• This topic has 1,777 replies, 181 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by plumble.
Viewing 40 posts - 1,561 through 1,600 (of 1,778 total)
  • Pinnacle Arkose Three (jameso to the forum please)
  • grantyboy
    Free Member

I saw Evans selling off the 650b wheel sets for £139.99 the other day

hochmatoch
    Free Member

@grantyboy aye I saw that too! So to be even more specific, and maybe @jameso you’re the best person to ask….would it be possible to adapt said Evans 650B wheelset to fit the 2018 Arkose frame?

gordon85
    Free Member

Looking like a good deal at Evans at the mo.

Think I might be joining the fold – seem to be the best deal / bike out there.

frogmeister
    Free Member

Jameso, do you know if there’s any plans to sell the X version as a frame only option? I personally would prefer a full carbon fork but don’t see any options for that on the standard frame. Thanks.

jameso

would it be possible to adapt said Evans 650B wheelset to fit the 2018 Arkose frame?

It is, but the reason these are on sale is the factory omitted the adapters. They may be available elsewhere but I don’t know where sorry – they’re Novatec hubs though. The front hub is convertible for QR/12/15 and the rear hub for QR/12.

any plans to sell the X version as a frame only option?

Evans plan is not to sell framesets unf in future, so no. The demand for frames is a low % of bikes.

dmw536
    Free Member

On the subject of spares etc I can’t manage to get hold of a spare mech hanger for my Arkose X (Thru axle) and am heading on a 3 month tour on mine soon (lucky me). Somewhat nervous about not having a spare hanger!

Any idea where / when I could get one?

luv2ride
    Free Member

Mine came with 2 x hangers in a bag when I picked it up from Evans?

russl
    Free Member

Yeah I got a spare hanger too, it’s in with all the bits and bobs that came with it, didn’t know but I came across it when I was having a sort out last night.

lankystreakofpee

On the subject of spares, can anyone tell me what they received with theirs?

When I picked mine up from Evans I got nothing apart from the receipt. I queried it at the time but I was told that’s normal nowadays.

I’ve since realised I should have had the mudguard adaptor but it’s taken a month of chasing Evans so far via chat and email and I’m no further forward.

Great bike, pants customer service from Evans so far 🙁

jameso

When I picked mine up from Evans I got nothing apart from the receipt. I queried it at the time but I was told that’s normal nowadays.

I’ve since realised I should have had the mudguard adaptor but it’s taken a month of chasing Evans so far via chat and email and I’m no further forward.

Great bike, pants customer service from Evans so far 🙁

Not normal – you should get the owners manual at least. The spare mounts we ordered have been used up because that useful box with the spares that are supposed to be fitted to / supplied with the bike don’t always get to the buyer. One batch had them in the spares box with the manual etc but the rest have been factory-fitted. And now, tbh, getting spares ETA info across a big company seems harder than it really should be. We have more arriving end of Jan or early Feb, there is a PO for the parts on our system.

Anyway … code EV356227, mudguard mount, right? PM me your address if it is, I have one left here in the spares box and ‘my’ Arkose X has gone back to the office now. Will be able to post it by end next week.

(ha, just looked the part up on our site and out of stock, yet it’s at 50% off in the sale.. it’s a proprietary guard mount for an Arkose for a fiver RRP… amazing.)

markgoldstein
    Free Member

Looking for some advice on sizing…

A medium 2020 Arkose with the stock 80mm stem and no spacers has a stack of 607 and reach of 464.

A small Arkose with a 100mm stem and 10mm of spacers has a stack of 603 and reach of 469.

My current road bike has a stack of 594 and reach of 469.

And yes, before anyone asks, I have already test-ridden both setups at my local Evans! Although only on the road.

The medium seemed more “flickable”, the small more stable.

Having not owned a gravel bike before, which setup would be more suitable for a 50/50 mix of road and gravel/bridleways/light trails?

I’m 5ft 10 with 31-inch inside leg, which the size charts say is definitely a medium, but the stack and reach really aren’t all that different in the above setups…

simondbarnes

(ha, just looked the part up on our site and out of stock, yet it’s at 50% off in the sale.. it’s a proprietary guard mount for an Arkose for a fiver RRP… amazing.)

