Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Place to ride with kids in Devon? (Hive mind required)
  • wiggles
    Free Member

Staying in Brixham (near Paignton) and brought some bikes but the coastal path here has too many steps/cliffs for the kids to ride along.

Anywhere local-ish I can take them? Got car and bike rack?

Not looking for anything gnar as just with kids and Mrs who hasn’t riden a bike in years just something like the FOD family trail or similar

dcl

Obvious place would be Halden Hill.

Not too far to go and trails for everyone!

scadison freeride Park might interest you by yourself!!

i think there are a couple of evening races at Halden over the next few weeks included kids ones

coomber
    Free Member

Haldon blue (short) and green easy and fun. Blue is about 4 miles think. It’s all fireroad type riding. Can do on a hybrid.

Drive to Exeter and ride on the cycle path to double locks or turf locks for lunch or a beer. Easy and flat.

DavidB
    Free Member

Slapton Sands for a very short pootle. It is a closed road atm

Cycle path from Totnes to Asprington then pub then back.

You could also ride up to Hillhead then down track to Mansands beach.

brakeswithface

Burrator reservoir to Princetown up the old railway line is very mellow but scenic, and good cafe in Princetown. At the ish end of localish though.

ajantom

Haldon, as mentioned above. The green trail is doable by a 4yr old on a balance bike/little pedal bike. The top blue trail is not much more difficult, but the longer blue loop down the hill is slightly more technical (not at all technical really, but might be a bit much for a nervous wife or young kids).

You can park for free at Darts Farm, and then cycle along the estuary on a very good cycle path all the way to Exmouth and back. Couple of nice pubs along the way too. We’re doing this tomorrow with the yearling in the trailer, and the 4 1/2 year old on her pedal bike (she’ll probably do the return leg on the trailer).

Worth having a look around Darts Farm, expensive shopping, but a very nice deli, and really excellent fish and chips. The Cotswold Leisure shop sometimes has some bargains too.

wiggles
    Free Member

Cheers guys haldon looks like a good shout.

My boys are 5 and 7 both confident on pedal bikes so should be fine if we take it easy.

Me and the Mrs only on hybrids mine cost me £70 last week and I have slapped some spare parts on it and not tested it yet so won’t be pushing it much!

hamishthecat
    Free Member

Exe Estuary Trail

wheely
    Free Member

If you just want a family spin and ease into it, the velopark at Clennon (Paignton) is a few miles from you and only cost a couple of quid for a days riding. Nice and wide flat tarmac. Not exciting but something different.

zerocool

If you want to make a day trip of it the trails at Lanhydrock (National Trust estate) on Bodmin Moor are perfect for younger kids. They have a great new little trail centre there. And then you have the rest of the NT stuff there to amuse them for rest of day.

TiRed

Haldon is a great choice for the kids to enjoy the skills area. It’s wzcellent. Will be busy.

The ride along the canal in Exeter is lovely too. Nice pub at double locks. And as mentioned. Absolutely flat!

tdog
    Free Member

The smokey Ale bar? Lovely mulled cider there a while ago in massive jugs

sl2000

I cycled Drake’s trail from yelverton to tavistock on my holiday this year and thought it was pretty fab. 2 viaducts and a tunnel which the boys loved. https://www.strava.com/activities/1704621612. Looks like it’s an hour from Brixham though.

wiggles
    Free Member

Went to haldon today and had a good (bit eventful) time, did the green in less than half hour but then kids followed me j to the pump track and the eldest went straight over the first burm and landed upside down in a 2 foot deep drainage ditch….

Then we went to the skills area for a bit and decided to do the blue (Spicer’s) kids were flying off ahead but my GF was lagging behind (more on the downhill/twisty bits that uphill)  because she hasn’t roddera bike in years and never really off-road…

I eas trying to keep eyes on the kids and her and ended up riding into a tree stump while looking behind… Went OTB into a bush and had about 200 thorns in my forearm… Was a soft landing just spikey.

The kids rode off ahead I caught the oldest one up but his brother had gone ahead on his own so we chased him down only to get back where we started and he wasn’t there… So started to panic about a 5 year old being on his own in the woods! I raced off around the trail again full speed panicking but found him about half way around another lap! He thought his brother was in front of him so was frantically trying to catch up.

daern
    Free Member

Worth bearing in mind that the red loop at Haldon is a pretty easy one (really, it’s a blue) and I rode it for the first time with my youngest when he was 7yo and he loved it. In fact, for kids, Haldon is really good, although adults would find it a bit limited pretty quickly, I think.

ajantom

Haldon is really good, although adults would find it a bit limited pretty quickly, I think.

Only if you ignore the 15+ kms of off-piste 😉 and the whole DH/jump area.

daern
    Free Member

Only if you ignore the 15+ kms of off-piste and the whole DH/jump area.

Ignore is probably the wrong word, but as I live a long, long way from there, it’s really hard to know where this stuff is… 🙂 I shall make more effort to find it when I go next time!

ajantom

Sorry, didn’t mean to sound bolshey there 😊 it does take a bit of local knowledge, but there’s lots of friendly locals who’ll show you around.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Place to ride with kids in Devon? (Hive mind required)’ is closed to new replies.