Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)
  • Pitchforks at the ready! Speed awareness course content
  • ourmaninthenorth

Yeah, I’m a hypocrite 🙂 Just about to go and repent the error of my ways….

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Better than points matey! 🙂

And they are meant to be quite interesting so I hear.

jota180
    Free Member

I’d take the fine and points

Madfly
    Free Member

This should set your mood well beforehand…

xcgb
    Free Member

I did one as its better than points, just be prepared for some REALLY bitter people! (unless you are one of them)

I leant some stuff, did it make me slow down? probably not TBH

Cougar

I did one a while back.

The single most interesting thing about the whole experience for me was the sheer stupidity of some of the other ‘students’. Some of the things they came out with were staggering, I actually burst out laughing at one point.

xcgb
    Free Member

Madfly

LOL Yes I was worried it would be like that but it wasnt at all (it is 7hrs or so though!)

scaled
    Free Member

Mine was at Northants cricket ground, while there was a 4 day game on 8)

pleaderwilliams
    Free Member

My mum did one, crashed the next day.

LoCo
    Free Member

Did one a few years ago, it appeared to be attended by nazis, the best comment after watching a video of a cyclist running a red light was

‘it’d be better if he got killed now than before he got a car’ 😯 not being given to violence but could have happily punched them in the face reapeatly for that and some of the other crap they came out with about how it should be a faster speed limit etc.

from one of the other attendees, it was only myself and a couple of others that seemed to realise that we’d actually done anything wrong and actually shut up and took in what they were saying. 👿

elzorillo
    Free Member

Mine was full of hot young ladies 😀

hammerite
    Free Member

I did one a couple of years ago. Found it really interesting. Covered loads of stuff I didn’t really know, they should really make every new driver do it at some point.

One guy on the course made out that I was more of a villain than he as I was further over he speed limit than he was. I’d got caught doing 72 in a 60. He got caught doing 39 in a 30. I pointed out that I was only 20% over the speed limit, while he was 30% over and had a greater chance of causing harm to a pedestrian. We were both nobbers really.

elzorillo
    Free Member

Apart from the eye candy.. The only benefit I got from mine was the realization I’d been driving 10mph TOO SLOW on dual carriageways for the past 20+ years.

hammerite
    Free Member

Another thing, the instructor was talking about people time trialling on the A1 at one point, saying how stupid it was. I just looked down and kept quiet, as did another guy from my cycling club who was coincidentally on the same course (our club organises a TT on the A1).

ourmaninthenorth

Here now. Most worrying is the BO in the waiting room. Is there a secret “no washing” rule for these things no-one told me about?

jota180
    Free Member

It’ll help to break the ice if you mention that if you hadn’t put your boot down a bit you’d have been late.

brooess
    Free Member

I knew why I was there – because I’d been driving too fast through a 30 limit. (I had a lot of work stress at the time and hadn’t realised the industrial estate I was driving through was a 30 limit). I knew driving too fast was dangerous so didn’t think I’d learn much… (not to be arrogant, I just knew speeding was breaking the law)

In fact I learned loads about how to drive more safely. Things like everyone’s reaction time is about the same (7 hundreds of a second apparently). Or that people who tailgate are just lonely 🙂

I’m more conscious about my driving these days. Causes plenty of problems when I insist on doing 30 in a 30 limit, seems to upset the people behind me!

GrahamS

The only benefit I got from mine was the realization I’d been driving 10mph TOO SLOW on dual carriageways for the past 20+ years.

Wish you’d come and explain that one to the drivers of Northumberland, who generally seem to think that the speed limit is either 52 or 90.

Also if you can explain that “dual carriageway” doesn’t mean any road with two lanes, that would also be great! 😀

ourmaninthenorth

So far so good. A few trogoladytes, but generally quite informative (stopping distances).

CountZero

Did one, preferable to points, and it was quite interesting. I did learn why some cameras seem to be in places just to raise money, like the notorious Batheaston Bypass camera near Bath; the legislation allows for a camera to be within 2Km of a given blackspot, so as the blackspot was the village of Batheaston, when the bypass to avoid the blackspot was built, a camera was installed on the dual carriageway about 2Km away from the danger point. And the bypass had a 50mph limit imposed, as well. Make your own conclusions about what the justification for that camera was…
    It’s now switched off.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Wife did one on Friday and raved.

Mates raved about recent ones over the weekend.

Mother did one yesterday and hated it!!! Mainly due to appalling presentation skills (sic) of the guy and his inability to listen!!! Didn’t mention the BO.

Despite my mother’s reaction, I think they sound excellent and would attend one happily. Can you do that?

ourmaninthenorth

I’ll ask if you can do them voluntarily.

