Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Pinnicle arkose 3 tires please?
  • mikeclarke
    Free Member

So iv finally got my wheels from superstar and iv just put some new nano 700 X 40 tires on. They look ace but on spinning them the rear tire is touching the damn front mech…

So who has one and what tires can be recommended for the rear please with enough space to clear and not block the mech with mud??

Thanks

johnnystorm

Whoops. Running Nanos on my Arkose with no issues. Are your new rims really wide? I’m using Alpkit Orbits.

mikeclarke
    Free Member

mikeclarke
    Free Member

They are the 19mm xcx wheels I’m miffed as just looked at the alpit ones and they are 19mm the same?? Are u running the 40s?

How much clearance have u on the front mech or are you running single ring up front

mikeclarke
    Free Member

Maybe I should run it 1 X 10 that way I could use these tires and loose the front mech?

johnnystorm

40s here and running 2×11 with 105 and a cx50 chainset. Nothing has ever rubbed.

johnnystorm

Mines a 2015 Arkose 4 fwiw.

Shackleton

I have a similar setup (2015) and the Nanos rubbed. From memory I put the cable retaining bolt in the mech lever arm through from the other side and clamped the cable on the front of the mech rather than the normal position. I had to adjust the gears a bit to account for the altered cable length but it seemed to work. I may have also fractional rotated the mech.

mikeclarke
    Free Member

Cheers guys scratching my head with it but smethings to try before I buy a new tire 🙂

jameso

2015-2016 bike with Nano 40s and 11s FD – should be clearance with a std road chainset. If it’s coming over closer to the tyre is it the outer ring that’s too far over?

ampthill

From memory I put the cable retaining bolt in the mech lever arm through from the other side and clamped the cable on the front of the mech rather than the normal position

That sounds like a good plan

2015-2016 bike with Nano 40s and 11s FD – should be clearance with a std road chainset. If it’s coming over closer to the tyre is it the outer ring that’s too far over?

Mines a 2016 Arkose 2 so Tiagra. I’d say it looks like the Tiagra mech gives a touch less clearance than that 11 speed mech. With 2 different 35mm tyres my clearance is about what you have their james. I think latest Tiagra has the same pull ratio thing as 11 spd so I might try or the Op might try a 105 mech, which is proably less thna a tyre. (or the cx 70 which often gets a mention)

Also to the Op. On my bike the clearance is huge on the inner ring. So for my feeble legs i can’t ever really see me tackling serious gloop in te outer ring, so provided it doesn’t touch i might be worth giving it a go

ampthill

[url=https://flic.kr/p/QEs4g1]mech[/url] by John Clinch, on Flickr

Its a 37c Hyper Voyager which is apprently bag on a 35mm tyre mounted on the standard rim.

jameso

looks like the Tiagra mech gives a touch less clearance than that 11 speed mech

Shouldn’t do? , but I don’t have them here to compare.
    Having the mech dead straight and not over-shifting past where it needs to be for the outer ring, even by a couple of mm, can make a difference with those long arm mechs also. I’ve seen a fair few with the cable fitted to the wrong part of the FD cable clamp also, worth checking that. The shifting is good with those 11s Shimanos but set up can be a faff..

jimdubleyou

I just bought a cross boss in the end, setting up the mech is beyond my spannering/patience level.

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

Told ya to put 650b on it ;o)

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

Told ya to put 650b on it ;o)

EDIT: Twice

qwerty
    Free Member

I just bought a cross boss

Not sure where WTB take their measurements from but my Cross Boss 35 are 38 at their widest & about 33 across the tread. Great trail tyres but they love collecting mud on the sidewalls when gloopy.

ampthill

Looking at my bike again I do think that my front mech pobably can go to far over

Amazingly the Hyper Voyagers got me round my Ashridge, Berkamstead, Canal Pitstone Hill loop with just one short walk

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Pinnicle arkose 3 tires please?’ is closed to new replies.