Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • Pitchforks at the ready! Speed awareness course content
  • ebygomm
    Free Member

The traffic light signs?

sbob
    Free Member

I only learnt of it’s 60mph limit when some ravers parked their cars on it and the police said it was foolish on a road with 60 limit.

How is that not a dual carriageway?
    Policemen often make mistakes, my friend was once pulled over for doing 38 in a 40 (officer thought it was a 30 limit).

Harry_the_Spider

I did one a few years back.

There was a bloke there that was so stupid and irritating that I was convinced he was a plant (from the neck up), sent in there to deter people from speeding again and having to spend another 5 hours with people like him.

ourmaninthenorth

derestricted

I used that word. Trainer chuckled at me and asked how old I was. I had to explain I’d learned it from my parents. Made me sound even more of the class tw-t.

GrahamS

> derestricted

I used that word. Trainer chuckled at me and asked how old I was.

A quick googling suggests it’s pretty common, even on .gov websites.

It’s not entirely accurate as they obviously do have a restriction but are we really supposed to say “roads where the national speed limit applies” instead? That’s a bit of a mouthful.

gee68
    Free Member

@ ebygomm:

I was talking about the lights that flash up telling you to slow down even though you’re nowhere near the speed limit.
    Im heading towards Hucknall from Kirkby if im confusing you slightly.

ebygomm
    Free Member

The slow down ones flash a picture of traffic lights, ime they’re not triggered exclusively by speed and are somehow related to the traffic light timings

ourmaninthenorth

but are we really supposed to say “roads where the national speed limit applies” instead?

Apparently so, because – and I quote – “At the end of the day there are different national speed limits for different vehicles, mmkay?”

(I admit to having been labouring under the misapprehension that a dual carriageway had to be separated by a reservation (knew that) with multiple lanes per side. But only, I think, because I’ve never knowingly seen one that has single lanes.)

GrahamS

“At the end of the day there are different national speed limits for different vehicles, mmkay?”

And how does “derestricted” not convey that? What a bellend. (him not you)
    I suspect the sanctimony is part of the punishment 😀

gee68
    Free Member

My appologies then i haven’t been down there for a while,i thought they flashed up to tell you to slow down. 😳
    The lights at the bottom of the hill do seem to be triggered by speed(for me anyway)but don’t seem to be consistant as i’ve seen people hammer it down there and the lights haven’t changed.

simmy
    Free Member

Policemen often make mistakes, my friend was once pulled over for doing 38 in a 40 (officer thought it was a 30 limit).

An Instructor friend of mine got pulled for driving in a Bus Lane.

He allowed the Police Officer to start writing the ticket before, very mannerly, pointing out that the Bus Lane was only in operation from 7.30am – 10am and that it was 11am……

shotsaway
    Free Member

I have to do one every two years as a condition of my employment. I went through the session run by AA Drivetech only two weeks ago, so everything is fresh again! My employer insists the reason we do it is to make us safer drivers but apparently the compulsory course makes a massive difference to our insurance premiums 😉

FWIW – AA Drivetech run the Thames Valley Police sessions and they always make you think about your driving style.

The main things I learn’t from the other attendees were:

Most people don’t know what a dual-carriageway is.

For nearly 20 years, I thought 2 lanes in each direction was a dual carriageway but i didn’t realise that for the road to be a dual carriageway it had to have a central reservation :$

Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Pitchforks at the ready! Speed awareness course content’ is closed to new replies.