Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Pirrelli tyres
  • matt_outandabout

Another new tyre brand.
    And I can’t believe I read the article and thought ‘£50, not bad’.

First Ride Review | Pirelli Scorpion MTB Tyre – ‘Eliminates Climate Variables’

DezB
    Free Member

Hm.. interesting. £50 is probably about average these days. There’s a lot of tyres to choose from.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Reads like a decent tyre.

To be honest, £47-£50 is lower the average I’d say for tyres these days and those are RRP, CRC will be £40 I’d guess which is pretty good for a fancy front, a comparable Maxxis will be £65-£70.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

if £50 is the RRP, it’s probably pretty much below average….

andybrad

looks very xc

DezB
    Free Member

It’s above the average of what I pay 😉

tpbiker
    Free Member

50 quid is cheap for an mtb tyre nowadays??! Dear Lord, I’ve not bought one in a while but last time I did (about a year ago) it was a magic mary trailstar, and it cost me 30 quid.

munrobiker
    Free Member

Is it just me or do they look very low on tread for a tyre that claims to be all purpose?

mboy
    Free Member

“Pirelli”… Single “r”… 😉

50 quid is cheap for an mtb tyre nowadays??!

I don’t think anybody has said it’s cheap, but most top end MTB tyres are now in the £50-£70 price bracket at RRP… If you’re happy running tyre designs that are a few years old, or only waiting for when a model is on clearout at 1/2 price on CRC, then of course you can pay a lot less.

Dear Lord, I’ve not bought one in a while but last time I did (about a year ago) it was a magic mary trailstar, and it cost me 30 quid

I can assure you that a £30 Magic Mary was an exception, not the norm… £54.99 RRP on that tyre, in fact, the trade cost is significantly more than you paid!

Is it just me or do they look very low on tread for a tyre that claims to be all purpose?

Italian company… They seem to be positioning themselves more at the XC/Marathon end of the market so far (in tune with European MTB habits, and the 100mm travel FS Canyon test bike that Stu was on). I like the look of the rear with the “S” up front, for general trail riding, though if we’re talking “Enduro” typre riding, I don’t think Maxxis or Schwalbe will be worries just yet.

Funny how recently both Goodyear and Pirelli have decided to get into the Bicycle tyre game, and Michelin who hadn’t really done anything for years are now putting a lot of effort into their tyres again! It’s worth remembering that Maxxis occupy the budget end of the market when it comes to car or Motorcycle tyres, yet they’re very much a premium MTB choice! I wonder if these premium car/motorcycle brands will make much impact on the market this time round, or will it just be a flash in the pan?

matt_outandabout

No, it’s not just you on the tread.

I too try not to pay more than £30. But seing as Maxxis, Michelin and Schwalbe are all £60-90 RRP, these seem ‘cheap’…

DickBarton

Nah, that ain’t cheap for a tyre…no doubt the research and testing will cost but given the knowledge they already have and the volumes they’ll shift, the tyre could be cheaper (maybe 40 quid – still a fair chunk for a tyre for a push bike). They don’t as they know the public will buy it at that price and many won’t flinch…those that do will either wait for sales or buy something else.

glenh
    Free Member

I always buy Specialized tyres these days.
    £37 RRP Can obviously pick them up for less.

edhornby

surprised no-one mentioned on-one yet. Chunky and Smorg are £25 each (and sometimes cheaper) so these need to be 100% betterer

jmatlock
    Free Member

I always find it mad that people will skill and save on tyres. Properly good tyres are worth their weight in gold.

geex
    Free Member

Stick to car tyres or employ someone who understands mtb tyre tread design Pirelli

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Tyres must be the bane of a bike shops life. If I ran one I wouldn’t bother them. So many different sizes, widths & compounds & prices all over the place.

RRP’s are bonkers, and people are endlessly mugging them out cheap. I get tyres at less than trade for the team I ride for, and they still cost more than some 29er DHR2 2.4 3C WT’s I picked up on CRC for £28.49. The RRP on them is £69.99.

DickBarton

I think I’m not understanding the tyre size options…Looks like only 2.4 and 2.6 in 27.5 size…is that right?

jmatlock
    Free Member

The new Goodyear tyres are £99.99 each at retail.

DezB
    Free Member

Looks like only 2.4 and 2.6 in 27.5 size

I swear there was a chart when I looked.

Goodyear can go swivel. Comedians.

jmatlock
    Free Member

Those new Goodyear tyres are amazing to be fair!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Pirrelli tyres’ is closed to new replies.