Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)
  • Pity the apostrophe.
  • CountZero

You can all read these sentences and make sense of them so do we really need apostophes any more?

Of course you can, but comprehension is much easier with correct punctuation, and there are situations where lack of punctuation can have significant consequences.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Pity the apostrophe.

Pity the colon. It got the arse end of the deal.

whitestone
    Free Member

OK, with “your” and “you’re”, if you got rid of the apostrophe then you either have the new word “youre” or the word “your” now has two meanings and usages. You’ve introduced unnecessary complexity and confusion.

Something is written once but read many times so if you introduce uncertainty or doubt via bad writing then for the ease of one you’ve created extra work for many.

It’s akin to asking a question on here in text speak and then moaning that no-one is answering.

Maybe George Orwell was right about Newspeak 🙄

Drac

OK, with “your” and “you’re”, if you got rid of the apostrophe then you either have the new word “youre” or the word “your” now has two meanings and usages. You’ve introduced unnecessary complexity and confusion.

You are.

There we have solved that none issue.

whitestone
    Free Member

But people aren’t writing “you are” they are writing “your” so you haven’t solved anything. And we haven’t even got to the possessive apostrophe!

zanelad
    Free Member

They,re fallen apostrophes. Cast from the light of the Punctuation God’s.

God’s what?

scaredypants

wwaswas – Member
    I blame the parentheses

<doff’s cap>

Drac

But people aren’t writing “you are” they are writing “your” so you haven’t solved anything. And we haven’t even got to the possessive apostrophe!

It makes it far clearer so people are less likely to make that mistake, as now it doesn’t sound the same. That’s why I occasionally do it part of my dyslexia is that I use words that sound the same. If they don’t sound the same I’m unlikely to make a mistake.

technicallyinept
    Free Member

[video]https://youtu.be/tj7IdnwcrV8[/video]
    This song is less helpful than I remember

Mister-P
    Free Member

My colleague always starts emails “I hope your well”. No idea what he wants to know about my well. It’s rather a moot point though as I don’t have a well.

FeeFoo
    Free Member

Generally speaking, making communication as simple as possible means it becomes more inclusive.
    In other words, if the language is simplified more people can communicate effectively.

Whislt I’m not suggesting there are no examples of sentences where correct grammar and punctuation are essential, I generally see examples where poor grammar is picked up for no other reason than to point out errors.

Comprehension in these cases is usually very easy.

GrahamS

Generally speaking, making communication as simple as possible means it becomes more inclusive.
    In other words, if the language is simplified more people can communicate effectively.

And this is where that ends up: https://www.bbc.com/pidgin

zippykona

BobaFatt
    Free Member

Mister-P
    Free Member

Perhaps that person also has a b whore, one that’s not quite as good?

DickBarton

I thought there were only 12 of them…and Judas betrayed them…

dannybgoode

I blame the parentheses.

And a bravo from me for this one 😀

Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘Pity the apostrophe.’ is closed to new replies.