• This topic has 1,777 replies, 181 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by plumble.
Viewing 40 posts - 1,641 through 1,680 (of 1,778 total)
  • Pinnacle Arkose Three (jameso to the forum please)
  • BigR

Same height as you and XL is a good fit for me with no adjustments.

madedgar
    Free Member

Cheers BigR, appreciate the input

Ad

troy123
    Free Member

Am looking to get the Pinnacle Arkose D2 2020. Is the D2 in black colour and can that take 650b wheels ? If so, What is the maximum tyre size ?

jameso

https://www.evanscycles.com/pinnacle-arkose-d2-2020-gravel-bike-EV339947

The new Arkose is a benchmark for the versatility this type of bike can offer. The new Arkose frame has full compatibility for wheel size (650B x 52C or 700C x 45mm)

; )
    That is the max, realistically. As ever you could squeeze more in but clearances will be below the EN standards minimum.

teejay58
    Free Member

Hi everyone, I have the latest Arkose D3 and have been wondering if it is safe to attach a Topeak Versacage to the carbon fork? It’s supplied with plastic “versamount” clips for forks without bosses, and the load would be fairly light (approx 1kg per side).

I assume the fork has to be able to put up with much stronger forces than the weight itself, but in trying to research this online, some people understandably caution against clamping anything that might wear/ abrade the fork, so I’m not sure how safe this would be.

Thanks!

jameso

@teejay58, the general concern with fitting anything to the forks is when people use the guard eyelet mounts to fit a rack. The eyelets aren’t designed to be significantly load-bearing and it could cause damage. The clamp-on decks like the Topeak with 1kg might be ok, personally I wouldn’t though – I’m just wary of anything that a carbon fork isn’t tested for as well as wary of the attachment method. A clamp compresses and the carbon layup isn’t designed for that. The clamps are also trying to hold on a tapered fork leg so my main concern would be they move down a bit while you’re riding, loosen then rotate back and go into the wheel.

teejay58
    Free Member

Thanks very much James, I will have a rethink!

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member
    wildsi
    Free Member

I’ve got the Arkose X 2018 bike which is a fantastic bike. I’m slowly upgrading components as they wear out (Hope 20five Wheels, Hope chainring, 11 – 42 Deore cassette, the derailleur was already M6000 😁). Next I’m thinking of getting the 2020 Frameset. I like the colour and the rear thru axle. Question is will it be a straight swap? eg same bottom bracket, tyre clearance etc

waldner
    Free Member

Arkose 2021 models 1-4 and X listed on the website available to pre-order, prices between £750 and £2500 (!) current dates are between October and February.

No product specifications/pics yet…. which makes it impossible to make an informed decision

jameso

I’ve got the Arkose X 2018 bike which is a fantastic bike. I’m slowly upgrading components as they wear out (Hope 20five Wheels, Hope chainring, 11 – 42 Deore cassette, the derailleur was already M6000 😁). Next I’m thinking of getting the 2020 Frameset. I like the colour and the rear thru axle. Question is will it be a straight swap? eg same bottom bracket, tyre clearance etc

That was a classic ‘X’ model imho … pretty much a straight swap, yes. BB shell, headset, post and fork is the same, tyre clearance is a slightly greater on the new frame. Cable routing is easy. Just the rear hub axle to swap.

matt_outandabout

Sadly you have to buy them off Mike what-his-chops now who owns Evans, who I refuse to give a single penny to.

jameso

No product specifications/pics yet…. which makes it impossible to make an informed decision

New website went up today so there’s some specs missing in places, I’m not sure when MY21 Arkose spec and images will go up tbh. Stock-in dates are best seen as approximate until nearer the time as supply chains aren’t as reliable as they were last year.

MoreCashThanDash

Sadly you have to buy them off Mike what-his-chops now who owns Evans, who I refuse to give a single penny to.

