Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Plagiarism
  • Xylene
    Free Member

I’ve just started a Masters, the first unit, is very much similar to the last post-grad I did, and in fact the end of unit assignment is nearly the same, the rest of the upcoming units are not.

Is it plagiarism to resubmit my own work from a different course?

Stoner
    Free Member

It is plagiarism to resubmit your own work from a different course

wwpaddler
    Free Member

I’d ask your university rather than a MTB forum

oldnpastit

If plagiarism is good enough for Lobachevsky, it’s good enough for you…

wwaswas

It is plagiarism to resubmit your own work from a different course

Xylene
    Free Member

^ 😛

BFITH
    Free Member

plagiarism
    ?ple?d??r?z(?)m/Submit
    noun
    noun: plagiarism; plural noun: plagiarisms
    the practice of taking someone else’s work or ideas and passing them off as one’s own.
    “there were accusations of plagiarism”
    synonyms: copying, infringement of copyright, piracy, theft, stealing, poaching, appropriation; informalcribbing

hammyuk
    Free Member

Run it through the submission software and see if it flags it.
    If not and seeing as technically you “own it” then I’d say no.

curto80
    Free Member

Depends where you plagiarised it from the first time around

Handsomedog
    Free Member

I think our university doesn’t class that as plagiarism but does consider it against the rules.

EDIT: found it in the handbook:

1. Assessment irregularities take various forms including:

a. plagiarism: Defined in General Regulation VIII Examinations C as unacknowledged use including quotation and close paraphrasing of other people’s writing and ideas, amounting to the presentation of other person’s writings or thoughts as one’s own. This includes using material which is available on the world-wide web and in any other electronic form, and “contract cheating” i.e. obtaining an essay from an essay writing site or equivalent source and submitting it for marking, as if it were your own work.

b. Multiple submission: the inappropriate submission of the same or substantially the same work of one’s own for summative assessment, in connection with an academic award.

Be slightly careful if you’re submitting things you’ve submitted before for marking to a Turnitin (or similar) system. We use Turnitin and it scans both online sources and also any work that has been submitted to Turnitin from other universities that use Turnitin. So if your previous work is already in a database somewhere it will flag as 100% copied and you might end up arousing unwanted interest in your submissions, which is a huge hassle even if it ends up not being against the rules.

avdave2

I think you’ll find the original work has to be of a sufficient quality before anyone will bother to call it plagiarism 🙂

neilthewheel

As long as you reference your sources, where’s the problem?

tomhoward

I think our university doesn’t class that as plagiarism but does consider it against the rules.

This, we were told not to reference ourselves as we weren’t significant enough….

Who did you reference in your original piece? Use them?

scaredypants

to resubmit your own work from a different course It is plagiarism

I didn’t get where I am today without knowing how to avoid turnitin 😉

SaxonRider

I’d ask your university rather than a MTB forum

There are enough academics on here to answer the question accurately.

Simply put, the answer is yes. It is indeed plagiarism to re-submit your own work for another purpose. I am responsible for citing myself in exactly the same way I am when I cite others.

Don’t do it, even if the material overlaps.

Xylene
    Free Member

Surely my writing style will be recongised by Turnitin.

andrewh
    Free Member

vorlich
    Free Member

Easily the worst of all the -isms.

martinhutch

To resubmit your own work from a different course is plagiarism.

No problem now.

maccruiskeen

or if anyone has plagiarised your work since

wwaswas

or if anyone has plagiarised your work since

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Easily the worst of all the -isms.

Flatulism?

maccruiskeen

Botulism

maccruiskeen

j…

theotherjonv

You might get away with it, but there’s always someone somewhere with a big nose who knows.

ulysse
    Free Member

Onanism

maccruiskeen

Thats not plagiarism. This is plagiarism…

Or it may be that China attempted to replicate the design based on pictures of the Pelamis project freely available on the web.

So the bastards broke in – stole their laptops and went through their browsing history and found all the results of their vanity searches. Evil geniuses.

I mean they’re both red! How much more conclusive could it be. Perhaps a smidge more conclusive if theres striking similarities on the inside rather than just being superficially similar on the outside. 🙂

slowoldman

Hey, that was my question.

footflaps

Or it may be that China attempted to replicate the design based on pictures of the Pelamis project freely available on the web.

They could have downloaded the content of all their laptops remotely without batting an eyelid. China has 1000s of hackers in military divisions whose sole purpose is stealing western IPR.

hairyscary

theotherjonv – Member
    You might get away with it, but there’s always someone somewhere with a big nose who knows.

Stop me, but I’m sure I’ve heard that one before

CountZero

plagiarism
    ?ple?d??r?z(?)m/Submit
    noun
    noun: plagiarism; plural noun: plagiarisms
    the practice of taking someone else’s work or ideas and passing them off as one’s own.
    synonyms: copying, infringement of copyright, piracy, theft, stealing, poaching, appropriation; informalcribbing

John Fogarty, of Credence Clearwater Revival fame, was successfully sued by his record company for plagiarism because his solo songs sounded like the songs he’d written when he was with CCR.
    I kid you not!
    So be very careful if your own work seems too much like your own work.

PapaWheelie
    Free Member

Small world. I just gave a lecture on this today.
    What you’re referring to is called “self plagiarism.” Some profs allow it, some don’t. Best to ask beforehand. If a previous prof has used Turnitin and you get a Similarity score of 100, you’re toast.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Plagiarism’ is closed to new replies.