Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Places to visit and things to do in the Peaks
  • ductions
    Free Member

My wife and I are staying in Foolow/Eyam for a few days and I’m wondering if you lot can recommend any must see places like outdoors, museums, bike shops, restaurants or pubs?

Originally we were going to take our bikes but I’ve not been able to finish building my new bike unfortunately and due to a foot injury I’m not able to run.

We’ve done Bakewell and Chatsworth in the past so looking for stuff to do in Hope Valley or even Buxton. I hear Castleton is a nice visit?

Cheers!

Harry_the_Spider

Castleton is nice. The castle is worth a look. Also, if you have seen The Princess Bride have a peep over the wall at the top.

geomickb
    Free Member

Go to Alpkit Hathersage and demo some Sonder bikes! I’m sure they will give route suggestions.

Go to the deli next door for some nice coffee/food and wander round the outdoor shops while you are there.

Fresh Goods Friday 697 - The Sprunnng! Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 697 - The Sprunn...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    MoreCashThanDash

Good suggestions up there.

Chatsworth, obviously. Maybe the farm shop as much as the house.

Monsal Trail – hire bikes at Hassop Station and pootle up over the viaducts and through the tunnels.

The Royal Oak at Hurdlow. And the other side of the A515 is Tagg Lane Dairy, if it’s open. Amazing ice cream and gold top milk from the herd of Jersey cows.

Ladybower reservoirs may be interesting at the moment.

18 Bikes in Hope. Leave your credit card somewhere else.

If you like a bit of history, Arkwrights Mill and Masson Mill at Cromford, Cromford itself (Scarthin Books is an experience with a great veggie restaurant). While you are there, hit the arcades at Matlock Bath, like the seaside, but 100 miles from any coastline.

jekkyl

Staying near Eyam?

Short drive up to Hathersage and pop up to walk up to Stanage edge, just walk up the path from carpark and walk to the left or the right as far as you like, you can walk as long as you like, even 30 mins up there is invigorating.
    . In Calver, just down the valley from Eyam is the Cotic warehouse, if you ask nicely they’ll let you demo a bike for nought and take it round the graves route.
    .Walk over and up to the Black Harry’s Gate and down Coombs dale and back down to Calver. Or up Coombs dale if you like, it’s an easy gradient and sheltered from the weather.
    Castleton is nice, there are 3 tourist caves to visit if you like. Any of them are great for kids but there is a lot of steep steps in speedwell if you have infants. Either of the two pubs on the main road are great. One is haunted iirc.

Hayfield is nice for an afternoon coffee shopping.

highpeakrider
    Free Member

A full website just dedicated to that.
    https://www.peakdistrict.gov.uk/visiting

ductions
    Free Member

Thanks for the suggestions, I’ve started making a rough itinerary.

We got here today and starting to realise I’ve been to lots of places before! Drove down winnet’s pass which I’ve ridden up before, never realised it was next to Castleton.

I’ve been to Arkwrights mill with my dad a few years ago and we’ve actually arranged to meet at the Scarthin bookshop cafe this week.

I’m determined to drag my other half round some bike shops.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Places to visit and things to do in the Peaks’ is closed to new replies.