• This topic has 1,777 replies, 181 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by plumble.
Viewing 40 posts - 1,601 through 1,640 (of 1,778 total)
  • Pinnacle Arkose Three (jameso to the forum please)
  • leythervegas
    Free Member

null

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ANEsfaQfEjXjJPeLA

Here’s my R1. Liking it very much so far after a few short rides. Upgraded the tyres to something I can go off road with and abetter seat for my fat arse.

jameso

Anyone know what torque setting is recommended for the seat clamp on the 2020 frame?
    Have found I can carry my X upright in my small estate with front wheel off and forks bolted to a fork mount on the folded back seat. However, I’ll need to remove the seat post each time so thought about getting a preset torque key, but not sure whether to get a 4nm or 5nm (might need both if I carry the carbon road bike), but what should I use for the Arkose? Cheers

Missed this earlier sorry. 5Nm will be fine unless using a carbon post, then it’d be worth checking if the post is up to that. But I expect most are designed to take 5Nm plus some over-torque.

easily
    Free Member

The bike has been great, except for two punctures on the first three rides

I bang on about this all the time – it’s the Riddlers, they puncture like they’re made of tissue paper, and they are tough to get on and off.

I’d swap them for something else as early as possible.

luv2ride
    Free Member

Cheers Jameso , 5nm it is…

Rustychain
    Free Member

I bang on about this all the time – it’s the Riddlers, they puncture like they’re made of tissue paper, and they are tough to get on and off.

I’d swap them for something else as early as possible.

Yep, the Riddlers do seem to be a little delicate. I’ve set them up tubeless and so far they’ve been okay. I’ve got some Panaracers in for when they need replacing.

chrisdb
    Free Member

Here is my Arkose. It doubles up as a commuter with mudguards, a rack and the original wheels running G-One Speed 37s tubeless (smooth and comfy), and a winter road bike in the guise below with 32mm Conti 5k on Scribe duty wheels.

Just recently went to an Ultegre crank to use a powermeter and an oval chainring.

Love it!

null

MoreCashThanDash

I also resorted to trying the Riddlers tubeless – worse than tissue paper, as that is at least easy to get off the rim. Better as tubeless, but do still seem to lose a little air every other ride, probably need to top up the tubeless gunk.

Just wanted to wear them out rather than ditching them – 38mm Gravel Kings sat waiting to go on

winston
    Free Member

I have an Arkose X from 2018. It has the 1x Samox Crankset. Can I replace the samox BB with a shimano XT M800 mountain bb?

or do I need a road specific bb (i.e BBR60) like I would if I had an Arkose with a 105 or Ultegra crankset?

waldner
    Free Member

I’d also like to upgrade the FSA Omega Mega Exo 48-32T from my 2018 Arkose 1 – any suggestions?

I emailed FSA to ask their newer 46-30 chainset are compatible with 9 speed, as they say its for 10-11 speed – no reply.

Ideally I would prefer the lighter Shimano GRX 400 Crankset but again unsure of compatibility with 9 speed. I guess I’d need their Front Mech as well.
    https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/product/component/grx-10-speed/FC-RX600-10.html

I think The only other option is Praxis Alba 2d? – think I recall from a few years ago to say it will work with 9 speed but shifting may not be as smooth..

any suggestions welcome

luv2ride
    Free Member

Looking to change the 42t Rival 1x chainring on my 2019 Arkose X. Need a little help up some of the short steep hills near me, and couldn’t see me getting up these fully loaded. Unsure whether to go 38t or 40t, and also whether to try Absolute Black oval direct mount over a Force CX1 replacement ring. Anyone gone down this route with their Arkose X? Anything to watch out for? I’m mindful I often use 42×11 gear on the flat (unloaded), so not sure if 38t would be too much of a drop, but then presume loose gravel climbs will be a lot easier…

luv2ride
    Free Member

^Winston. I replaced my Samox BB on my 2015 Arkose singlespeed (same cranks?) with Shimano XT one.

turnpike
    Free Member

Can anyone tell me if small Arkose D2 is the right way to go for 5’9″ but just 30 inside leg? I can fit med bikes usually, but standover looks a little high on the Arkose.

