Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Pivot Firebird – anyone got one?
  • olii
    Free Member

As per the title, has anyone got a newer Pivot Firebird, or had a go on one? How is it, other than expensive?!

They look good as an alternative to a Nomad/Capra etc, but a couple of reviews suggest that while fast they may not feel the most sensitive or playful to ride.

~£3.3k for frame and shock sounds steep too!

fancypants
    Free Member

I’ve got a Switchblade, my second Pivot.

The Capra’s are capable bikes, but Pivots are a different league.

stewartc
    Free Member

Have a Firebird for big bouncy bike duties, they are quick and surprisingly capable for climbing and all day adventures for being 170mm travel bikes.

I’m not too sure about the playful side, it seems fine to me and even on relatively flat trails  it seems to do fine, the only downside I find is the push fit BB and no room for a bottle.

I’m 175cm and running a large for a nice long reach and have a coil fitted (Push), only rode it a couple of times with the original X2 on so cant really comment on that.

Owned a Mach6 in the past and find Pivots to be solid built bikes.

olii
    Free Member

No space for a bottle doesn’t really matter to me, so that’s no drama.

I was also slightly surprised when I saw they had opted for a pushfit BB and am not fully convinced by the justification on their website.

Kahurangi

I was also slightly surprised when I saw they had opted for a pushfit BB

Pivot/Chris Cocalis developed PF92 with Shimano. They would be among the last to drop it.

FWIW my Pivot’s pressfit BB has been fine. No problems, no creaking. HT2 was easier to change though.

Mbnut
    Free Member

OP….  what size would you want.

I know of a ‘as new’ going for a great price and would cover you for warrrenty .

olii
    Free Member

Jon – I didn’t know that, but it certainly makes sense now

Mbnut – I think i’d be after a large

Mbnut
    Free Member

The one I know of is a medium….   he loves it but wants to size up.

jedi

I absolutely love my Pivot mach6. I ride a small

stewartc
    Free Member

Forgot, obligatory picture, get one….

buttersnz
    Free Member

I have the latest 27.5″ version. It’s an amazingly capable bike. The geometry and frame design is spot on. It feels like it was made for me. Climbing is very good. It just trucks up and over anything. It took some time to get the suspension dialled. I used a shockwiz to do that, and run an MRP ramp control cartridge with negative chamber adjustment in the fork, and a decent number of spacers in the shock. It’s sublime on the descents. Very fast, stable and quiet. Not as light and manoeuvrable as something like a Bronson obviously, but for the kind of riding I do, it’s a no brainer to have the extra travel and support. Great bike.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Pivot Firebird – anyone got one?’ is closed to new replies.