Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • planet x carbon road bike anyone got or had one
  • midwales
    Free Member

i am just about to push the buy button on a new planet x carbon sl road bike. anyone on here had or got one? what do you think?

paul_m

Mine's coming Monday hopefully…..Will let you know when I get it

scaredypants

I've got one – I'm no major connoisseur though

seems fine though does flex a little bit at BB (it's a large). No idea whether this is more or less than other brands

oldgit
    Free Member

Yeah fine little bike been good for riding, sportives, reliability trials and I've been racing it this year.
    Probably top end technology from a few years back.

headfirst
    Free Member

Get the ribble sportive racing instead! I did! It's great to ride! And much sexier looking too! Yeah! Exclamtion marks!

ThurmanMerman
    Free Member

Great value, light, fast bikes. But IMHO the sizing's a bit odd (maybe only in the larger sizes). The top-tubes are a bit longer than 'normal'.

Buzzard
    Free Member

Ive had mine for a couple of months. I'm 6ft and weigh 87kg and have a Large. Some things to note

-ve

1. Top tubes are long but inline post negates that issue for me.
    2. I get a irritating clicking noise from the BB under load – don't notice the flex particularly but I'm guessing thats what it is. Still to do a full investigation.
    3. Ive been dissapointed with the Rival groupset. Shifting feels cheap and not assured like the Ultegra/105 (this miht not be an issue)

+ve

1. For the money I'm very happy with my purchase.
    2. Impressively Light
    3. The stock wheels have performed impressivley. I always thought I would get a new set almost immediately but I'm not sure I need to now.

Hope this helps

Smuzzy
    Free Member

Had mine for 3 years and its been faultless

barrykellett
    Free Member

Buzzard – I am suffering the very same clicking noise on mine.

Perhaps a generous lathering of grease on the threads may sort it? I have just fitted a new BB as the old one was properly dead, and new pedals which were also done. So I was very disappointed and aghast when the clicking remained. I had thought maybe it was chain ring bolts but I am going to grease the lot up tonight like grounds keeper willy and see what happens.

The headset clicks a lot too unless over greased IMO

wwaswas

my superlight clicks where the gear cables go in to the downtube stops – I found it by chance but holding the cables against the tube with one hand stops it so it's easy to diagnose.

oldgit
    Free Member

No clicks or owt here 😆

oldgit
    Free Member

With training wheels & tyres, soon to be running Tubeless

MrCrushrider
    Free Member

seems like the 'the bike' to have around the cafes in the peaks at the minute. every sat or sunday the hope valley seems to be full of 'em, all the riders sporting thier matching planet x jerseys.

cant be too bad!

speaker2animals

I like mine. Hadn't thought of measuring top tube length. I do have the saddle far forward in the stock layback post (which I have never had to do before) and changed the 100mm stem to an 80mm. Mine is a medium and I am 5'11" with a 30" inside leg. I must admit that I would still like it to be 10mm shorter as I do feel stretched when on the hoods.

As mentioned, when I climb out of the saddle I do get a click/knock that seems to eminate at the BB area. I am 100kg so not too surprised. Bars/stem also creak when honking, though I think a rebuild with carbon assembly paste will sort that out.

A good light bike and well worth the money. I've read that the newer Nanolight isn't quite as good. Maybe too light for the low cost production?

I would recommend to anyone.

Mine has Reynolds wheels which are ok and for so few spokes don't seem too flexy considering my my weight. I have had 2 rear spokes fail (hardly surprising considering the ondition of the roads), but what I do find weird is that they have both broken at the threaded part as it enters the nipple. In my 20plus years of adult cycling I have only had spokes fail at the bend by the hub flange. When and if I get a job I intend to get some hand made, 32 spoke wheels built for it and keep the Reymolds as spares.

oldgit
    Free Member

I went for a slightly smaller frame so I could use a longer stem.
    The noise can only be from components surely. Mines silly silent, all I get is that carbon rumble.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

6'2"

Would I be better off with a large or x-large?

oldgit
    Free Member

Can't help you there. You need to do some homework. Do you know anyone with a Giant TCR as they're quite similar. Going too big is the worst IMO, but I like to overpower my frames.

MadBillMcMad

David,

I am 6'1" and have the Large and the fit for me is fine.

+1 for the bike itself & no issues in 18 months

fbk
    Free Member

Got one last year during their Ultegra promo. I don't get out on it that much and it's stuck to a turbo trainer at the mo due to injury but I've only been impressed with it. Fast, responsive & suprisingly forgiving ride.

Shack
    Free Member

Just about to buy one but am in a real sizing quandry. I'm a perfect fit for the medium, 5' 10", 32" inside leg. However I've suffered terribly with back problems over the years and previous road bike a few years back used to kill my back after anything more than an hour. Web site and speaking to them reccomends going for the next size up as headtube much higher, but top tube longer and will need shorter stem. Currently riding 18" scandal & inbred, top tubes long on both of them, longer than a large pro Carbon so hoping I'm going to be able to get bars high enough to stop my back killing but not stretch myself too far out. Anyone else gone down this road?

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Had mine for a couple of years now. Been faultless. Looks wise, it's a little dated compared to curvy bikes that seem to be the in thing at the moment, but can't be beaten for the money

midwales
    Free Member

placed an order for a xl with a couple of upgrades. just got to wait for it to be delivered now. thanks for the help.

oldgit
    Free Member

shack I'm 5'8" 32" inside leg and ride a small, as you can see there's a fair bit of post. I also run a stem that's nearer 120mm.
    Now without telling you exactly what to do I'd go medium. In theory that'll put you on a 100/110 stem which puts you over the wheel for climbs and sprints. I have no reason for thinking this, but short stems on road bikes does seem wrong.
    Two things I'd recommend is having your hoods high up so you don't stretch over the tops to reach them. You can also hunker down on them like tri bars when you want to
    press on. And wing/flat top bars for just resting on, they are so comfortable when your on your chinstraps.
    Just opinions,I'm no expert just going on what I know works.

seanoc
    Free Member

I'm no rode bike expert (I actually doubt I'm an expert in anything, which is midely depressing), but I bought a Trek 1.9 full Ultegra build a couple of years ago on a ride to work scheme which I thought was fine…….My Planet X, Ultegra again (as I know it's good for at least 5K before I need to start changing things out), and it knocks socks off the trek. I'd say that there's slightly more flex in the BB area but it's loads more comfortable on my 60k round journey commute.

I thought the sizes came up slightly small; I was advised against getting a Large but it's definitely the size for me as I've got a fecked back. I initially recieved a medium but had to send it back; 5'10'' with a 33''inside leg.

scaredypants

If I had a bad back I'd get a shorter frame and some headset spacers – or is that bollocks ?

AlexBerry
    Free Member

i've had a bad back for years and just recovered from a prolapsed disc, and absolutely the BEST thing I've ever done is get properly measured and my new bike fitted. I used Racescene in Barnsley and they were great despite scepticism at changing my old (and as i've realised CRAP) riding position. Couldnt afford full carbon but very happy with the Cassati Vinci + Veloce…

whosthedaddy
    Free Member

Smuzzy, thats a cool looking bike dude 😉

Joxster
    Free Member

They are ok in a straight line, climbing, descending and cornering at speed can be sketchy and they whip a bit when doing a seated acceleration. But for a plastic bike the are alright VFM.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘planet x carbon road bike anyone got or had one’ is closed to new replies.