Also does anyone know if can you pay cash on top of cyclescheme voucher when ordering online?

Thanks.

donald
    Free Member

I’m pretty sure you need a medium. I’m an inch and a half taller than you and on the edge between medium and large

MoreCashThanDash

5’9 and 31″ leg, medium is fine for me

grantyboy
    Free Member

5’8 and 30″ leg, also on medium and its fine

duncancallum

I’m 5.8 29.5 inner on a medium

I’d possibly rather have a small. I fitted a shorter stem though.

easily
    Free Member

I’m 5’8 and ride an Arkose. It suits me fine.

luv2ride
    Free Member

I’m on my second Arkose, both Medium. I’m 5’8 with 31″inseam. Kept the stock 80mm stems on both too. Found the geo super comfy, with only 10mm spacer under the stem.

turnpike
    Free Member

Thanks all! Sounds like medium will be fine but also small may work as I have fairly short legs. Obviously will try in person if possible although not an option right now where I am.

ransos
    Free Member

Yep. I fitted gravelking sk’s, which have been much better.

As for sizing, I’m also 5’9″ and ride a medium, which has plenty of clearance.

easily
    Free Member

Um, I just realised I forgot the word ‘small’ in my post, which renders it meaningless. So once again:

I’m 5’8 and ride a SMALL Arkose. I could have gone for a medium – which would be my usual size – but like you I found the standover height a bit much.
    I haven’t had any problems with the size of the small.

white101

I have an Arkose 3 from 2015, once the original Alex rims died a painful crunching death (after 5000 miles) I picked up some more road minded wheels Mavic Askium.

I’m now on the hunt for a set of gravelly/cx wheels in prep for the winter and getting it off road again, one bike all year round option, rather than 2 bikes, I know this will have me struck off STW for treason but budgets will be budgets.

Whats currently popular or available? I have a budget of around £250 and need QR hubs. Rotors, tyres and cassette already sorted.

mr_stru

I’m 5′ 10″ but with short legs (about 30″) and I’ve got a medium and it’s been a good fit.

turnpike
    Free Member

Now I’ve decided on a medium, thanks! I’ve been discussing this elsewhere but it was suggested I ask here.

As the R2 and D2 are almost the same price right now, would you..

Buy the R2 with the 105 gearing and other road spec, then have a 2nd wheel set/tyres for offroad.
    OR
    Get the D2 with tiagra and maybe add extra road wheels and/or tyres if speed bothers me?

Maybe the answer is, it depends on which you do most of. I want to use it for some easy family offroad and try some more longer distance road riding myself. I’ve been getting into that during lockdown on a smart trainer.

Looks to me the main things other than wheels are the 50-34 versus 48-32 chainset and flared bars.

Cheers!

wulisu
    Free Member

Hi everyone, I need your help. I have a Arkose 2 2018 and my plan is to build a new set of 650b wheels. But need to know the size of front and rear hub.
    The new arkose has Front HubNovatec 32H 2 sealed bearing 12 x 100mmRear HubNovatec 32H 2 sealed bearing 12 x 142mm what about arkose 2 2018? Does anybody know? James are you here?

tenfoot

I’m now on the hunt for a set of gravelly/cx wheels in prep for the winter

I put a set of Shimano RX010 Disc wheels on my 2015 Arkose. They have QR hubs, I run them with 40mm WTB Nano tyres but I did have to buy centrelock disc adaptors to fit. I got them from Chain Reaction (£90) and they seem pretty decent. Lighter than the Alexrims they replaced. I don’t know if they can be used tubeless though.

turnpike
    Free Member

I’ve just ordered an Arkose 2020 D2. Is it a thru axle at the rear? If so could someone tell me the spec so I can get a spare for my trainer? Cheers!

luv2ride
    Free Member

To the Arkose X owners. Has anyone weighed their stock 650b wheelset?

