over £40. I’ve since contacted them to let them know as if it’s anything other than a good will gesture I’d like to sort it out with them.

Nothing yet..

So far I’m potentially £50 up, but if it IS an admin error I’d rather be honest about it.

If it’s a goodwill gesture then I’ll probably buy some more bits via them.

blokeuptheroad

As a update, they mailed to say it was sold twice which sometimes happens, they don’t have another frame to give me and they will refund me though that may take up to 7 days. They did apologise both for the mix up and taking so long to resolve it. Fair enough. As it happens, I have been offered an unused Scandal frame at a fair price by a forum user that is hopefully winging it’s way to me. All’s well that ends well. It wouldn’t completely put me off using them again, but I’d be a bit wary to say the least!

damascus
    Free Member

Before you decide if you would use them again or not ride the scandal.

For £150 for a decent frame I’m prepared to allow them some slack. After all they need to find ways to keep the prices down, unfortunately that means poor quality control and customer service. However, my scandal is great

blokeuptheroad

Good news, I now have a Scandal frame thanks to Spev 🙂👍

Bad news, 2 weeks (and counting) and despite promises the shysters at Planet X have still not refunded me for the non existent frame. It took 2 seconds for the money to go from my account to their’s, how can they not return it within 2 weeks?

Any ideas on how to escalate this? Their clunky online enquiry form is the only way to contact them and it is as much use as a chocolate fire guard.

captmorgan
    Free Member

Contact via online form with all the details, give three working days to process the refund as agreed or you will instigate charge back via the card issuers.

Contact via fb/twitter bring the same to their attention.

Wait till Thursday and if you have no refund or contact from on-one contact the card issuer and start the chargeback process.

blokeuptheroad

Thanks, will try that

Tiger6791

Planet X still owe me £100 from about 6 years ago when I bought some ‘bargain’ wheels that never arrived.

I just gave up in the end

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Planet X frustration’ is closed to new replies.