The guy who saved the Evans chain and then gave their staff a payrise?

waldner
    Free Member

New website went up today so there’s some specs missing in places, I’m not sure when MY21 Arkose spec and images will go up tbh. Stock-in dates are best seen as approximate until nearer the time as supply chains aren’t as reliable as they were last year.

Thanks I will keep an eye on the website, 5 models for 2021, looking forward to seeing them. The Arkose 1 2018 I have with upgraded wheels is excellent, geometry suits me perfectly

wildsi
    Free Member

Thanks for the reply Jameso – good to know it will be a straight swap. The Hope hubs cans be easily converted from QR to thru axle. My bike will be like Trigger’s broom soon

matt_outandabout

The guy who saved the Evans chain and then gave their staff a payrise?

Lovely guy, generous and helpful.
    https://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/coronavirus-sports-direct-wetherspoons-tim-martin-mike-ashley-jobs-a9425581.html

jameso

Matt, do you buy from Esso, Shell, Nestle etc? Don’t take this the wrong way, this is just a point for perspective and I’m not taking a side vs your views either. But e.g. as much as I might dislike Tim Martin’s politics and what I’ve read about him, I’ll buy a round in a ‘spoons with friends if that’s how it goes – I just wouldn’t choose to go there over another option. I’m ok with that as I’ve made other lifestyle compromises that make a much greater difference even if they disadvantage me – it’s easy to boycott a shop or brand but it’s not so easy to go vegetarian, not fly to go on holiday or ditch the car.
    What I’m getting at is that I have no problem with capitalist voting though I do think we should aim to start with the things that make a real difference first, then filter down as far as you like. If you do that already in a meaningful way then all good. If we simply avoid a few obvious targets but miss/don’t look into the more hidden ills, well, any action you see as positive in this way is a step in the right direction for ethical economics but we have to accept that it’s not as meaningful as it could be.

Edit to add for balance, https://www.insider.co.uk/news/mike-ashley-thanks-sports-direct-22068544 – all staff paid at 100% during furlough period
    – and that’ll be the only post on this aspect from me, I’m on here for Pinnacle related posts. Just though that my silence on the topic could suggest some negativity that I wasn’t prepared to voice, vs my take on things as it is.

finbar
    Free Member

Well OT, but I can’t help but think of this story whenever I read anything about Mike ‘powerdrinker’ Ashley 😀

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-40517276

tthew

Well said jameso! You can get back to the Pinnacles in the moment, but

Mike Ashley would undoubtedly be made poorer by the loss of Evans if everyone avoided it, but he’d hardly be on the bones of his arse. The likes of jameso and his colleagues in the back office and shops would be very much affected, especially as the affects of the Covid induced recession and move to online shopping means many fewer other prospective employers to move to. I’ll continue to buy stuff from them.

matt_outandabout

@jameso – fair point well made.

I agree about log in my own eye (I manage an environmental project for Exxon….)

I’m being too grumpy. I need a ride.

As you were.

rubberdog
    Free Member

Is it just me or have the 2021 Arkose models disappeared from the Evans website? Why can’t we see pictures of them and their specs? And pre-order them? I want to be part of the club dammit!

jameso

^ website’s being updated and there’s some stockfile changes going on, should settle down soon.

waldner
    Free Member

The 2021 models are back on the website now – but no specs or pics,. although taking pre-orders. I’ve emailed them about this and asked for feedback to be sent to the web team, bit naughty to be taking pre-orders when we don’t know the spec.Also that click and collect is not available either, which I would want to do if ordering new bike.

Great that there are new models though. They replied to say they will pass feedback to web error team, website is in process of being updated, seems like they are having a few teething issues.

badstoob
    Free Member

Looks like the 1 is Grey, 2 is Blue, 3 is Black and X is green. Still no pics though.