According to the Evan’s website the spec is:
    Rims WTB ST Light i25 TCS 27.5/650b 32 hole, sleeved, tubeless ready
    Front Hub Novatec 32H 2 sealed bearing 12 x 100mm
    Rear Hub Novatec 32H 4 sealed bearing 12 x 142mm

Wondering whether new wheels may be a worthy upgrade? Recently switched the Rival 42t ring to an AB 38t oval ring which suits my offroad riding better, but now contemplating some lighter wheels…

Edit: elsewhere on the Evan’s site they’re listed as approx 1.89kg, so not exactly light…

wulisu
    Free Member

Is anybody has for sale stem 90 mm from Arkose ?

winston
    Free Member

Hi – it maybe in the thread already but there are 41 pages!

What wheel bearings does the 2017/18 Arkose X take?  It has the 700c Alex rims with a Novatec rear hub and an unbranded front one.  Conflicting reports from a quick google – some say loose ball others say cartridge…..

Jameso?

jameso

@winston – Arkose X ’17 front hub is a Joytech D371RCC-12, so cup and cone according to the spec info I have.

waldner
    Free Member

I would like to source a replacement front thru axle for my Arkose 1 2018 due to wear and tear – it says QR264-F on it.

Total Thru axle length is 125mm and Axle diameter 10mm but unsure of thread pitch. It looks like 1mm but I could be wrong can anyone confirm the size or model I need for a replacement?

jameso

SRAM Maxle / Shimano E-thru spec thread = both are M12 x 1.5mm pitch at the front. 15mm fork dropout width unthreaded side, 10mm width threaded disc side.

waldner
    Free Member

Hi

Thanks for your reply. Still slightly confused with all the numbers in product descriptions.

Looks like what I have is this
    https://www.eshop.novatecwheels.eu/eshop/qr264f-en-12-shim-alloy-12x100x125l-m12xp15-w-nut-novatec-logo/p-329487.xhtml

I like the look of option 1 below, if the thread length of the thru axle is a few mm longer than the original would this make any difference?

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/brand-x-bolt-thru-axle/rp-prod176624

madedgar
    Free Member

‘ey up everyone.

Does anybody here use their Arkose as long distance tourer? I am sure they do!

Considering a D1 or D2 for my LEJOG trip later on this year and feel it might fit the bill pretty well.

Anyone have any thoughts? I am looking at an XL being 6’2”.

Cheers,
    Ad

andy74
    Free Member

Hi all, new to the forum. I have just bought an Arkose x frameset and am well on the way with building it up, whilst I wait for an answer from Evans regarding a query that I sent via email the day it was delivered. When the frame arrived I looked it over and found the paint wasn’t finished off properly around the cable entry on the left side of the downtube. Bare aluminium shows when the blanking plate is fitted. I Have emailed Evans customer service 3 weeks ago when I took delivery to ask if a touch up paint exists and as yet I have had no reply. Does anyone know if I can get a touch up paint for the metallic green?
    Also the rear mech hanger for the thru axle was already fitted prior to delivery and was damaged on the corner. Since it is virtually impossible to get a reply from Evans, can this hanger be purchased seperately?
    Apart from those 2 small niggles the frame looks great and I am really looking forward to finishing the build and having a ride on it

tinribz
    Free Member

For no good reason here is a pic of jnr’s medium 2020 from yesterday:

Arkose 2020

jameso

@andy74 – this is the Arkose TA hanger https://www.evanscycles.com/pinnacle-bgrd-10-thru-axle-hanger-EV356216
    Touch-ups aren’t available sorry as it’s a Taiwan paint supplier/code but some car or motorbike paints can be a good match, or just some clear laquer if it’s otherwise covered up.

andy74
    Free Member

Thanks @jameso, that is a shame about the paint. I will see what I can do as bare aluminium shows around the edge and catches the eye. I might just use some black to match the blanking plate. Good to know I can get a hanger.
    I have at last received a reply from customer services advising me to make an appointment at my local store for them to advise, so will see how I get on.

madedgar
    Free Member

Afternoon,

Planning to use an Arkose D for my LEJOG trip later on this year and feel it might fit the bill pretty well.

Anyone have any thoughts? I am looking at an XL being 6’2” – does this sound about right? Is the sizing generally spot on? Had a look through the thread for an answer already, but couldn’t find one.
    Any help appreciated.

Cheers,
    Ad

Viewing 40 posts - 1,601 through 1,640 (of 1,778 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.