Cougar

Not a troll but,

I do wonder if the people thinking it was very helpful were people who really needed the course in the first place.

ourmaninthenorth

Phrase of the night started right at the beginning: “At the end of the day, let’s make a start.”

Impatience – reason I was there! – got the better of me and I became the class pet answering all the questions just to get it over with.

And, being the sole cyclist, only I knew what SMIDSY meant. What a t–t!

ourmaninthenorth

Oh yes, can’t do this voluntarily (in Lancs). Apparently there are other training courses available, though.

Anyway, there wasn’t much about speed – mainly driving skills and hazard perception, which was interesting.

matthewjb
    Free Member

I did one a few months back.

The main things I learn’t from the other attendees were:

[list][*]Most people don’t know what a dual-carriageway is.[/*]
    [*]Most people don’t know the speed limits[/*]
    [*]Doing 38 in a 30 is OK. Speeding on a motorway is bad.[/*][/list]

All in it was better than getting 3 points. (You don’t avoid the fine because you have to pay to attend)

br
    Free Member

+1

Most people didn’t know the actual speed limits.

And at the beginning the (ex-cop) presenter asked “why we were all here?”

No one answered so I put my hand up, “cos we got caught!”

Also they went on and on about how poor young drivers were, but they obviously don’t speed / get caught as the average age was near 50.

jools182
    Free Member

I’ve done one, would have been ok except for the supercilious bloke presenting it

mark90
    Free Member

I read some statistics somewhere (yeh I know statistics can be used to show whaterver you want) which suggested that the drivers who end up on the speed awareness courses are often amongst the safest drivers, from an accident staistics pov. The seriously reckless drivers who excessively speed don’t qualify for the awareness courses, only those who just speed a bit can go on the course. Most compotent, safe and confident drivers will drive at or slightly above the speed limit and hence if caught will mostly likely end up on an awreness course. Less comptent/confident drivers will often be slower. The suggestion was that the two extemes where most likely to have accidents, but those in the middle end up on the courses. However going by those on my course, it’s much like mentioned above, a good proprortion actually had little idea about the actual rules of the road, even some who where ‘profesional’ drivers.

xcgb
    Free Member

So how much did everyone pay for their punishment then? I paid £90 in surrey

GrahamS

Most people don’t know what a dual-carriageway is.
    Most people don’t know the speed limits

Just because I know some of those people will be reading this thread and may not even realise they qualify:

It’s not a dual carriageway unless there is a central reservation separating you from oncoming traffic. The number of lanes in either direction is irrelevant.

The speed limit for cars on derestricted dual-carriageway is 70.
    60 for single carriageways.

Limits for towing and vehicles vary: https://www.gov.uk/speed-limits

ski
    Free Member

ourmaninthenorth – Member

So far so good. A few trogoladytes, but generally quite informative (stopping distances).

Please tell me you are posting this from your phone while listening, that would be so funny 😉

joao3v16
    Free Member

I think they sound excellent and would attend one happily. Can you do that?

Yes, the enrolment process involves driving around really fast until a letter drops on your doormat asking you to attend a course or pay a fine.

ebygomm
    Free Member

When is a dual carriageway not a dual carriageway?

When it’s two dual lane one way roads separated by a forest

GrahamS

When it’s two dual lane one way roads separated by a forest

Yeah it’s interesting that isn’t it?

I can think of a few dual carriageways where the central reservation expands to the point where the two carriageways are effectively two different roads.

You would hope that means they continue to be 70mph limits, but no idea what the legality actually is in that case.

DezB
    Free Member

I’d take the fine and points

I did. It was cheaper.
    It still pisses me off everytime I drive past the place where I got stopped – NO-ONE goes 30mph! No-one! (Not even me! (on my bike!))

Cougar

I can think of a few dual carriageways where the central reservation expands to the point where the two carriageways are effectively two different roads.

You would hope that means they continue to be 70mph limits, but no idea what the legality actually is in that case. It must be, surely.

The M62 doesn’t stop being a motorway when it splits in the middle to go round that farm.

ebygomm
    Free Member

The one local to me has a 60 limit (not signed) and one way signs.

ebygomm
    Free Member

A611 between Hucknall and Annesley

I only learnt of it’s 60mph limit when some ravers parked their cars on it and the police said it was foolish on a road with 60 limit. I asked a question on here because I’d always presumed it was 70

gee68
    Free Member

If it’s 60mph down Annesley road why o why do those stupid signs start flashing like mad at you the moment you break 50mph,**** annoying.
    Nice downhill stretch of road though on a road bike. 😀

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Pitchforks at the ready! Speed awareness course content’ is closed to new replies.