Planet X bikes – cheap Chinese tat or decent frames

Home Forum Bike Forum Planet X bikes – cheap Chinese tat or decent frames

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 83 total)
  • Planet X bikes – cheap Chinese tat or decent frames
  • atlaz

Brant are you Michael Stipe?

I’m not sure he is but given that shine off his head, I think that’s him in the spotlight

_tom_

What are peoples thoughts on the PX Ti “pro” road frames? I’m quite tempted to buy one in a couple of months time as I’ve always wanted a nice ti road bike and didn’t realise PX did them for an almost reasonable price.

Premier Icon chakaping
    Subscriber

Nice to see a bit of UHF in the morning Jamie.

🙂

mt

“oldnpastit – Member

Better we design and develop things and leave the manufacturing to others.

Fortunately for us, the Chinese have zero interest in designing things and are quite happy to leave that to us clever Westerners, and stick with doing the lower-value grunt work…..”

For now but…..

jackthedog

Better we design and develop things and leave the manufacturing to others.

Fortunately for us, the Chinese have zero interest in designing things and are quite happy to leave that to us clever Westerners, and stick with doing the lower-value grunt work.

For now but…

Indeed. There’s been much talk about this in the design community, across all the disciplines. The Chinese have been investing a great deal in design education over the past few years. It’s not yet time from them to cash in on that investment, but in the not so distant future it’s not unrealistic to assume there will be more design graduates coming out of China than from the rest of the world combined.

dragon

On-one / Planet-X are a cheap for a reason, cheap materials, lack of attention to detail and p*ss poor quality control. I’m not sure they even have a clue what either of those means. Stay well away IMO.

The planet X and On-one frames I’ve seen and ridden have all seemed pretty good quality for the money. Personally I think they have a rather confused branding/marketing that doesn’t help them promote a cheap but good quality approach. Having said that it’s tough when so many roadies are misled into thinking that Italian brands are so much better just because of their ‘long prestigious histories’. Mind you that is effective branding/marketing!

clubber

dragon – Member
    On-one / Planet-X are a cheap for a reason, cheap materials, lack of attention to detail and p*ss poor quality control. I’m not sure they even have a clue what either of those means. Stay well away IMO.

Evidence? Sounds like total BS based on my experience of them and other more expensive brands’ offerings.

They sell direct. That cuts a good chunk of cost off the RRP.

deviant

Dragon, i’ve bought everything from complete bikes through to forks, tyres, clothing etc etc from On-One.

The postage times have been outstanding, near as damn it next day for pretty much everything except the complete bike which had to be built (and then came with a better spec fork than the one advertised in the build!).

Me emails have always been promptly answered and i even had a phone call from them telling me when they’d finished the bike and it was being sent out that day.

Yes the materials are cheap but do you really need 853 steel for a MTB?…of course not, its nice to have and Alpine and Stanton will gladly make you a bike with that material but On-One recognise that most people dont care about that so use cheaper steel and pass the saving on to the customer.

Likewise the build itself, my cycling mate has just bought a new Cube, its beautifully finished whereas my 456-Evo looks like a load of tubes welded together….does it affect the ride?…..doesnt seem to, the angles are spot on (this is what Brant does well in my opinion) and even the cheap steel gives a less harsh ride than aluminium….its win-win for me.

I’m done with buying complete and poorly specced bikes from the big players, i’m more than happy to use On-One for my MTB needs from now on, afterall its just a bike that i will chuck down a hill, fall off, scratch, get wet and muddy etc….i dont understand people being so precious about something designed so clearly to take abuse as part of its function?!

As others said, they have a direct sell model so can cut costs that way too….its why my next road bike will be from Canyon, Shimano’s new 11-speed Ultegra on a bike for less than £1500?…yes please!

hora

don’t knock On One/PlanetX – they employ local/create lots of jobs and expanding- thats alot of income Tax/income spend/N.I going into our countries coffers at this time IMO so your spend is going to our economy.

dragon

This is the company that brings you bikes with chainrings that grind through the frame, frames that chainsuck badly because of shoddy design, poor headset fit, poor quality pre-treat and paint, with rusting as a result, lacquer that falls off the carbon models, headtube size issues, the list goes on.

Simply put they are cheap for a reason, they don’t spend the money that other companies do to ensure they have a quality product.

