Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Places to live near Sheffield.
  • SpokesCycles
    Free Member

It looks like a move to Sheffield is on the cards for next year.

Being from nearby, I’m pretty familiar with the Hope Valley/Glossop etc. The houses here look good, not too expensive (compared to what we’re paying at the minute). Obviously the ability to ride all those trails without having to drive is very appealing. However, I’m aware that places like the villages around Chesterfield are cheaper for the same thing so I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations?

We’re not that keen on living within Chesterfield, and ideally not in Sheffield itself unless it’s a reasonably nice, quiet area. We’d prefer to be in a smaller village in the country.

Anyone got any recommendations?

Cheers.

spindi
    Free Member

Maybe Dore to be closer to the action whilst being on the fringe (and also having an excellent route into the Peak). If you want to go out into the Peak places like Hope / Hathersage etc all get mobbed in the summer. Castleton a little bit less so.

spindi
    Free Member

The train that stops in Bamford can be in Sheffield or Manchester in about 30 minutes I think. Might be the best of both worlds.

Si
    Free Member

Id get somewhere on the western edge of the city Luke.

Perfect riding out onto Blacka etc and a lot of hidden trails all through great off road access from edge of the city and city centre even. Most areas all feel as small villages anyway.

If you dont want student then Dore, Fulwood, Stannington, Totley all would suit. And then crookes, walkley if you can put up with the students.

Bear in mind also that Sheffield is one of Europes greenest cities and there are woods and greenspace everywhere. Just take a look at the area around Nether Green where I used to live, its a fantastic place. Proper ghetto scene building in Sheffield too at the moment

Baslow is nice but not cheap. Holmsfield if you want to be closer to Sheff. Barlow or Froggat if you’re rich. Dore is pretty much on the outskirts of Sheff. Hope valley a good call but as said very touristy. Maybe consider something Bakewell direction?

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

Si- I was thinking of where you used to live. Seemed pretty nice houses and an easy ride out. Problem is I had no idea where it was.

No more students, I’ll be done with them by then!

Bamford seems ideal to me, in the country, rides from the door, still has a shop that’s open on a Sunday for the important bits. Chances of finding a house there are slim but I’ll always keep an eye out. Also opens up jobs in Manchester for me.

Fortunately tourists don’t bother me, always lived where they flock to.

I’m dreading getting used to the Sheffield road system though- I don’t think I’ve ever been there without getting lost!

sheffield isn’t that big. Wont take you long to get used to the roads

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

You do know who you’re talking to right? 😉

Si
    Free Member

Yeah that was Graham RD, Hangingwater. Good place to start and highly recommedned…

Mr18 also resides Dore way. S10 or S6 postcodes. That place we used to have was about £650 for a 3 bed terrace. Some of those areas its well worth trawling the local shop windows for the best houses.

Whilst crookes and walkley are with the students I think they are much better integrated into the area than most places and not as noticeable particularly if you choose your location within crooked well for example.

I think youd regret basing yourself completely out in middle of nowhere Luke. Sheffield has such a great scene and on the whole its transport system sorted so 20min bus ride to town for nights out down Divison st or 20mins ride to get up to some great trails. Win Win…

Only downside is if you need to get out to the m1 regularly I guess.

spindi
    Free Member

Don’t know how true this is but apparently all of the ‘posh’ places in Sheffield have historically been on the west side due largely to the way that the wind blows mostly (west to east from the Peak). Think old style Victorian factories and the kind of smoke that they would have been pumping out. You don’t want to be downwind of that! 🙂

From Bamford you have some of the best routes in the Peak on your doorstep – also, dependent on what kind of work you do Manchester can be a LOT easier to get a job or will pay more.

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

A fairly large part of me is quite keen to get back to the middle of nowhere, but the edges of Sheffield are nice enough to tempt me I think.

The main advantage of being a bit more in the sticks for me is it opens up Manchester, but it’s not like Nottingham is far away.

spindi
    Free Member

But as said above – you could do far worse than living on the edge of Sheffield. You can MTB from Endcliffe Park right the way out to Hope Valley (and beyond) with only minor road sections.

spindi
    Free Member

If you’re in Sheffield the commute to Leeds is doable (especially by train). Might be another option.

Si
    Free Member

I miss the people republic…

Drop us a mail if you ever want any more advice Luke. But you could be right about middle of nowhere if you need Manc aswell. Probably still easier to get to the centre of there than it is Nottingham.

If thats the case then get yourself Dore way near the station

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

Cool, I think I will. Are you still away down south?

