Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Pivot Shadowcat first ride review: lightly outrageous
  • timnwild

Pivot’s replaced the 5.5 Mach with a smaller, lighter, upright suspension trail killer. It it enough fun to justify the price?

By timnwild

Get the full story on our front page at:

Pivot Shadowcat first ride review: lightly outrageous

Support us and help us keep the content flowing by becoming a full member.

honourablegeorge

I wonder how relevant reviews on those dry dusty trails are to most STW readers who are back here sloggin through mud.

No, I’m not jealous. You’re jealous.

Nice to see Pivot ditching SuperBoost for this bike also, hope it dies a death everywhere

ChrisL

Interesting juxtaposition of the “So. Much. Fun.” heading and the following “So. Much. Serious.” photo. 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

Brand: Pivot
    Product: ShadowCat Pro XT
    Price: £7,500

No wonder people think they are being priced out.

teethgrinder

That is terrible VFM

Fat-boy-fat

Plus no bike for lofty peeps above 6’2″. Booooo.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

No wonder people think they are being priced out.

That is terrible VFM

I’d suggest if Pivot inform your opinion of either of these things the issue isn’t the price. You’re a likely to find a cheap Pivot as you are a cheap Rolex.

argee

As above, if you’re reading a review for a Pivot, then you can’t really be surprised at the end of it to see a high price tag, the frames are nearly 4k on their own.

There are markets within markets, and the reality is that those looking seriously at this bike are probably looking at it on a shortlist that’ll include a Santa Cruz, Yeti, etc.

hooli

Pivot have always been stupid top end price wise, its hardly a surprise when they release new stuff and it’s expensive.

desperatebicycle

Can I start the use of the phrase “you could get an eBike for that!” please.

No? ok soz. 😛

Akers

So, like a Santa Cruz 5010, with a bit MORE on everything?

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Oh needs a check edit BTW…

tons of travel (up-to-160mm forks, 125mm rear)

and Float Performance 140mm rear makes the Shadowcat pretty tasty for a trail bike.

Unless it’s schrodinger’s shadow cat only one of those things can be true.

timnwild

That’s my fault, that is. Thanks for the spot.

karlp
    Free Member

Tim, you mention how light the bike is several times, and highlight this as a key feature of the bike, yet don’t share what that bike actually weighed.
    Is there a reason for this?
    Are you able to share the weight of that actual bike?
    Cheers.

Blackflag
    Free Member

That looks soooo nice and ideal for my riding. Just need to retrain as an IT contractor so I afford it.

Blackflag
    Free Member

Im not sure about the authors chunky chain necklace though. Does he also sell used caravans?

TheFlyingOx

Pivot have always been stupid top end price wise, its hardly a surprise when they release new stuff and it’s expensive.

Maybe not, but when the article states that the Shadowcat seems to be Pivot’s solution to being “worried that the majority of us – the people with regular jobs, and less-than-perfect riding ability, were leaving Pivot out when they thought about their next bike.”

I doubt anybody with a ‘regular job’ is dropping £7.5k on a bike.

tomhoward

I doubt anybody with a ‘regular job’ is dropping £7.5k on a bike.

Wanna bet?

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

“worried that the majority of us – the people with regular jobs, and less-than-perfect riding ability, were leaving Pivot out when they thought about their next bike.”

Well think of it like this, the evoque was range rover’s solution to the same problem, its still a £32k car.

Most people spending £8k on a bike won’t see themselves as loaded, they just have a different opinion of normal to you and I.

There needs to be a lot of black zeros on your bank balance before you start to think of yourself as well off.

mmannerr

I don’t know about UK prices but my LBS in Helsinki sells the Shadowcat at similar price (~ 6000€) to Specialized Stumpjumper evo Comp or Marin Alpine Trail Carbon 2 in other local shops.

Expensive yes but in line with other brand name bikes.

ShanAndy

Can we have tldr for every review? It’s great.

alanclarke

Nice to have a review that makes me happy with my current bike, and no wish to be poorer – this Pivot sounds much like my four year old trail bike: a touch unfashionably short, but lightweight and fun to ride – though of course mine was half the price of this one

timnwild

I do indeed. Can I interest you in a 1978 soft-top Bedford Rascal? Never been crashed and only stolen twice.

arkike
    Free Member

I like when an honest review tell us that a 27.5 wheel bike is actually more efficient and fun than what the market want to tell you is “better”.
    I don’t have so much fun on my 29er than what I have on my 27.5 bike, and mountain bike is all about fun for me. Perhaps for those who race would prefer a 29er.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Pivot Shadowcat first ride review: lightly outrageous’ is closed to new replies.