The last instagram post from Pinnacle bikes was the 2019 so no chance of there being any pics there either. Come on Evans, it’s 2020!!

wildsi
    Free Member

Comparing the 2020 Frameset to the 2018, is the rear axle still 135mm or has it increased to 145mm? Also the 2018 frame has 2 eyelets at the bottom of the seat stays (for mudguards and rear rack) whereas the 2020 frame only looks to have 1. Is it still possible to fit a mudguard and rack at the same time?

jameso

^ new frame has an M5 in the dropout itself and if using that more load-bearing mount for a rack there’s a removable screw-in adapter/’hidden’ M5 eyelet for a guard at the rear.

Rear end is 135m QR or 142mm TA depending on the hanger inserts fitted.

Come on Evans, it’s 2020!!

We’re moving to Tik Tok
    ; )

wildsi
    Free Member

Thanks Jameso. Looks a neat set up

coppice
    Free Member

looks to me like the d1 has become the d2 etc and the frame colours are the same so not expecting a massive difference there just a mild price hike which I can’t blame them for.

I wish i’d ordered a medium D3 back in March when they were on offer.

jameso

^ yes new lower spec entry model planned. ETA depends on Shimano availability though, currently a long way out for Sora and Tiagra level.

10toad10
    Free Member

Hi everyone, just seeing if someone could help me with this. I bought an Arkose D1 in March and in my haste to ride it and inexperience in bikes I didn’t attach the pedal correctly and have since stripped the threads on the driveside of the crankset so I need a new one. Happy to replace like with like, however the only FSA Omega cranksets I can find online say they are 10/11 speed compatible, such as here:

FSA Omega MegaExo 48/32

Does anyone know if this is what is actually supplied with the bike anyway, or if this will be compatible with Sora? I found a comment somewhere online saying the 9-speed crankset is now only available direct to the manufacturer but not sure how true this is and I haven’t been able to get a response from Evans regarding this.
    Any help appreciated, thanks!

waldner
    Free Member

Seems like we are the only 2 here with this question! I was advised on other forums that a 10 speed chainset should work ok with 9 speed setup, although the shifting may a bit less smooth. Maybe it is worth contacting Evans or pay a visit to your local store to see if they have, or can obtain the 9 speed FSA Omega Chainset you need – the email I have had from FSA says the 10 speed version is not compatible, seems like they don’t have the 9 speed chainset available for anyone other than bike retailers/manufacturers which is ridiculous..

Other options you have would be Shimano Sora 9 speed 50-34 chainset, although you would lose some low end gearing, or maybe the Shimano FC-MT210 chainset 46/30 although the latter of those was out of stock everywhere when I searched. Spa cycles have some 9 speed that may also fit, may need a different BB though
    https://www.spacycles.co.uk/

catdras
    Free Member

10/11 speed chainsets will work with 9 speed. The teeth are a bit thinner but will be fine. A 9 speed chainset wouldn’t work with a 10 speed chain because the teeth would be too wide to fit in the chain.

bikerevivesheffield

What size is the maxle on the arkrose 2 (baby blue)

joshvegas
    Free Member

A 9 speed chainset wouldn’t work with a 10 speed chain because the teeth would be too wide to fit in the chain.

The teeth are all exactly the same thickness as the inner dimension remains at 3/32″. The plates on the chain are what get thinner.

waldner
    Free Member

Had an off recently and the RD hanger may be bent. Will try and get it straightened but if I need another one, Evans say the one on their website is the only one available, something about
    transitioning over to the Frasers Group platform, Special Orders team are currently none operational and asking me to email them in 2-3 weeks. Or could try a local store. Just wanted to check the BGRD-3 on the website is NOT suitable for my Arkose 1 2018 ( – says ‘compatible with 2012 onwards – All models of Arkose (V-Brake). Mine has Discs.
    https://www.evanscycles.com/brand/pinnacle/bgrd-3-derailleur-hanger-972116#colcode=97211601

allanoleary
    Free Member

The hanger should be BGRD-4.

jameso

^ correct

bikerevivesheffield

what is the correc hanger for an Arkrose disc? got 2 tiny screws to hold it in??

jameso

Year? There’s been 3 frame revisions of the Arkose disc.

Viewing 40 posts - 1,641 through 1,680 (of 1,778 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.