Probably getting tips from Sports Direct 🙂

lankystreakofpee

Hi Jameso, many thanks for the kind offer. I’ve kind of got to the point now where I’m thinking it’s not worth putting mudguards on for a few weeks as its nearly spring and it will be nice and dry soon 🙂

I’ve had a reply back from Evans today so I’ll see how it goes and hopefully I’ll have the mount ready for autumn/winter. I was curious as to what I should have received more than anything.

Appreciate your reply though, your input on here was one of the main reasons I ended up with the Arkose. Great bike btw, I’ve hardly touched my other bikes since buying it!

dmw536
    Free Member

Yep, strangely enough my bike came with a spare QR hanger, so unless I take a spare rear quick release wheel with me too it’s not much use haha.
    No idea who packed that one up!

Fingers crossed the come back in stock by end of the month.

jameso

No problem LSo’P

(will never get used to referring to people by avatar names!)

dmw536 – I have 1 thru-axle set spare here – will do you a deal, if you’re happy to pass your QR set onto anyone asking on here in future just PM me I’ll post them out this week.

luv2ride
    Free Member

Jameso, sorry to be a pain but do we know whether there should have been blanks or covers provided for the inside of the forks on the new Arkose? Ive adopted the duct tape method of keeping stuff out of the fork leg (especially given the gloopy conditions), but keen to know if there is a neater solution…

Re: the hangars, mine came with one marked BGRD-10, and another unmarked one but with nowhere to bolt a derailleur to…

jameso

^ I would say yes.. though we don’t seem to have any. We have the brake hose grommet but no dynamo wire cover. I need to look into what’s in the parts box that has the guard mount in it but I doubt they’re there. We’ll order some in and make available to owners, will update here. Bit of a double whammy of some office changes and spares/slow lines clearances last half of 2019 and that’s one that slipped sorry.

luv2ride
    Free Member

Cheers Jameso, will keep an eye on this thread. Still loving the X btw!

dmw536
    Free Member

James that would be amazing. Of course if anyone wants the QR set more than happy to give them away as have no use to them.
    Will PM you James, may well save my skin in the middle of Patagonia in March!

leythervegas
    Free Member

Has anyone got feedback on the Arkose A8? Wondering how the Alfine is on a gravel bike? I’ve heard they are really heavy – is that the case here? Mynother option is the R1.

jameso

I’ve heard they are really heavy – is that the case here?

Heavy as a hub, about the same or a bit less than a Deore 3×9 as a drivetrain from what I remember. The weight on the rear axle does change how the bike feels and whether that’s a negative depends on how you ride – it’s less of an issue on a gravel bike than an MTB ime (not hopping/jumping etc) and the bigger the tyre the less you notice it.

@dmw536
    – not had a PM with your post address for the hanger?

xcpootler
    Free Member

So…I’ve joined the club! Arkose R2 on sale for £810 plus being able to use C2W made it too much of a bargain to miss.

BigR

Just waiting for my C2W voucher to be processed. Has anyone managed to get an 11-40 cassette to work with the Ultegra RX800? I know Shimano are a bit conservative with their ranges for derailleurs so interested in any real world experience. Planning on using it loaded for a couple of ‘hilly’ trips.

easily
    Free Member

Hello

Anyone tried SKS Speedrockers on a Pinnacle?

I have an Arkose 3 2018, currently running with 700×38 Vittoria Revolutions. The mudguards I’m using are a PITA for various reasons, so I’m looking to change. The Speedrockers are laughably expensive, but tick most of my other boxes – I just wish the rest extended bit further towards the bottom bracket.

@jameso

I’ve had the Arkose for just over a year, and it’s by far my most ridden bike. Thanks, that’s some good work you did there.

DougD

My GF has just bought herself an Arkose D1 in the sale which looks like a great bike. Just going through the mudguard options at the moment, has anyone tried to fit the SKS Bluemels Stingrays 45mm to one? Wondering if it’ll be too tight a fit with the front mech (medium frame size) or not quite enough clearance for the 45c tyres.

jameso

Wondering if it’ll be too tight a fit with the front mech (medium frame size) or not quite enough clearance for the 45c tyres.