Where I can find a job will sway an awful lot but it’s nice to know Leeds is within range. I’ll keep an eye on the places you’ve all suggested.

Who knows, maybe the 18 bikes empire will suddenly explode and they’ll need a new spanner monkey…

Si
    Free Member

Yeah but you forget Si knows your ‘history’….haha

Indeed,still rockin Dartmoor and livin near the sea, but I do miss Sheffield… Be back up for Christmas week but not much more.

Take it easy

racing_ralph
    Free Member

luke remember i know the peak area very well housing wise. grindleford is worth a look

ahwiles
    Free Member

villages around sheffield will be expensive – or they were when i looked…

i’ve found a compromise – crookes.

i’m a 30min walk from the city centre, but at the end of my road there’s fields, horses, woodland, rivers, and easy access to loads of peachy singletrack.

depending on whether i turn left or right out of my ginnel, i either live in a village in the hills, or a city with buses, and theatres, and convenient shopping etc.

walkley, hillsborough, crosspool, stannington, nether edge, ranmoor, fulwood, bannercross, etc, all offer a similar experience.

anywhere in the west of the city will give you easy access to greenery and great riding. hillsborough would give you a good head start towards leeds, if that’s where you’ll be working.

why not live in leeds? – s’nice*, and some very good riding to be had.

(*obviously not as nice as sheffield)

ahwiles
    Free Member

although, if it’s definitely the village thing you’re after,

how about heading north out of the city?

places like bradfield, dungworth, oughtibridge might be worth a look…?

Pieface

everywhere you’ve mentioned so far is considered relatively expensive but I guess your renting.

emmodd
    Free Member

I’ll 2nd north Sheffield. Live there myself and can’t fault the riding. Wharncliffe would be on your doorstep and the Peaks are only a short hop too. Bradfield is lovely and has easy access to the M1 or Woodhead pass so Leeds and Manchester are on the cards too.

TinMan
    Free Member

Bradway next to Totley, v nice, quiet, good views of blacka and houndkirk. Rapid access to m1 sth via ches Vegas, BW’s, blacka and eccy woods on doorstep.

Def not the hubbub and student mecca of Crookes. You have to be a city dweller to think its like a village 😀

pop-larkin
    Free Member

If you are looking to buy relatively cheaply I would look at Woodseats- I had my first house there and it was a nice easy cycle into the peak, nice park next door, good bus route and local shops on your doorstep.

I too miss Sheff.

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

No buying yet- this’ll be a relatively short term thing (initially). At the minute we live in Edinburgh and St Andrews and rents for our places are around £700 a month (and mine’s considered cheap 😯 ) so anywhere will seem relatively affordable.

Tinman- I was looking at Totley on the map as it seemed to be a nice balance of both. What’s it like?

North Sheffield does sound appealing now. I’ll have a look into those places.

Pieface

it may be cheap compared to Edinburgh but where will your income be coming from? I would say dore and totley are a bit boring for a young man.

yamyamblade
    Free Member

Some lovely villages in north sheffield/barnsley border, look at Oxspring which is close to Penistone and all villages around there, http://www.simonblyth.co.uk/ is the agent we used and can recommend for both renting and buying

DeeW
    Free Member

I live in Totley and really like it. Not as posh as Dore (home of all the ex-footballers), and a fair bit cheaper. Fantastic riding on Blacka and Totley Moors within 10 mins ride (better than anything else in the Peaks but I’m biased!!). Easy access to Sheffield as well.

Anywhere on the west side of Sheffield is pretty nice and and great for riding. Bradway, Totley, Dore, Fulwood, Ranmoor, Crookes etc. Probably most expensive in Dore, Fulwood, Ranmoor, Totley probably mid range, Crookes and Northern side cheapest.

Bear in mind any likely commute, if you are wanting to go Leeds way then north Sheffield is a lot easier. South side gives easy access to Chesterfield and M1 south. Doesn’t make much difference for the journey west to Manchester.

Dave

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

Pieface- that’d be a clincher, but I’m working on the job situation already. Worst comes to worst I can go back home. And I’m a pretty dull young man ;).

DeeW- cool, I’ll bear that in mind.

Personally I wouldn’t go North – for me it’s too near Hillsborough 😡 and get too close to Barnsley – eurgh. You also have Parsons Cross which is a shithole, although I have relly’s that live there. Overall, I just don’t think the North of the City is that nice.

cpsilver

south sheff is full of pretend southerners. They will frown at you for riding on their paths whilst walking the labrador.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Places to live near Sheffield.’ is closed to new replies.