Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Pivot Mach 5.7 (inc Carbon) ~ Any Good?
  • P20

This is the 1st non Yeti frame that i’ve seriously considered to replace my 575. It just looks right and it seems to get excellent reviews. Anyone had any experience of them? My original plan was to go for an ASR5, but this is really making me think.

rewski
    Free Member

Stunning bike, lusted over it at the London Bike Show

TheFlyingOx

Yes. I rode one a while back. Despite the wonky headset on that particular bike, it was very, very nice.

P20

I should had added that i’ll be using it for day rides and xc/trail riding

justatheory
    Free Member

Looks a real beauty. longer travel than the ASR5 and uses DW-Link which people rave about.

As always though, don’t get fixated on it without making sure it fits you. A bike can have the best bits, greatest suspension platform etc, but if it doesn’t feel right, it won’t matter.

P20

Looking at the geometry charts, i’d be looking at the 18.5″, which is roughly the same size (couple of mm shorter tt) as the medium 575 i currently have. (despite Pivot suggesting the small)

P20

FlyingOx, how did it handle? My main complaint about my 575 (its 5yrs old and 3 generations ago) is lateral flex when cornering. Its not a major problem in fairness though

AndreyE
    Free Member

I have an aluminum version.

To put it simple – a very, very good bike indeed. And I’ve had many including Trance X, Fuel EX, Intense 5.5, Chumba XCL, Turner Spot (Horst and DWL) etc etc.

Here’s my view on how it compares to DW Spot:

http://forums.mtbr.com/8825816-post20.html

I think all main points can be picked up from there. I like it and though still looking for ways to prevent suspension bottoming overall I think it’s a rippin’ trail machine. Not too AM probably but as a trailbike it is very good.

If your plan was to go ASR5 then supposedly you do a lot of trailriding/XC – this will fit the bill perfectly. It’s a really fast bike but geo numbers make it capable in the rough stuff as well. Recommeded 🙂

TheFlyingOx

Well even though the headset was a bit off, it felt fine. We were bashing down Dumyat near Stirling. Climbed up there first rate, despite wearing a Float 150 up front, and the DW-link was magic when climbing in the seat or out of it. I was as happy on the Pivot as I am on my 160mm Pronghorn coming back down. Very stable, never felt like it was about to kill me, and I certainly didn’t feel any flex at all. If I hadn’t bought my Pronghorn I would now be riding a Pivot 5.7.
    Your best bet, as ever, is to go and test one.

P20

Cheers guys. The kit will be coming off my 575, so definitely a trail/xc build rather than am.

Yeti 575 by ritcheyp20, on Flickr

chipps

We’ve had one in (briefly) for a First Ride and there should be a review up on the site next week. Seems good from here…

mmannerr

I have had my 5.7 bit over a year now, excellent bike except couple of minor issues:
    – PressFit BB is bit weak (3 year warranty on them by Shimano though).
    – lower linkage area collects mud like crazy.

Other than that it is really good but I’d still recommend test ride. The rear suspension does not feel as plush as some and stem/bar setup can require some tinkering to get it right – it has really low front end even with Float 150mm fork.

P20

Chipps, I’m looking forward to reading that one.
    Mmannerr, how’s the tyre clearance? I run 2.25 Nobby Nics. I’m a bit gutted about losing the King BB from the Yeti, but it’s not enough to put me off 😀
    The low front end won’t bother me either

mmannerr

Tyre clearance is almost good enough, I’m running Hans Dampfs now (fat 2.35″) as it is not muddy at the moment. I usually run Fat Alberts and they do fit fine even in the mud.

RustyMac

P20,

The DW suspension system is a bit love or hate, I have an Iron Horse Mk3 and I get on with it really well but a few of the guys i ride with have Yetis (newer shape 575, ASR5) that they love and found the suspension action on my bike a little odd. i’d definately recommend trying to get a test ride to see if it works for you.

mmannerr

I’d say even though the DW suspension is e.g. on Ibis Mojo, Pivot bikes and Turner bikes and despite “same” suspension they feel quite different when riding. I haven’t ridden a Iron Horse but have tested Mojo and 5.7 and the Mojo feels much softer.

P20

I have read that the DW bikes can be marmite and that some people find it tricky to wheelie or get the bike off the deck. I’ll see if i can track one down

mmannerr

Doh, the 5.7 has felt rather playful compared to previous bikes (Superlight and Racer-x) – I’m finallyh getting more comfortable doing wheelies and small drops now that I have been riding MTBs since 90’s.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Pivot Mach 5.7 (inc Carbon) ~ Any Good?’ is closed to new replies.