Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Planet-X advice please
  • pjbarton
    Free Member

So, if a person was spending £1,300 on a PlanetX road-bike…

normal frame with RED groupset
    OR
    nanolight frame with force

both £1,300 – normal frame with rival for £999 is tempting too!.. leaning towards nanolight I think…

Stoner
    Free Member

decisions, decisions.

What about Pro carbon Rival (£999) and some £399 carbon wheels? 😉

TBH I think the pro carbon frame is ace anyway, and the groupsets are all good. nice wheels can b v nice though.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Out of your choice, Nanolight with Force.

But I’d do what Stoner suggests

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    clubber
    Free Member

I’d always go for the better frame unless the extra cost isn’t actually matched by the amount of ‘betterness’.

pjbarton
    Free Member

that’s an interesting point – rotating weight an’ all.
    not sure i need RED – just crazeee value.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

From what I hear the nanolight frame reviews are not so great, I have a pro sl and can vouch for there goodness.

donsimon
    Free Member

I’d always go for the better frame unless the extra cost isn’t actually matched by the amount of ‘betterness’.

I like the logic behind that.

pjbarton
    Free Member

KINGTUT, where did you read / hear that? I’m just presuming it’s better – haven’t found much in the way of reviews.

STONER, would I be right in thinking the £399 wheels are all a bit TT? (I’m new to roadbikes)

KINGTUT
    Free Member

KINGTUT, where did you read / hear that? I’m just presuming it’s better – haven’t found much in the way of reviews.

I can’t remember to be honest, I think it was in one of the mags possibly cycling weekly.

EDIT: They talk about it here..

They talk about the review here.

RickyRah
    Free Member

some £399 carbon wheels?

Doesn’t have to be the carbon wheels but I would definitely recommend saving some cash to spend on a wheel upgrade. If you don’t want carbon deeps, their ultegra and RS80 wheelsets seem to be well priced and are very nice for general riding.

pjbarton
    Free Member

kingtug – ah, that thread, they don’t mention bikes after the first 3 or 4 pages – just lots of slagging, got bored.

mogrim

Doesn’t have to be the carbon wheels but I would definitely recommend saving some cash to spend on a wheel upgrade

+1 on that, upgraded my (admittedly crap) Decathlon standard wheels to some Mavic Aksiums + GP4000s, and the difference is definitely noticeable, and good for 4kmh more on the flat 🙂

Ed2001
    Free Member

I really wouldn’t worry about what some triantelopes are saying about a frame.In my experience they no F A about bikes 🙂

brant
    Free Member

Mark Lovatt likes his very much, and he is very fussy.

The Nanolight is our datum that we test everything else against now including the new super duper secret bike we’re doing shortly (very expensive).

plop_pants
    Free Member

Could just be a an urban myth but I’ve heard you cannot fit campag 11 to a nanolight.

placid_casual
    Free Member
    gonetothehills
    Free Member

The Nanolight review in Cycling Plus was of the OLD frame – not the current Hi Mod one. There are significant differences in terms of stiffness between them and I wouldn’t give a hapeth for that review as, as far as I understand, it doesn’t represent the current product.

I have a Nanolight Hi Mod, weigh 13.5 stone (ahem) and genuinely, seriously consider it a better frame than either the S-Works Roubaix that it replaced, or the Litespeed Ti frame that I had before that.

It’s stiff but compliant, very fast and remarkably comfy on long rides. Given the state of the roads round here (Cheshire / White Peak) it tracks very well, is confident on the downhills and, given my overall mass, is remarkably rapid on the ups. I’ll be doing the Geoff Thomas / Cyclestore sportive this weekend on it and can’t wait to get out on it. Mine’s got Dura Ace 7800 and Mavic Ksyrium hoops; that have evolved through both previous frames over the years. It’s a top ride – go for it.

The only caveat is that you’ll not be able to run greater than 700×23 tyres, but you wouldn’t really want to on that sort of frame anyway, I don’t think.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

kingtug – ah, that thread, they don’t mention bikes after the first 3 or 4 pages – just lots of slagging, got bored.

Indeed, but they did mention the source of the review, don’t get me wrong I really wanted a white Nano and I might have got one however I got an amazing deal on a second hand PX SL Pro.

radoggair
    Free Member

Just had to rebuild my planet-x since my felt Aero bike has had a minor issue. i normally only use it for commuting in the colder months or wet and a winter training bike so haven’t used it for about 6 months. What i noticed today after my 2 hr run was

A/ it climbs very well, better and faster than the felt
    B/ Sprinting on it is suprisingly better as well
    C/ Once up to speed it doesn’t feel as fast and is harder to hold it there than the felt
    D/ The front end is noticeably more flexible than the (admittedly) really stiff Felt
    E/ It feels and probably is lighter than the (more expensive – by a big margin) Felt

So to sum up, it was quick overall, brilliant on the climbs and short sharp sprints i did, but flexed alot more than my other bike and was not as fast overall. i felt like i was doing 2-3 mph less on flats than what i would be doing.

But for the money you cant go wrong

pjbarton
    Free Member

thanks for all the well considered responses – really appreciate it.
    I’m leaning towards nanolight – then save up for better wheels some time later.

and placid_casual, it really does look nice doesn’t it!

KINGTUT
    Free Member

The PX Model B wheels (which will probably come on your build)are pretty darn good anyway.

sefton
    Free Member

whats the difference between the SL and Nano?

KINGTUT
    Free Member

The nano is stiffer and lighter I think.

bauchlebastart
    Free Member

KINGTUT
    My model B’s obviuosly got passed over on the QC checks. Build is good, but the rear bearings have failed after 40 hours of spring / summer riding. Planet X appear not to want to know…..and stated that bearings are a consumable item. While I agree with them being consumable, I think their warranty should cover bearings for premature failure. Hopefully they will sort it out.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

To qualify, pretty darn good for £129.99.

sam_underhill

hang on a minute……

The Nanolight is our datum that we test everything else against now including the new super duper secret bike we’re doing shortly (very expensive)

What do we reckon then? full internal routing with an Ultegra Di2 groupset and semi-aero? or just an even lighter nanolight?

Brant – how soon is “shortly”?

pjbarton
    Free Member

if it were £129.99, there’d be less hesitation!

drain

@bauchlebastart – while the bearings on my Model Bs held up very well (still super smooth), my rear one developed a bulge on one side of the rear rim after about 500 miles. Like your experience, the Planet X guys just didn’t want to know, saying that it was me dinging it. Well, possibly, 50/50, but that seems odd to me that it would only be on one side – it would more likely be on both if a pothole – and to dismiss it out of hand left a bad taste.

If Planet X sold them separately I’d’ve probably bought a replacement rear, but as it was they only do wheelsets or front ones 😕 so I ended up getting some Pro Lites with which I’m very happy after doing JOGLE on them. Not quite as light, but stiffer. Got them from Ribble on a good deal.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Planet-X advice please’ is closed to new replies.

New deal added to Members Discounts