Clearance is ~45mm max w/o guards, or 40mm with. 45mm guards will fit over a 35-40mm tyre. Maybe over a 42mm road tyre. A bit of ingenuity is needed near the FD if you’re maxing out the clearances with a bigger guard – heat and deform it at that point, or a cut out can work.

@easily
    – thanks back, it’s great to hear, glad it’s working out for you. I love all-roader bikes like this.

DougD

Clearance is ~45mm max w/o guards, or 40mm with. 45mm guards will fit over a 35-40mm tyre. Maybe over a 42mm road tyre. A bit of ingenuity is needed near the FD if you’re maxing out the clearances with a bigger guard – heat and deform it at that point, or a cut out can work.

Awesome, that’s good to know, thanks Jameso.

mcnultycop

I’ve sold my 2015 Arkose 4 today and the guy has just picked up within the last few minutes.

A sad day, but it was getting used the least out of all my bikes as I’ve been pretty much solidly on the road for the last couple for years and when I’ve gone off road it’s been “proper” mountain biking. It seems like it has gone to a good home.

jameso

@dougd – was told the other day that someone’s had 60mm guards over the Riddler 45s on an Arkose. I expect they had to trim them at the FD area as that’s the closest point, and I’ve not tried it so not sure what kind of gap they got between tyre and guard (might get a mo in workshop in coming week or 2) – just fwiw.

Steveo

I just picked up a ?2017 womens d1 arkrose secondhand, for the gf. Can anyone please tell me which mudguards work best for a c40mm x 700c tyre? Looking for full length guards. They are the carbon forks with the single mount halfway up the leg and a mount hole under the fork arch. No mount near the front wheel qr dropouts.
    Many thanks

jb72
    Free Member

@steveo I’d go for 45mm SKS Bluemels .. work well with my 700×37 tyres and fit through the forks.

Steveo

Has anyone tried 53mm bluemels?

Steveo

bump

jameso

Has anyone tried 53mm bluemels?

I’ve not but my guess is they will fit if you make some adaptation to not limit F mech arm when on the outer ring. ie, cut a section out just at that point or indent with help of a hot hair drier. They’ll fit the forks for sure. The frame has 55mm+ space between the stays at the shoulder area of a 45mm tyre. You may need to trim the taper to the end tab that fits to the chainstay bridge – so the guard fits there but doesn’t sit between the stays themselves.

chrisdb
    Free Member

I have an Arkose 4 2018 and was hoping for advice on cranksets to utilise my 4iiii Ultegra crank power meter. I bought the bike to use for commuting but I’ve started using it for longer rides in winter and would like to see power.

I was thinking about changing the Rival crank for Shimano GRX 42T and using the ultegra 4iiii power meter this way, but I’ve heard it mention that the q factors would be different – is this an issue?

Sorry if this is a daft question! Thanks for any advice.

gordon85
    Free Member

Got a D3, about a month old.

Looks like the freewheel has gone dicky – a heavy grating noise and then sometimes the freewheel will ‘catch’ as tho its a fixie.

Anyone had similar?

jameso

@gordon85 doesn’t sond right.. get the shop to have a look, it’s easy enough to pop the freehub off – and keep me posted? Thanks.

gordon85
    Free Member

All sorted, apparently a seal popped off and the freehub got full of shit.

Sounded grindy af.

luv2ride
    Free Member

Anyone know what torque setting is recommended for the seat clamp on the 2020 frame?
    Have found I can carry my X upright in my small estate with front wheel off and forks bolted to a fork mount on the folded back seat. However, I’ll need to remove the seat post each time so thought about getting a preset torque key, but not sure whether to get a 4nm or 5nm (might need both if I carry the carbon road bike), but what should I use for the Arkose? Cheers

Rustychain
    Free Member

I picked up a D3 a couple of weeks ago. The bike has been great, except for two punctures on the first three rides. 🙂

Does anyone else suffer from rattling 105 shifters? When riding on anything corrugated (e.g. tractor tyre imprints) they start rattling away and are getting a bit annoying.

Any easy fixes?

Viewing 40 posts - 1,561 through 1,600 (of 1,778 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.