Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 194 total)
  • Pivot 24/12 roll call.
  • jam-bo

I am also quite grateful to my wife for having to go to a hen do she couldn’t miss. Last week I was a bit grumpy about missing this, now not so much.

rOcKeTdOg

I have to say my laps were horrific, but at the same time it was the best riding experience I’ve had in all the endurance races I’ve done. I had gear issues like so many others and i lost count of how many riders & spectators helped or offered help. There were no egos out on the course, everyone was in it together & supporting one another, i felt euphoric at the end of my stint & the sense of achievement at surviving was emmense.Martyn and his team must be under so much pressure when conditions are like this but of course nothing they can do about the weather.
    Great weekend despite everything.

superstu
    Free Member

Although it was grim it did make it memorable. I’m glad I did it.

superstu
    Free Member

Also agree with poster above saying I’d rather do it than a dry Mayhem.

cakefest
    Free Member

why is 24/12 better in the wet than Mayhem in the dry?

superstu
    Free Member

why is 24/12 better in the wet than Mayhem in the dry?

Much better course, much better atmosphere, friendlier event, trackside were very encouraging

pictonroad

Finished 12th open male 12hr. Hoped to break into the top ten in my last year before vets but the brake issue knocked my mental strength at the end. Course really held up well for 90% of it in conditions that would close a lot of races. Credit to the team always.

A story of anticipation, deep despair and rebirth.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Love that shot of the back of your head pictonroad, maybe get it tattooed 🙂

adsh
    Free Member

Wow sounds epic.

Do you think Single Speed would have been a good choice or is it too steep?

MrsToast
    Free Member

Do you think Single Speed would have been a good choice or is it too steep?

Saw loads of people on singlespeeders overtaking me, so not impossible! I think Team Sumo were on ss fatbikes?

longmover
    Free Member

I had sleep for a bit during the worst of the rain, got out again in the morning but wrecked a couple of pivot bearings in my frame.

Pictonroad, good to have a chat with you earlier, I was in the camp next to the the sumo boys with the rampaging toddlers

Kip

Home, dry, clean and drinking tea. My word that was fun, for our 12 hour still at least!

Yes it was wet, and I never thought I’d ever say I’d rather it carried on raining, but it made the course more rideable. The sticky, slippy mud outside our camp before the bridge was just soul destroying for so many of the 24HR and Torchbearer riders. Much kudos to you all.

As always, we’ll be back next year.

Mrs Toast, I looked for you but couldn’t see you, hope you’ll give it another go next year. I’ve prebooked the good weather!

amedias
    Free Member

A horrific but enjoyable one this year, my word that rain in the night was terrible! I was out ona 3 lap stint for our team when it came in, could barely see a thing and got totally drenched to the core!

Well done everyone who stuck it out and slogged round, there were notable fewer people out as the race went on, I think a LOT of people chucked it in early this year…

Double awesome result for us this weekend though our mens team (Open 24hr) got on the podium in 3rd place, and our womens 12hr also got on the podium with 3rd and it was my Wifes first EVER mtb race so super chuffed with that!

richmars

Even with the rain, it was still rideable, and enjoyable in an odd, perverted way. Great fun cheering all the keen riders who didn’t stop when we did, I hope we helped a bit.

amedias
    Free Member

Yes you did, the encouragement from strangers and general atmosphere is what makes this event what it is, and sometimes it’s the only thing that keeps you going!

rOcKeTdOg

pictonroad

Cracking photos. 😆

It’s this bit I hate, the mud removal and drying, at least I have a ‘helper’…

stumpy01

Home but not unpacked. We jacked it in around 10pm last night…
    The rain was horrific.

We were camping on the off camber U-turn of doom that had a nasty rise out of it in the field.
    It just got worse and worse.
    Most people who went past were cursing it…!

Ended up shouting ‘wide line’, ‘stay wide’ and ‘pedal pedal pedal’ an awful lot.

Also helped people with chain suck, rear mech issues and empty water bottles!

Another good event, but after every year for 10 years I think this one will be our last… 🙁

mattbee

Was both fun and horrific, just not sure of the ratio.
    We were in open team & managed to keep going until about half 4 in the morning but a lack of brake pads, contact lenses & general willingness to continue saw us stop, huddle round the log burner & drink a few beers instead. Still managed 19th place though.
    The course was great with the exception of the campsite bit & the last slog into the arena. The descents were fantastic especially at circa midnight when you just needed to ride the wettest line be to get some decent speed & grip.
    I did have a total light failure on my second night lap just after the river crossing which was ‘interesting’, having to latch onto people’s back wheels to use their lights although it seemed to make the Off camber Hill of doom easier as I couldn’t see how slippery it was!
    Much respect to those who carried on to the bitter end especially the solo riders. Definitely Type 2 fun…

notmyrealname
    Free Member

Well that was interesting!

I sacked it off halfway through the 12h solo race and decided to go for the more sensible option of beer and a pizza instead.
    The course was good, rode surprisingly well considering the amount of mud out there.

Hopefully it’ll be dry again next year.

MrsToast
    Free Member

Mrs Toast, I looked for you but couldn’t see you, hope you’ll give it another go next year. I’ve prebooked the good weather!

Definitely, it left me keen rather than traumatised like MM 2012!

Found some interesting bruises tonight, to go with my scratches and cuts!

egb81
    Free Member

Ended up shouting ‘wide line’, ‘stay wide’ and ‘pedal pedal pedal’ an awful lot.

Thanks for the advice. By the time I came across you sitting there I was a broken wreck so didn’t get to say cheers beyond a muted grunt.