I’m tempted to say they are the Primark of the cycling world, but that’s an insult to Primark.

compositepro

Simply put they are cheap for a reason, they don’t spend the money that other companies do to ensure they have a quality product.

Based on??

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

Have to say I thought they dropped the ball on my C456 on a load of fronts- bad cable mounts, frame shipped with parts missing which took weeks to resolve, and once I could actually ride it the finish turned out to be terrible, scratched if you used a sharp tone of voice near it. All pretty basic design/qc issues not helped by poor customer service after the fact.

Oh, all topped off with the frame being officially incompatible with helicopter tape- “If you wanted to use tape you should have bought a frame advertised as being compatible”.

But I did like my Scandal, it was a quality bit of kit, fantastic value too.

How can a frame be ‘incompatible’ with heli tape? Did it have some sort of teflon coating?

Premier Icon wwaswas
    Subscriber

I helitaped mine quite successfully – nothing melted or anything.

julianwilson

theroadwarrior – Member

How can a frame be ‘incompatible’ with heli tape? Did it have some sort of teflon coating?

I believe that the bond between the tape and what it is stuck to is stronger than that of the lacquer/finish and the frame it’s applied to. But yes the concept of compatibility/incompatibility with heli-tape was a new on to me too. 😆

[edit] But yes I love on-one/px. Every frame I have built up, had or ridden has been great, even the slotty scandal with wonky brake mounts was very easy to rectify and phenomenal value for money.

Premier Icon brant
    Subscriber

This is the company that brings you bikes with chainrings that grind through the frame, frames that chainsuck badly because of shoddy design, poor headset fit, poor quality pre-treat and paint, with rusting as a result, lacquer that falls off the carbon models, headtube size issues, the list goes on.

I’m tempted to say they are the Primark of the cycling world, but that’s an insult to Primark.

Dragon :: Are you Peter Poddy’s brother (in law?)

Premier Icon twonks
    Subscriber

I have a C456 that I bought second hand. It has Helli tape on the downtube and under and around the BB.

I even pulled a piece of it off to fit my front mech.

Seemed to be stuck well enough and didn’t pull the paint off when I peeled some away.

The bike rides well and although I will agree that the finish could be better – it handles and cope very well.

Also had a Scandal 26″ frame that was a superb bit of kit. Only reason I sold it was that I bought one too big… doh.

highlandman

I’m quite saddened to hear mud slinging from the likes of Dragon, without evidence to back up the complaint.
    To balance the scales though, I’ve bought quite a bit of stuff from On-one and PX over the years; all has been functional at worst and outstanding at best. As was the customer service on the two occasions that I’ve had a problem. Firstly, a steel 29er that ate BBs every 100 miles. Customer service replaced the chainset and its’s been totally fine ever since, so that one was down to a wonky product that originated from a big brand.
    Secondly, a set of handlebars where the wrong product was delivered by mistake- a simple error, swiftly and efficiently corrected.
    The On-one branded products have been grand. I’ve just done a (relatively) comfortable 300 mile weekend on the aforementioned rigid 29er, mainly on road on cx semi-slicks but with plenty singletrack too. Totally the cheap and cheerful tool for the job.
    On-one frames are workhorses, well designed in geometry, not always perfectly painted (after lots of winter road use, my 29er is rusting at the cable stops). I’d happily replace it with the new disc Kaffenback when it eventually dies but there’s no sign of that happening yet and it must have done over 20k miles in six years. I’ve also a 4 year old 26″ Inbred hardtail too for xc duties; this afternoon it’ll go over the Sidlaw hills for about the hundredth time this year.. Like I said, workhorses. Very good value on the smiles per mile per pound scale.

Premier Icon YoKaiser
    Subscriber

I’ve a Planet X SL Pro that I’ve had a for a couple of years now, absolutely no complaints, built up into a nice comfy light bike. Total bargain for the price in my book. I’ve had customer service issues in the past (trying to order a slackset for my scandal was a exercise in futility)but by and large its all been good.

I’ve also had a couple of pairs of wheels and they have been excellent, carbon pro’s were supreme value at the time and a pair of model b’s have lasted for a load of commuting and a few CX races including the three peaks without a wobble at all.

dragon

Never met Peter Poddy in my life.

