Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Piriform Syndrome pain
  • scud
    Free Member

Morning all..

Any one suffered this? The pain for me on side of hip into glute, and seems to be piriform syndrome from overdoing it on the turbo.

Looked at the best stretches to tackle it and taking ibuprofen, but wondered if i should completely take time from bike, or just do some easy zone 1 pedalling so leg is still going through the motions along with the stretching?

Flaperon

Do you carry anything in your back pocket?

scud
    Free Member

@flaperon, nope only started since i bought decent turbo in January and been using it a lot, nothing in pockets at all.

Superficial
    Free Member

How confident are you that your setup on the turbo is decent? Most people are less dynamic on the turbo, compared with real life, I think, making setup issues more significant.

scud
    Free Member

@superficial not extremely confident now, its not something i have ever suffered normally on bike and I have done some really long days in saddle (500km in a day etc) . I think it may come from stationary position and using my old more worn shoes maybe.

I am doing the recommended stretches for it and ibuprofen, just wondered if people thought it was best to completely avoid cycling for a while, or to keep hip moving and do some light pedalling so joint is moving?

MrSparkle

I’ve got it. Had it on and off for years. Worse this time. I went to see a Sports Physio who gave me a very thorough examination. Turns out my left leg is 20mm longer than my right. I had surgery on my right knee several years ago and that has caused shrinkage, genetics and old age has done the rest. I’ve got exercises to do and an appointment with Musculoskeletal coming up soon.
    My advice – see a Physio. A good one.

danjthomas
    Free Member

Ive had this for years which got worse as a result of spending more time seated over lockdown.

I have spent 5 months doing physio to get the glute activated and also build it up. I had one small glute and one tiny glute 2 which meant that i was sitting on a nerve and also the piriformis did the work that the lazy glute should have. After 1 month was good with bigger gains about 5 months in.

Work finding a good physio. If you south wales based PM me for a good recommendation.

Whilst Pilates is good etc the internet will do your head in for solutions where actually the exercises ive been doing are nice and easy and quick

scud
    Free Member

Thanks all.

Been meaning to have a bike fit for a while, there is one guy near me who is physio/ bike fitter, so may book an appointment with him. Years of rugby mean I have strong glutes, but i have had a lot of back and knee injuries, so between that and large increase in workload may be the problem

13thfloormonk

Yeah, I think the basics are adjust slowly to any change in position on the bike or training intensity, I’ve been enjoying a greater familiarity with the drop bars recently thanks to a bike fit and a saddle change, but going from an upright position to suddenly going everywhere on the drops has definitely upset my piriformis, or ischial bursa or something. Are you spending more time stretched out or even on the drops whilst on the turbo?

Whilst Pilates is good etc the internet will do your head in for solutions where actually the exercises ive been doing are nice and easy and quick

I was tempted to say similar, whatever is *actually* wrong with you, good money says they’ll have you doing some gluteus medius exercises (clams, side lying leg raises, resistance band squats or monster walks) and probably throw in some glute bridges for good measure!

scud
    Free Member

Thanks 13thfloormonk, i actually have mountain bike on turbo, so position isn’t extreme, i did so as largest event this year is on MTB in distance and climbing wise, so thought i would.

And often ride road and gravel bikes in “the wild” so it’s not the extreme position, i think maybe it is the large increase in volume from riding outside 2-3 times a week, to on turbo and weight training 5-6 times a week at higher intensities

scaredypants

Self-diagnosed, but I had it end of 2021, not entirely sure why – but I’m blaming a really really really muddy cross race where a lot of running was done (I hate running so I don’t do it).

Worsened over a couple of months and was really bad for a while (I didn’t ride for 4wk and didn’t ride hard for maybe 8)

I didn’t see a physio and didn’t do anything “clever” apart from resting it and taking lots of ibuprofen

Maybe you (well me anyway) can take that as worst case scenario.  It has totally “gone” now

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.