Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Pipedream Cycles The Full Moxie review
  • amandawishart

Pipedream Cycles The Full Moxie is a 4130 CroMo, single pivot, full suspension bike that can be run as a 29er, 650b or mullet.

By amandawishart

Get the full story here:

Pipedream Cycles The Full Moxie review

BadlyWiredDog

How does it compare to a Cotic, given that it’s the most obvious comparison?

ps: looks great to me, though I think Pipedream’s images flatter the bike more than the ones in the article:

matt_outandabout

Pipedream sure do make some nice looking bikes and have a cracking eye for what colours to paint them.

chakaping
    Free Member

How does it compare to a Cotic, given that it’s the most obvious comparison?

Or a Starling.

I considered one, but ended up with a Murmur. A friend has one of these and loves it, but I’ve not ridden it in anger.

Is a good-looking bike IRL.

pigyn
    Free Member

Haha what a blast from the past. I still have beef with this, it keeps me up at night. Getting marked down on your build kit for specing DHF/DHR when they are the control tyres for many other reviews, and being a miss match of components with ‘all the brands’. If this were an off the peg bike from a major brand, I bet the headset manufacturer would still be different to the bars, and the saddle different again still. In fact the only thing that’s likely to be the same would be rims, they would likely be a full DT wheelset. That said, WTB with any brands hubs is a popular OEM choice. Anyone else think this is a disjointed spec? And I don’t mean ‘what you would choose’ which is obviously different. This was supposed to be our suit-many-best-performing-mechanics-pick spec 🤷 BTW the Chromag rims are amazing.

Frame // Custom-butted, heat-treated 4130 CroMo
    Fork // DVO Diamond D1 160mm
    Shock // DVO Topaz T3
    Hubs // DT Swiss 350
    Rims // Chromag Phase 30
    Tyres // Maxxis Minion DHR 2.4in WT / DHF 2.6in
    Chainset // Shimano Deore XT
    Rear Mech // Shimano Deore XT
    Shifters // Shimano Deore XT
    Cassette // Shimano Deore XT Microspline 10-51T
    Brakes // Shimano Deore XT 4-piston, 180mm rotors
    Stem // OneUp 40mm
    Bars // OneUp Carbon 760mm
    Grips // Ergon GA2
    Seatpost // OneUp 180mm
    Saddle // Ergon
    Size Tested // Long
    Sizes Available // Long, Longer

el_boufador

bottle position sucks

zerocool

Minions are awesome.
    And I’d love to hear how it compares to the Starling or Cotic

chakaping
    Free Member

Haha what a blast from the past. I still have beef with this, it keeps me up at night. Getting marked down on your build kit for specing DHF/DHR when they are the control tyres for many other reviews, and being a miss match of components with ‘all the brands’.

Unless the review has been amended since it was first published, I think you’re perhap being a bit over-sensitive.

Granted, it’s not great reviewing to say “I wish it had my usual brakes” and there are some odd turns of phrase throughout – but I’m not a fan of the DHF in mixed conditions either and we all like to blame our tyres, don’t we?

t0mislav

Minion DHFs get love in Colorado/Cali but not so much in softer wetter places. The 2.6 DHF in particular suffers from a bigger “drift zone” gap between the center and side tread. I don’t think criticizing this choice is off base, as they’re not the best for mixed conditions. What compound were they? Minion DHR is a great front or rear tire choice in 3C MaxxGrip, but in 3C MaxxTerra only good as a rear tire, or in front for dry conditions.  The dual compound (often OEM) Minions kinda suck in general. Can we agree on these nuances? It’s not as simple as “Minions are great” or “Minions are hype.” MaxxGrip Minion DHRs are a great traction tire, full stop. After that fact rating Minions is more complicated, and I haven’t even mentioned the width and casing options. Maxxis should simplify all this somehow… and I don’t know how.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.