I’m hardly mud slinging the evidence is there to back it up, they have quality issues. Even On-one fans admit that they’ve had a fair ‘few’ issues over the years.

mangatank

Never had an issue here. Loved both my On One frames. The parts I’ve had have been excellent, especially the CNC’d stems. I’ve got 6 of their merino tops, and they’ve been hands down the best cycling clothing I’ve ever owned. It’s also worth noting that the Carbon 456 was produced when Brant was with a different company, creating the Ragley range.

grum

Another fan here. Had two Kaffenbacks and a 456 Summer Season. Great bikes for the money.

Yes they aren’t perfect but the value is amazing.

liquid1000

I have had an inbred for years now that has served me well and has been used for trails, mountains and towing the kids! My mates have 456 carbons and love them no issues at all, one of them has just got a Planet X Superlight Carbon Road Bike which is lovely, really light and my mate loves it! I have to say I buy all sorts from on one and planet x and its all really good value for money kit. I just got a couple of jerseys for 10 and 15 quid, ok they are not gore quality but hey they don’t cost £60! I will still pay for nice stuff when flush or need something well engineered thats going to last. Its just when you are looking at the comparative spec on big brand bikes it just feels like we are all being ripped off massively!

Its the same with the chinese lights I and my mates have been using them for years £27 vs £250 for a comparative brand that I bet the battery will also be battered in the same time!

Crack on Brant as far as I am concerned, for those who think that paying 3 times the price will give you 3 times the enjoyment then thats fine with me :0)

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

theroadwarrior – Member

How can a frame be ‘incompatible’ with heli tape?

According to On One the finish “lacks resistance to tape adhesive”

Mind you, I only got that line after they’d given me no less than 3 other false reasons to reject the warranty claim, so pinch of salt time… Honesty doesn’t seem to be their policy.

ds3000

On the 8th day God made On-one/Planet X, and he knew that it was good.

I’ve ridden my Pompino virtually every day for the last 5 years through rain, sleet, shite and shine with not a single issue (goes and checks chainstsys).

Had two Inbreds, also fine steeds which gave much pleasure.

They make good value-for-money frames, which enable people to get out and ride bikes for not too much money.

Premier Icon mikewsmith
    Subscriber

My 456 cost me about 170 quid delivered. I got a no nonsense frame that works, a little heavy finish is good but it’s a mountain bike. If I had any problems there is someone who I can talk to.

Happy enough and there are even a few down here in Oz looking at the fat bikes as great fun and value.

If things are actually wrong (structural/alignment etc) they need to be dealt with, if people get a bit precious about finish then they need to remember what they are paying.

cheap generic Chinese carbon frame

called “open mould”, where the factory owns the mould rather than a specific bike manufacturer.

Who made your bike?

mangatank

Great link, crashtest!

Premier Icon teamhurtmore
    Subscriber

Not being specific to OO or PX here, but I never get the argument that it’s ok if something is a little crap since as long as it “such good value (sic)”. Good value is not the same as low price be it a poorly made bike, an economy sausage or a fake watch that stops after 6 months. Value has to wider than that – the product has to be good/better than others and a lower price (sorry that a weak definition).

Going back to the old watch debates on here – if you buy a <£100 watch (Casios aside) that breaks after one year. You have something with 100% depreciation that doesn’t work. Zero value. I you buy a eg Rolex for £4, the watch does the job (ie it’s accurate at telling the time), it will outlast the wearer and is price will rise over that same lifetime. It works, it appreciates in value, it is piece of male jewellery. Which is the better value?

Edit: I accept that modern fashion business is an exception to the rule here with lots of clothes being designed and marketed as essentially disposable cheap items. But I don’t see a bike as a disposable item!

I keep being tempted by an OO bike but being a mechanical numpty, all the issues that keep coming up on sights like this make me nervous and suspicious. Ok I may have spent £1k less that aV rival but if the bike gives you endless hassle (not saying that OO necessarily do) then it is very poor value IMO.

P.s. I think the thread title is bloody rude, if not intentional. I am sure that Brant and others work hard to salsify their target market segment and his passion and helpfulness comes across in his posts. I think the title is somewhat disrespectful in that context.

