• This topic has 16 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 3 days ago by llama.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Places to eat in Bakewell?
  • Premier Icon stealthcat

As per the title, any suggestions for a good place to eat one evening in Bakewell?

8 people – 6 adults, 2 kids. Preferably local produce, and not bog standard pub grub, as we’re doing that another night.

Any suggestions appreciated!

Premier Icon ads678

Try all three ‘original’ pudding shops and see which you think is the best!

The Peacock was nice last time I was there though, but thats just pub grub…

Premier Icon finbar
    Free Member

EDIT: ignore me, I missed the part about dinner (Cauldwell’s Mill at Rowsley is delicious for lunch though).

Premier Icon MoreCashThanDash

If you can travel a bit I’d suggest the Royal Oak at Hurdlow.

Not sure if Hassop Station is back doing evening meals

Tend to avoid Bakewell itself as it gets very busy.

Premier Icon the-muffin-man

If you can travel then Stones in Matlock is very good. Probably not great for young kids – just those that can keep their arse still on a chair!
    http://www.stones-restaurant.co.uk/

There’s the Cavendish in Baslow too.
    https://devonshirehotels.co.uk/cavendish-hotel-baslow/wine-dine/the-gallery-restaurant/

And has as already been mentioned The Peacock at Rowlsey…
    https://thepeacockatrowsley.com/dine

Premier Icon Richie_B

If your willing to go a bit further a field, The Red Lion in Birchover is usually good (On a good night it has served the best restaurant food I’ve ever had but can be a tad variable on busy days). The Pub in Over Haddon (on a nice day they could serve whatever they liked and the view would make up for it). There are plenty of others around but it depends on your budget. The place at the Chatsworth Farm Shop in Pilsley is worth a try (if you can get past the self entitled elderly set with sharp elbows).

Would second Cauldwell’s Mill for lunch

Its pretty busy around here at the moment and most pubs/restaurants are getting back into the swing so capacity depends on the weather and booking in advance.

Premier Icon tuboflard

The Red Lion in Birchover is permanently closed I’m afraid, up for sale @Richie_B. The Druid in the same village is very nice though, standard pub food but nice setting and plenty of outdoor dining space if weather permits. You’ll need to book though (as with anywhere this summer I suspect).

The Devonshire Arms in Beeley is excellent, great food in a lovely hotel/inn.

Or just head to the Thornbridge tap room and have pizza and Jaipur.

If I had to pick one for proper restaurant food it’d be the Devonshire.

Premier Icon Richie_B

Yes its up for sale for a while and it has been closed but its been open for the last couple of weeks.

Premier Icon llama

The cafe that imports the Austrian sausages. Here
    Probably better for lunch though really

Premier Icon tuboflard

That’s good to hear @Richie_B, was there just over a month ago and looked like it was permanently closed so glad to hear they are trading still whilst looking for a buyer.

Premier Icon prawny

The chippy in the town is quite nice upstairs, not many seats but it’s open til 7:30 according to the website. Mrs P and I had a nice lunch there with beer when the kids were at school a couple of years ago.

The Austrian sausage place is on my list to go to soon, not been yet though so can’t promote it

Premier Icon pk13
    Free Member

The Austrian sausage place.
    Lol
    It’s ace I may or may not of had a hissy fit at my wife for ordering the last strudel.
    Coffee is lovely too. The Thai restaurant is nice probably not for little uns thou

Premier Icon the-muffin-man

Do they do a frozen sausage option?

Premier Icon ivorlott
    Free Member

If you’re looking for something a bit more upmarket, Lovage in Bakewell is excellent. Chef was on Great British Menu, so not cheap, but the one visit we’ve had so far was really fab.

Premier Icon rone
    Free Member

Woodyard is okay for family stuff.

We just did Rafters in Ashford. £££££!
    Defo not for casual meal.

Looking forward to Lovage at some point. It’s a nice place. Although their coffee wasn’t that good.

Premier Icon Richie_B

glad to hear they are trading still

Trading has never been Matteo’s problem, I think he has finally accepted that four jobs that most people would consider full time is too much

Premier Icon llama

You can buy the (unexpectedly amazing quality) sausages to take home and cook yourself, but they are chilled not frozen

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.