For a first time 24hr race it was, ahem, interesting. The 3.30am shift was pretty grim bit certainly an experience. My wheels locked up with the sheer amount of mud clinging to my bike! Mostly due to the efforts of my team mates we secured 2nd in Men’s Vets team and 4th overall. Pretty chuffed with that.

Saccades
    Free Member

Hard, went to quit after 4 laps, discovered I was in 4th and killed myself keeping it. War of attrition that worked in my favour

Lot of campers here tonight, way more than last year.

Great event, seriously marly clag all around, managed to otb on my first lap in that pot hole on River run.

Yak

Great weekend. Yes weather was awful for a bit, but it didn’t really put a damper (ho ho) on things for us. The kids stage racing was awesome, especially the elimination crit. Properly exciting racing aided by the free beer for us parents. The main race was good; we all binned it a few times in the mud, and a few rear mechs and pads suffered, but other than that all ok, albeit some exciting descents in the ever changing course conditions. Mrs Toast – I think I may have given you a hand back upright on the cottage return. Green bike?
    Overall, a kids stage race win and a 2nd, 5th and another 5th or 6th I think between us lot. Congratulations to Martyn and his team for another top 24:12.

MrsToast
    Free Member

Mrs Toast – I think I may have given you a hand back upright on the cottage return. Green bike?

Yes, that was me, wiggling like an overturned beetle and blocking the way! 😆 Went left to let people by, but it was a terrible line and I went over. Annoying, as I nearly did exactly the same on my first lap (didn’t go over that time though!)

MrsToast
    Free Member

(Thanks again BTW!)

Yak

No prob!! Good to hear it is only cuts and bruises and that you are keen for next year. It really is lovely (even more so!) in the dry. See you then. 🙂

tlr

After a slightly unfulfilling 2015 attempt at the solo where I managed 18 laps, and was eventually beaten by the wet Sunday morning I thought I’d sign up again or another go at the solo.

It can’t be that wet again can it I thought…..

Only managed 13 laps this time, once the tea breaks in between laps were taking longer than the laps I thought it might be time to stop – about 7am I think.

I just couldn’t face any more of that infield bogfest. Other than that the course held up ok, and got easier as it got wetter (apart from the stream return of course).

Excellent atmosphere and great organisation again.

Can the next Pivot 24 please be up north, where it’s drier and not a 14 hour round trip for me?

colin9

Was anyone here riding singlespeed? What gear ratios were you running?

I started singlespeed but blew my freehub on the first lap and had to ride the rest on a borrowed bike, and so I’m still unsure if my gearing would have been a bit stiff by the time the exhaustion arrived.

rOcKeTdOg

Steve Day was running 33×18 iircon a plus bike, he is super human and was doing cliff climb sat down 😯

rexated
    Free Member

Last time I did a 24hour race was at the same venue, in the dry, 3 years ago. And I swore ‘never again’.

But now, after the worst conditions I’ve raced in, I’m left thinking last weekend was absolutely epic, can’t wait to do another. How the hell does that work???

Other riders were so so polite, making way to be overtaken even if that meant leaving the barely discernible ‘line’ into the slippery clag-bog. Thanks to everyone for being so considerate, it was blitz spirit out there!

My team (southfork racing) took the win in Open 24 by two laps – wooohoooo! Maybe that colours my recollection of how bad it was a bit 😀

Bedds
    Free Member

I raced 12hr pair off zero training on a Capra. I did four hours and then called it quits, kinda wished I’d done more, but to be honest, it’s left me with a mad desire to do the 12hr solo next year on a more suitable bike.

Massively humbling to see the guys still out turning pedals on sunday morning

Great event, even in the rain 🙂

wonnyj
    Free Member

Cottage return was an absolute blast in the wet.

The bombholes above it, not so much. Bit of a pinball machine in that you didn’t know which way it would spit you out.

I was mainly pitting for a 24hr rider but managed two laps – one in sticky mud, then after some rain another in the slop.

Yak

Mrs Yak here. Would like to say thanks to rider 204 who pulled me out of a ditch by the smiley rock before the bomb holes when I miss judged the inside line.

Yak

Mrs Yak here again. My first 24hr solo. Gutted not to go the distance – went to bed after 14.5hrs. Got up and the sun was shining so went out again in the clag for one last lap. Epic. Thank Martyn and team. Awesome. I’ll be back for another crack at it next year.

amedias
    Free Member
    stumpy01

Nice. He got a good one of me in the ‘muddy hell’ gallery.

Think I’ll be ordering the download in the morning.

40mpg

I’ve got unfinished business now. Signed up for my first 24hr solo but broke my mech on lap 3 so that was game over.

As others have said, despite the conditions it seemed much more fun than any of the mayhems (and I’ve done 10 of them).

So much support all round the Course, but then it helps wearing a sumo suit! That’s the only advantage though. It was very absorbent and after lap 2 was so heavy I could hardly stand up. Add on a fatbike so full of mud the wheels wouldn’t turn and was so heavy I couldn’t lift it. Apologies to the photographer who’s light I collapsed onto by the bombholes! Hope it was alright!

Spent the rest of the time cheering riders on from the sumo disco tent, hope it helped you all keep going a bit! Can’t believe how smiley a lot of people were, even in the small hours.

After the Race, all the kids in the campsite seemed to descend on the sumo jump of doom, had a lovely day in the sun watching some incredibly skilled little nippers. The future of mountain biking is looking good if that’s any indicator!

So anyway we’ve already decided we’ll be back next year for another go. Fingers crossed for dryer trails though!

Finally many thanks to Martyn and the team for putting on such a superb event and keeping the showers working!

Saccades
    Free Member

Who was the lady taking photos on the Sunday morning, was in a lot of good places taking a lot of shots?

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 194 total)

The topic ‘Pivot 24/12 roll call.’ is closed to new replies.