Premier Icon brant
    Subscriber

called “open mould”, where the factory owns the mould rather than a specific bike manufacturer.

http://inrng.com/2012/02/who-made-your-bike/

Well, I see huge confusion about assembly factory vs frame manufacturer in that article.

I have been to a “tubes in one end, bikes out the other” places, but those tend to be lower end. I don’t know of a carbon fibre framed bike that’s built somewhere like that.

grum

Not being specific to OO or PX here, but I never get the argument that it’s ok if something is a little crap since as long as it “such good value (sic)”.

Luck no-one has said that then eh?

Premier Icon weeksy
    Subscriber

Must admit, i’d looked at the Ti 29er Do it all fun bike that looked and sounded absolutely amazing… However, i did wait for others to ‘test’ it first and sadly, there did seem to be quite a few ‘niggles’, some that were easy to sort, some not so easy. Some IMO, bang out of order.

I love the concept of the place, i use them for ‘bits’ a fair bit…. but i’m not sure i’d buy a frame of theirs in all honesty.

mindmap3

I’m pretty indifferent to One On / Planet X if I’m honest. I thought about an El Guapo but was out off by the issues of dodgy geometry.

They do seem to be a bit of a marmite brand though. Some people seem to love them whereat other hate them for whatever reason. The complete PX bikes do look like bargat though especially compared to the likes if Spesh.

Their merino base layers are great though. I’ve got a couple and really like them and they seem to work better than my Howies one.

mrmonkfinger

I am sure that Brant and others work hard to salsify their target market segment

I for one am often challenged in the salsa department.

Premier Icon scotroutes
    Subscriber

At the risk of being flamed/upsetting folks, I’ll offer a few words.

Are the Planet X / On Ones decent frames? Mostly yes. Let’s face it, there are few “bad” frames out there these days. They appear to be well designed and, as this thread shows, lots of folk are very happy with them. However, they are definitely produced, and delivered, within a budget constraint in order to meet the price-point that PX/OO have gone for. This forum has many threads regarding QC problems; paint finishes, dropouts that didn’t fit, chainguides and brake mounts incorrectly fitted, chainsuck, baggy seat tubes etc. If you buy in the knowledge that you might experience some of these problems and are happy to pay the PX/OO price then all is good.

I don’t think you can cast doubt on brants abilities as a designer and when he headed off to become Shedfire and started designing the Ragleys I wondered if he would do some design work for other brands too – perhaps where he would be less cost-contrained. However, it looks like he is more-or-less a PX/OO employee again. Perhaps PX/OO could even offer a “Lexus” range that got a bit more attention at the build and QC stage to sort out some of those problems? Mind you that would require a re-think in the area of customer service too. I am not the only one to have had problems with their CS. I’m not sure if it’s lies (as has been suggested above), incompetence (perhaps the staff are a bit stretched) or just laziness but that’s the reason I would never buy another OO product.

And before anyone wants to have a dog at my “bitchiness”, a search through STW would show many posts where I’ve recommended folk look at On One products.

Premier Icon Blackhound
    Subscriber

I wondered if the purchase of Titus might be there ‘Lexus’ range. Not really kept tabs on OO/PX of late though so unsure what they are doing with the brand.

(I have an old American Titus road frame which is still wants to go a lot faster than my legs will take it)

Premier Icon Teetosugars
    Subscriber

I wonder what they have in store when they start on Tomac??

ChunkyMTB

Tomac never had any issues…. will be fine… 😐

Premier Icon BadlyWiredDog
    Subscriber

What are peoples thoughts on the PX Ti “pro” road frames? I’m quite tempted to buy one in a couple of months time as I’ve always wanted a nice ti road bike and didn’t realise PX did them for an almost reasonable price.

I don’t know about the current version – the Van Nicholas one – but I have one of the original Lynskey-made Ti Pro Roads and it’s been great. A really nice blend of compliance when you hit the rougher bits of the Peak District’s roads and kind of lateral composure and stiffness under pedalling, which sounds a bit like marketing speak, but sort of sums it up. A mate who’s ridden a fair few road miles tried it and thought it was lovely. I’d personally have no qualms about buying a Van Nic one either. Then again I just like the way ti rides and looks.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 83 total)

The topic ‘Planet X bikes – cheap Chinese tat or decent frames’ is closed to new replies.